Menu

Derek Owens Classes

I see lots of positive things here about Derek Owens classes.

But I'm wondering what kind of students are the target audience. Will "regular" students fit in and have the potential to do well, or is the target audience advanced or very advanced students? 

Thanks!

My "regular" boys have taken Derek's Algebra I and Physical Science courses. They just started  his Physics course. The boys have done well with them. We're happy with them.

One thing to understand about the classes is that they are asynchronous, meaning that there are no "live" class meetings, so they take a little more self-discipline than live online classes. Students watch recorded lessons online while completing the notes in the accompanying text. They pause the lessons to work through sample problems and then continue the lesson to see how Derek works them out. After the lesson, they complete some independent practice problems and check their answers against the posted answers. They complete "homework" assignments which they email to Derek to be graded. At the end of each unit, there's a test which they also email to be graded. 

Normally, my children prefer live online classes. However, a self-paced async class is perfect when they want/need to be able to work on their own schedule. They've found Derek's recorded lessons to be very clear, and, if they have questions, he is always available via email to help.

My "regular" boys have taken Derek's Algebra I and Physical Science courses. They just started  his Physics course. The boys have done well with them. We're happy with them.

One thing to understand about the classes is that they are asynchronous, meaning that there are no "live" class meetings, so they take a little more self-discipline than live online classes. Students watch recorded lessons online while completing the notes in the accompanying text. They pause the lessons to work through sample problems and then continue the lesson to see how Derek works them out. After the lesson, they complete some independent practice problems and check their answers against the posted answers. They complete "homework" assignments which they email to Derek to be graded. At the end of each unit, there's a test which they also email to be graded. 

Normally, my children prefer live online classes. However, a self-paced async class is perfect when they want/need to be able to work on their own schedule. They've found Derek's recorded lessons to be very clear, and, if they have questions, he is always available via email to help.

That's helpful info -- thanks!

But I note in your siggie that your 14-year old "regular" boys are in Lukeion's Latin III and Greek II, as well as French and...  :-) 

I'm not sure your idea of "regular" and mine are the same! 

(My son has taken Mr. Barr's classes -- I can't imagine him taking classes from Mr. Barr and Mrs. Barr at the same time; that's a *lot*

of work.)

• Like 1

My ds12 is finishing up his Physical Science class---we got the thumb drive version, with book. DS says it's a bit dull (presentation wise) but he understands it fine. I don't think it's overly challenging, but neither is it dumbed down. I think it's just right for a solid 8th grade course.

I'm not sure your idea of "regular" and mine are the same! 

(My son has taken Mr. Barr's classes -- I can't imagine him taking classes from Mr. Barr and Mrs. Barr at the same time; that's a *lot*

of work.)

LOL  They're definitely "regular," but they are very diligent in their work and very self-directed/self-disciplined. They figure out a routine that works for each class and stick to it.

• Like 1

LOL  They're definitely "regular," but they are very diligent in their work and very self-directed/self-disciplined. They figure out a routine that works for each class and stick to it.

That's awesome -- and in the end much more valuable. Kudos to them!

• Like 1

My ds12 is finishing up his Physical Science class---we got the thumb drive version, with book. DS says it's a bit dull (presentation wise) but he understands it fine. I don't think it's overly challenging, but neither is it dumbed down. I think it's just right for a solid 8th grade course.

Good to know. Thanks!

My DD recently finished his precalculus class.  She enjoyed the class and felt the lessons were well done.  Each lesson is short making it easy to go back to review specific topics. 

We're considering either precalculus or physics.

Ds took the physics class in 9th grade.  You may read my review here.

I classified ds as bright but unmotivated.  The class was a challenge for him, partially because he was not motivated to ask questions if he did not understand something.  He wound up with a B in the honors class.  With 20/20 hindsight, I wish we had not done honors.  If I had an "average" student, I would leave DO physics for 10th, 11th, or 12th grade.  I would avoid honors as well.

HTH!

We are lucky enough to take his classes live. I love that kids can go back and watch the video again and again. I also like that they are supposed to take notes while they watch the video. Mr. Owens is an incredibly nice and easy to work with; he will answer questions and help as much as possible. He truly wants his kids to succeed.

• Like 1

It is targeted at regular students and there is an honors track for those who want more challenge (honors for physics--the only course my DS has taken with DO--meant answering more problem sets for HW and exams).

It's nice that there is that option.

Ds took the physics class in 9th grade.  You may read my review here.

I classified ds as bright but unmotivated.  The class was a challenge for him, partially because he was not motivated to ask questions if he did not understand something.  He wound up with a B in the honors class.  With 20/20 hindsight, I wish we had not done honors.  If I had an "average" student, I would leave DO physics for 10th, 11th, or 12th grade.  I would avoid honors as well.

HTH!

Super helpful -- thanks!

This is actually a more accurate description of my son than "regular" -- just a little more unwieldy for an OP, and I guess in my mind "bright" and "unmotivated" kinda average out to ... regular. LOL!

The parenting lesson I have learned (the hard way) in the last year is that anything AP or honors or advanced needs to be my ds's choice and not mine, because when I choose, things go poorly. And TBH, he won't choose to do any more work than he has to. So I'm pretty sure he wouldn't do honors. But he will be 10th grade and his math is solid.

We are lucky enough to take his classes live. I love that kids can go back and watch the video again and again. I also like that they are supposed to take notes while they watch the video. Mr. Owens is an incredibly nice and easy to work with; he will answer questions and help as much as possible. He truly wants his kids to succeed.

What a great testimonial! Thanks!

The parenting lesson I have learned (the hard way) in the last year is that anything AP or honors or advanced needs to be my ds's choice and not mine, because when I choose, things go poorly.

Good for you!  That is a lesson I never learned.  :tongue_smilie:

And TBH, he won't choose to do any more work than he has to.

Yes, this described ds as well.  The good news is that this attitude changed after his first semester at college.  :thumbup1:

But he will be 10th grade and his math is solid.

Terrific!  I have heard physics described as math on steroids.  I would have to agree.  I'm finishing up my first ever physics class myself next week.  :thumbup: