Menu

How does this look for 10th?

Okay, how does this look? My son is 2E, a true slacker, and not interested in schoolwork. But, he needs to get it done. So...this is the schedule we are looking at. 

Math: Teaching Textbooks Geometry, as well as finishing TT Algebra 2. He should finish it in September or so. Not sure if I should wait to start Geometry until he is done or just have him do both. He is behind finishing Algebra 2 partly because he was in public school part of the year before starting over, and then switching programs. And partly because of the aforementioned slacker nature, and menot realizing he was blowing it off until too late. That is no longer an issue. He's good at math, doesn't like it, but good enough. 

Science: Biology using the Kolbe syllabus and Miller Levine Dragonfly book, plus virtual labs and hands on labs. We got a scholarship so can afford a microscope and everything, so will do microscope labs, a few dissections (probably a fish, squid, and shrimp as part of a fishing trip with science loving Grandpa. I will make him do drawings/identification, etc, this won't just be using it as bait and not really dissecting).  Also he may be working at an Animal clinic and get do do some stuff there as well. 

Social Studies: American History, using Bookshark 8 (not the literature parts, just the history parts). That is only scheduled 4 days a week so I will be adding about 20 days worth of documentaries ... Ken Burns stuff like the Roosevelt series and probably the Civil War series. Not sure what else. 

English: For writing I think we are going with The Power in Your Hands, by Sharon Watson. For reading we will do American literature, probably on our own. I'm thinking I'll have him read the books and keep a composition book of notes, or I'll make up notebooking pages, or something.... to have him research the author, the time period it was written, etc as well as notes about it. Working towards some more involved papers towards the end of the year, but honestly mostly discussion. Mostly his writing will be from the Power in Your Hands

program. We MIGHT use Sonlight 430 Literature, but might not. Books I want him to read include The Scarlett Letter, A Separate Peace, The Chosen, The Autobiography of Malcolm X, The Grapes of Wrath, Their Eyes Were Watching God (we live near where Zora Neal Hurston lived), and probably The Great Gatsby, although maybe not. Some short stories as well, I'll get an anthology. 

Foreign Language: Latin 1, signing up for the online classes via PREP that use Henle.  http://magistrajones.blogspot.com/p/high-school-latin-i-online-class.html He started Latin 1 on his own last year but needs an online class for the structure, and to have someone to ask questions of. I don't know latin :)

Fall Dual Enrollment: Network Essentials, it's a prerequisite for all the networking computer classes at the local college. He's hoping to progress through and get some industry certifications. This is his area of interest. 

Spring Dual Enrollment: Programming Basics. Another prerequisite for most of the computer classes at the college. 

So, does that look good?

• Like 2

Looks great. Here, the kids have to take PE every year, but you probably have physical activity going on.

Here they just need one year, of combined health and fitness, and we did it last year. He does have a gym membership, skateboards around the neighborhood, etc. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with DebbS (for the same reason she listed), and would complete one math credit before starting the other. Otherwise, it looks great, with a solid set of required credits, plus a little dual enrollment:

1 credit = Math (Algebra 2)

1 credit = Science (Biology)

1 credit = Soc. Studies (Amer. History)

1 credit = English (Compositon / American Lit)

1 credit = For. Lang (Latin 1)

1 credit = Elective: Computer (Networking Essentials / Programming Basics)**

total = 6 credits**

** = each 1-semester college course may be allowed to be counted as 1 credit, depending on the rigor of the courses and on the dual enrollment policies in your area

• Like 1