Menu

Another 'what would you make' discussion - allergies involved

snickerplum

I love meal planning. No sarcasm. But when people come to visit I really feel thrown for a loop. Help!

Here are my problems...

1. Our grill is out of order, so all the cooking will need to be done inside. Bummer, but not horrible.

2. 7 year old cannot eat dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, potatoes (sweet potatoes are okay), tomatoes, rice, coconut, wheat/gluten, corn, bananas, kiwi, strawberries and all nightshades. I prefer to make things we all can eat, but obviously I have to substitute sometimes. Something's are easy (mashed cauliflower for her, mashed potatoes for us), but things like lasagna get tricky (9 year old is gluten free) because I end up making three of them. I was thinking tacos, but i have to make dd7's tortillas, make seperate meat and no one in-state sells her fake cheese and we're out.

3. I'm not crafty with veggies. My family is fine with green beans, broccoli and peas. I rotate those using various preparations and all is well. We don't often have salads.

I also don't know how long they'll be here (!!). My guess is 4 nights, but it could be more. They're staying at a hotel, so I'm thinking they'll have breakfast before they come over in the mornings. So I'm looking

I've come up with:

Pork chops with a bacon and onion sauce

Balsamic chicken

Chicken in an Italian marinade

Soup (even though it is terribly hot here...)

What sides might you serve? What other main dishes? TIA!!

Broiled Turkey burgers with gluten free buns, sweet potato oven fries on the side.  And a green salad and/ or one of your normal veggie sides.

Watch out for the Italian marinade if it is store bought.  Most have pepper bits in it.  (Also I can't resist mentioning that the tomato and potato are both nightshades but they are so common that it is good to be esp. aware of them.)

Tacos are pretty much impossible to make nightshade free.  (My dd is allergic to nightshades).

• Like 1

These are your kids' allergies?  I would make separate for them.  If possible, I'd make bigger amounts of their food ahead and freeze, so that you can simply reheat without going to a lot of trouble while you're trying to entertain.  (For example, I have a kiddo who is on temporary restrictions from beef/chicken/pork/fish but can have turkey and wheat but no yeast, and I keep in the freezer cooked turkey italian sausage and homemade biscuits that sub as buns/bread, etc.)

• Like 1

Broiled Turkey burgers with gluten free buns, sweet potato oven fries on the side. And a green salad and/ or one of your normal veggie sides.

Watch out for the Italian marinade if it is store bought. Most have pepper bits in it. (Also I can't resist mentioning that the tomato and potato are both nightshades but they are so common that it is good to be esp. aware of them.)

Tacos are pretty much impossible to make nightshade free. (My dd is allergic to nightshades).

I was thinking burgers too, nice easy meal.

most chili has tomato and chili powder in it (both nightshades)

I haven't seen tomatoes in white bean chili but maybe it's regional. 

My kids don't really like chili powder so I just add more oregano and cumin. I'm so used to doing that I'd forgotten about the chili powder!

I guess I should call it white bean and turkey stew.  :)

I haven't seen tomatoes in white bean chili but maybe it's regional. 

My kids don't really like chili powder so I just add more oregano and cumin. I'm so used to doing that I'd forgotten about the chili powder!

I guess I should call it white bean and turkey stew.  :)

I had to look up a recipe.  I guess you were right.  I was imagining a red chili but using white beans (like navy beans or cannellini).  Sorry about that. . . but still, recipes do call for chili's of some kind.  

• Like 1

I was just going to suggest the nightshade free pasta sauce.  

http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2014/09/tomato-less-marinara-sauce-nightshade.html

Add some turkey/chicken sausage or meatballs.

ETA:  A ham dinner, cooking the ham in a large crockpot?  Then you would have the added bonus of having leftover ham available for sandwiches/lettuce wraps for lunch the next day.  

A simple spinach salad, glazed carrots (pick a fat that is compliant with their diet, like duck fat which is delicious and cheap), and salmon with dill and honey mustard would be my pick. Yummy and simple.