Menu

*good* preschool worksheets?

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for good preschooler worksheets that would take more than 2 minutes to complete. It seems to not end up being worth my time to sift through 20 crummy ones to find one good one when I'm really just trying to buy time for schooling my big kids. Are there free printable books of worksheets that could save time in printing? Other ideas?

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for good preschooler worksheets that would take more than 2 minutes to complete. It seems to not end up being worth my time to sift through 20 crummy ones to find one good one when I'm really just trying to buy time for schooling my big kids. Are there free printable books of worksheets that could save time in printing? Other ideas?

I'm sorry, I don't think there is any such thing.

Two minutes is about the right amount of time for an academic preschool activity, for one thing. :) I'm afraid you'll stay frustrated if you keep looking for time-consuming worksheets at this stage. Not that there aren't good preschool materials, like the readiness books from Sonlight, MP's letters, colors, and numbers, Kumon -- but those are to be done with you, as you know, so they don't help to occupy preschoolers while you do something else.

Open-ended toys and activities will probably buy you some more time.

Blank paper, or writing surfaces, of various kinds (construction paper, newsprint, lined paper, patterned paper, cardboard; chalkboard, white board, magnadoodle)

Writing implements of various kinds (chubby crayons, regular crayons, markers, chalk)

Easel, board, newsprint, and preschool-friendly cups of paint (with lids and thick brushes)

Block play

Toy houses, farm sets, train sets

Water table, sand table -- some children will play literally for hours, bathing their dolls or digging tunnels for cars and trucks

• Like 5

Tibbie is right; two minutes is about right for preschoolers, open ended toys get a ton of mileage at my house. Duplo/Lego, trains, blocks, the kitchen set, and the Imaginext Batman stuff are favorites. (But the best toys of all are his brothers; there is one 33 months older and one 25 months younger, so he's rarely bored or lonely.)

However, my preschooler asks to do school like the big kids do. He wants actual papers to hold and to show Daddy at the end of the day. He does a lot of finger paint, water colors, crayons, etc., but sometimes he wants more. So I google "free printable preschool pack theme" (where theme can be dinosaurs, super heroes, fall, dogs, whatever), and lots of good stuff pops up. He gets little things he can sort and glue by size, cutting lines, stuff to trace, shadows to match, rows of things where he circles which one is different, etc. I generally pick ones he can do on his own if I tell him what to do (I'll tell him to sort them by size, and then I'll work with the next biggest brother, who sits next to the preschooler at the table, so I am right there. But I also spend some time doing the counting ones and helping him with the letter ones if he wants. If you're on Pinterest, PM me here, and I'll give you my Pinterest link, because I have plenty of preschool packs on my Pinterest boards.

Love Tibbie's suggestions. Also check into lacing cards and the preschool activity bag ideas at Paula's Archives.

How about Letter of the Week free printables and activities?

You can get The Complete Book of Preschool (200 pages of full color worksheets, basically for shipping -- this older edition is $.01 + $3.99 shipping) -- that's about 2 cents/worksheet. ;) To see similar kinds of worksheet activities, here's the new edition that has the "look inside" feature.

Scissor practice / activities? (herehere, and here are printable ones

How about reusable stickers / sticker scenes?

Pattern blocks and designs to recreate? (here's a site with printable patterns)

Paint with water? (small bucket of water, and old, clean paint brush -- child goes outside and "paints" the fence, the side of the house, etc.)

The Do-a-Dot Markers with the Do-a-Dot 'coloring' sheets entertained my youngest when he was 3. They're fun, plus they can help with fine motor skills. I got them from Rainbow Resource. If the markers are well-liked, Confessions of a Homeschooler has printables that are letters for Do-a-Dot markers too.

I love Kumon workbooks and the Christian Liberty Press Preschool workbook.  I think they're the most developmentally appropriate (as much as workbooks can be, anyway).  My preschoolers LOVE doing "school" with the big kids.  But the pages don't take long to do.  

There's a cute book of Cuisenaire rod based worksheets that we had that were "good." Coloring is good for kids this age for small motor skills, but if they only spend two minutes, then that's what they spend. I used to sit with my sons and make the worksheet together. I'd draw pictures and ask them to circle the ones with a certain sound or I'd start drawing an amount and ask them to finish so there were five or seven or whatever. Mostly I agree with all the above advice. Worksheets and preschoolers aren't a great match all the time.