Menu

Trying to write a cover letter

Kim in Appalachia

Ok.  I've been a SAHM for 21 years.  I graduated from college with a business degree, worked for 2 years in my field, then quit to stay home with my first child.  

My dh works at a community health center in a rural town.  The organization just put out that they want to hire a CFO.

I am very under qualified for the job, but.....

I would love it.  When I first saw it posted it I thought how I would go after it if it was just 3 years from now.  In 3 years I will only have 2 left at home, with one going into 11th grade (at which point he'll take his classes at the local college, so only 1 to worry about in school). Also in 3 years I will have 2 different college bills to pay.  :w00t:

But the more I thought about it, the more I thought that this could be a good opportunity.  The job is a new position.  2 other people have been doing it, but they are getting overwhelmed.  This area has a difficult time finding educated people to fill positions, especially getting them to stay.

The advantage I have is that I live here and I'm not leaving. I could learn the job from the ground up.  I already emailed the director and he said he would be willing to talk to me.  

My sister is going to help me create a resume, but I'm working on the cover letter. 

I've known the director for 13 years, so this isn't a cold letter, just being sent out.  The letter is to help make my case that I could learn the job and would be worth giving a chance.

So help me beef it up. :)

This is what I have so far.  This is my first, very incomplete draft.  I am planning to rework it a dozen times before Monday.

I am applying for the position of CFO at (center)  While I have the necessary education, I know I am lacking the experience or even the current skill set that is needed.  What I do have is a willingness to learn and a determination to do the job well.

I graduated college in 1992 with a degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in finance.  I worked for two years before quitting  to stay at home with my first child.  For the past twenty-one years, I have been busy raising as well as home educating five children.

I am a responsible, diligent and self-motivated person. I am willing to learn whatever I need to learn in order to accomplish a goal or task.

There would obviously be a steep learning curve for me with this job.  I would have to learn every aspect of the job from the ground up, but I am a quick learner and I would be committed to job.

So, Hive, I'm asking for some imput. Help me make my utter lack of experience sound good.:)  

Are cover letters still a thing?? Genuine question, I haven't worked in 14 years. Do you know anyone that works there that can put in a good word?

I don't know if cover letters are thing either. 

I don't like you sentence "lacking the current skill set". What is the current skill set. Does it involve certain software or something else that you can do a continuing ed class or training in to help you get up to speed. Can you note that you've taken or are getting ready to take this type of continuing ed class. 

Can you meet with the person you know informally and tell her you are interested and would like to know exactly what they be looking for to see if you are a good fit for applying--and just let the conversation evolve. Warning: I did this recently by email and made a time to meet a person. When I went to meet her, I walked into a fullblown formal interview. It worked out well for me. I've known people who did this and met with people for a casual coffee to get an idea of the job before applying and felt they got useful information. Just go in prepared for an interview just in case. 

ETA: I think already living there and being a known entity to the organization can be a huge advantage. 

Ok.  I've been a SAHM for 21 years.  I graduated from college with a business degree, worked for 2 years in my field, then quit to stay home with my first child.  

My dh works at a community health center in a rural town.  The organization just put out that they want to hire a CFO.

I am very under qualified for the job, but.....

I would love it.  When I first saw it posted it I thought how I would go after it if it was just 3 years from now.  In 3 years I will only have 2 left at home, with one going into 11th grade (at which point he'll take his classes at the local college, so only 1 to worry about in school). Also in 3 years I will have 2 different college bills to pay.  :w00t:

But the more I thought about it, the more I thought that this could be a good opportunity.  The job is a new position.  2 other people have been doing it, but they are getting overwhelmed.  This area has a difficult time finding educated people to fill positions, especially getting them to stay.

The advantage I have is that I live here and I'm not leaving. I could learn the job from the ground up.  I already emailed the director and he said he would be willing to talk to me.  

My sister is going to help me create a resume, but I'm working on the cover letter. 

I've known the director for 13 years, so this isn't a cold letter, just being sent out.  The letter is to help make my case that I could learn the job and would be worth giving a chance.

So help me beef it up. :)

This is what I have so far.  This is my first, very incomplete draft.  I am planning to rework it a dozen times before Monday.

I am applying for the position of CFO at (center)  While I have the necessary education, I know I am lacking the experience or even the current skill set that is needed.  What I do have is a willingness to learn and a determination to do the job well. (reword this part a bit)

I graduated (name of) college  in 1992 with a (BA? or ?) degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in finance.  I worked for (Company X from *date* to *date*, where I *list a few job accomplishments*two years before quitting  to stay at home with my first child.  For the past twenty-one years, I have been busy raising as well as committed myself to raising and home educating five children.

I am a responsible, diligent and self-motivated person. I am willing to learn whatever I need to learn in order to accomplish a goal or task.

There would obviously be a steep learning curve for me with this job.  I would have to learn every aspect of the job from the ground up, but I am a quick learner and I would be am committed to job giving my best as the (name the position) of company XYZ. (I think you could combine these last two paragraphs)

So, Hive, I'm asking for some imput. Help me make my utter lack of experience sound good. :)

First, I would cut everything that sounds (to me) apologetic.  In the cover letter, you are trying to sell yourself.  Say why you want the job (specify the job title when you do this), and highlight your accomplishments. Say something that indicates why you would be a good fit for the position/company.

• Like 2

Focus on what you are skilled at and how fast your learn, etc. Cut out everything that can be interpreted as "negative" or "lacking" in their eyes.

Play up any experience you have, college degree, internships, volunteer positions, anything.

Yes, no apologies. 

In general, people who take time off from work to raise children should not put that information in a cover letter or resume. They may ask that in an interview, but don't start with that.

I've done part-time and contract work for years and was worried about that after awhile because I held professional-level positions for 15 years, and then "dropped" to very part-time work. In discussing this with my boss at the time, she told me to never to apologize for that sort of thing because she had sat on hiring committees that took that as a lack of confidence and sign of weakness. She said to present yourself as a professional, and you'll be taken as a professional, even if you put your family before your career for a time.

• Like 2

It's so sad.  I don't even remember what I did at my first job.  I was a temp, then did something clerical, then got promoted twice, but I have no idea what it was.  It was just so long ago.  I do know that I was part of a team that managed retirement plans.  

I couldn't even tell you my GPA for college.  It's like it happened another lifetime ago.  I do know I got a BS not a BA (the joke at school was that our degree was in BS. :D

I have an honest chance at this job.  I don't know if it's a good chance, but I have one.  My dh seems to think I could do it, and believes I could pick up everything from Angie and Mark (the two people covering the roll now, as well as they're own stuff). 

It would be such a huge change, and my 2 youngest boys would not be thrilled.  But I've got myself really wanting the job, even though it feels like I would be out of my depth for a time. 

Focus on what you are skilled at and how fast your learn, etc. Cut out everything that can be interpreted as "negative" or "lacking" in their eyes.

Play up any experience you have, college degree, internships, volunteer positions, anything.

The only thing I've volunteered for is stroke judging at swimming. Do I include that? How and why? How is it relevent? 

It would be such a huge change, and my 2 youngest boys would not be thrilled.  But I've got myself really wanting the job, even though it feels like I would be out of my depth for a time. 

Even if you don't get it, use this as an opportunity to update your resume and network. It's good that you have inside contacts. And yes, sometimes you have to be persistent. You might not get this one, but maybe later or maybe something else.

As an example, I applied to a second community college three years ago, and got "qualified but no openings at this time." A former boss there got me doing some writing and teaching professional development classes there. Not great money, but excellent experience.

Without me knowing, her boss then made phone calls, and I got an email that they were ready to hire me. So I went through the whole hiring process including background checks and forms. Then they had to cancel the class because of low enrollment. I kept in touch, but it just wasn't a good year that way, and I kept up my other work for them.

In May I sent out my resume again to multiple deans within that college, reminding them that I was already doing work for that college and had already been rated for a particular subject and area. Each said that they already had every slot filled, but would keep me in mind. Then in June one came back with a slot because her professor for that class had full sections all year, and she had just gotten approval to add another. The existing professor was already on overload and couldn't do more.  So I signed the paperwork for that one last week.  

It took me three years, but I finally got on. Everything about it is a good fit, and if it keeps going, I may drop other work that doesn't pay as well.

• Like 1

The only thing I've volunteered for is stroke judging at swimming. Do I include that? How and why? How is it relevent? 

You're showing that you be relied upon to show up, that you can follow a standard, and that you are detail-oriented.

I'm brain-dead on how to phrase it, but you are showing good qualities there.

• Like 1

I was so excited to learn of the CFO position with XYZ. Talking with Angie and Mark, I understand that this position will require someone with financial acumen, a detailed mindset, and an overall bent toward process improvements. Given my background and career goals, this sounds like a perfect opportunity for me to contribute value to XYZ while using my strengths.

(Edit as necessary.)

Agreeing with the others that the goal here is not to showcase how you aren't qualified but, rather, how you are. I realize there may be some truth to the former, but if they're already willing to talk to you, they're not too concerned about the potential gaps. Truthfully, anyone would need to be trained in some way. There is significant value in hiring someone who already "gets" the area and the organization.

And, yes, cover letters are still a thing. Sometimes a simple email message takes the place of a formal cover letter (which may be the case in your situation since you've already discussed sending your resume), but some kind of introduction still needs to accompany the resume. 

Hyacinth

Certified Professional Resume Writer :)

• Like 2

I was so excited to learn of the CFO position with XYZ. Talking with Angie and Mark, I understand that this position will require someone with financial acumen, a detailed mindset, and an overall bent toward process improvements. Given my background and career goals, this sounds like a perfect opportunity for me to contribute value to XYZ while using my strengths.

(Edit as necessary.)

Agreeing with the others that the goal here is not to showcase how you aren't qualified but, rather, how you are. I realize there may be some truth to the former, but if they're already willing to talk to you, they're not too concerned about the potential gaps. Truthfully, anyone would need to be trained in some way. There is significant value in hiring someone who already "gets" the area and the organization.

And, yes, cover letters are still a thing. Sometimes a simple email message takes the place of a formal cover letter (which may be the case in your situation since you've already discussed sending your resume), but some kind of introduction still needs to accompany the resume. 

Hyacinth

Certified Professional Resume Writer :)

Love that! I just tweaked it a bit but put it as my opening.  I'm starting to see better how to make this flow. Thanks!

It's funny.  When I first read about the job a little over a week ago, I thought it would be kind of nice.  Now I really want it.  It may not work out, but I now know that I would like an opportunity to get back into the field.

Blah, I don't even own any clothes to interview in.  I don't think I can show up in my yoga pants..... :lol:

It's funny.  When I first read about the job a little over a week ago, I thought it would be kind of nice.  Now I really want it.  It may not work out, but I now know that I would like an opportunity to get back into the field.

Blah, I don't even own any clothes to interview in.  I don't think I can show up in my yoga pants..... :lol:

Time to go shopping! :D

• Like 1

I wouldn't go overboard though.  Interviews really vary though.

Out of my last three "gigs," two were based entirely on phone interviews and background checks. The one I just signed for didn't have an interview at all. We met about five years ago, and she knows a number of people I've worked with and for. So she just had her assistant send me the paperwork, and then I came and met with the assistant to make sure it was complete.

I did have an interview about six years ago that was more traditional, one with the boss and then one with three co-workers.  I was under qualified, and we all knew that I wasn't the one by the end. 

Out of my last three "gigs," two were based entirely on phone interviews and background checks. The one I just signed for didn't have an interview at all. We met about five years ago, and she knows a number of people I've worked with and for. So she just had her assistant send me the paperwork, and then I came and met with the assistant to make sure it was complete.

I did have an interview about six years ago that was more traditional, one with the boss and then one with three co-workers.  I was under qualified, and we all knew that I wasn't the one by the end. 

I would wear business clothes to the interview.  Not a suit or anything like that, but black slacks with a dressy blouse, or skirt & blouse, etc.  

I am so underqualified for this, that it does feel a bit crazy.  I don't even know Microsoft office.  My dd17 took a course last semester in it, does that count?  :laugh:   

If I interview, the entire point will be to see if I'm willing to do it and to convince them it's worth taking the time for me to learn it.  

I am thinking of spending this week trying to go over office, starting with excel.  

I am so underqualified for this, that it does feel a bit crazy.  I don't even know Microsoft office.  My dd17 took a course last semester in it, does that count?  :laugh:   

If I interview, the entire point will be to see if I'm willing to do it and to convince them it's worth taking the time for me to learn it.  

I am thinking of spending this week trying to go over office, starting with excel.  

Just remember that even if you don't get it, you can learn something from the process. You know that if this or something like it comes up again, you'll need Microsoft Office. So plan to be ready!

• Like 1

Just remember that even if you don't get it, you can learn something from the process. You know that if this or something like it comes up again, you'll need Microsoft Office. So plan to be ready!

It's so hard to make time for something you don't know if you'll need.  But I think I will.  I should learn it.  It's really excel that I have no knowledge of.  I have used Power point (only a little, but I have) and I can get around Word, though I would like to know some of the tricks better.  But excel is a giant mystery.