Menu

Need Hive Mind Input: Buying a Sewing Machine

Hi,

I have about a 10-yo, basic Kenmore that I haven't been too thrilled with overall. Making buttonholes is a nightmare. The upper tension assembly just went on it, and the sewing store was surprised that Sears still made the part. I am fixing it for now but I need to start scoping out a new machine.

I have simple sewing needs--basic stitching, buttonholes, and zippers--basically just simple clothing construction. I want something RELIABLE that doesn't skip stitches and break thread as much as this machine has (yes, I used it according to the book, got it cleaned regularly, etc.).

I have heard of Bernina, but some people say entry-level Berninas aren't necessarily high quality. I am leery of Kenmore, but some people say their high-end ones are OK.

I am willing to pay $200-$400 for a decent, reliable machine. I don't do fancy stuff. Sewing is frustrating enough for me without having to fight the machine as well.

What brand should I buy? What has worked for you?

(I have to go out for the afternoon and evening, but I will check the thread tonight.)

Please, I really need some suggestions. Thanks.

:ohmy: I love my Kenmore!

But, if I could have any machine in the world it would be a Husqvarna Viking. I've heard great things about them.

The machine I would stay away from is a Brother. I had one. I gave it away. I just checked out the website and they look more sophisticated than the one I had, but mine was clunky, loud and just didn't have much to offer.

I miss sewing. One day, I will have free time to sew again.

ETA: I quilt, so that is what I consider when I look at machines...

I love my 20plus year old Pfaff. I would recommend you find a sewing machine store..Not sears in the mall, but a store that sells and repairs sewing machines. Most of them will have a used section where you can get an old reliable machine that was traded in, hopefully in your price range.

Ask a ton of questions and sit down and sew on some fabric. If you don't like it, move on to the next machine. BE sure you thread it and wind the bobbin and all that stuff in the store.

Happy shopping!

I love my 20plus year old Pfaff. I would recommend you find a sewing machine store..Not sears in the mall, but a store that sells and repairs sewing machines. Most of them will have a used section where you can get an old reliable machine that was traded in, hopefully in your price range.

Ask a ton of questions and sit down and sew on some fabric. If you don't like it, move on to the next machine. BE sure you thread it and wind the bobbin and all that stuff in the store.

Happy shopping!

:iagree:

Bernina, Pfaff, Viking--all good machines. Definitely check out a dealer for used deals. My Bernina does button holes like a dream, but I have a high-end Bernina. I had a high-end Pfaff and it did button holes well; I had a middle of the road Viking and button holes were ok.

Avoid Brother, low-end Singer or any machine you can get at a mass merchandiser for under $100. Cheap crap, no matter what the brand is.

I have a Janome 8080 I got from Sears. It's great! It has a plethora of stiches and functions.

I've had it for 4 years and never had a problem.

ETA: The Janome was, as far as I could tell, the best of the mid-line machines at the time. I didn't have the funds to get a Viking, Pfaff or Bernina at the time, though if I could have, I would have! One can quilt on the Janome with a quilter's foot attachment, but I haven't tried it yet so I can't tell you how good it is for that. HTH.

Thank you, everyone. Anyone have an idea of how much a lower or midline Viking or Bernina would cost? Just a ballpark to get in the market? Neither company website gives prices, *sigh* which is not usually a good sign. I know I'll have to go to stores to try them out, but I'm trying to see if there's even any point in going ; ).

Thank you, everyone. Anyone have an idea of how much a lower or midline Viking or Bernina would cost? Just a ballpark to get in the market? Neither company website gives prices, *sigh* which is not usually a good sign. I know I'll have to go to stores to try them out, but I'm trying to see if there's even any point in going ; ).

When I bought my Bernina 200e, I emailed the dealer and he said he could not give a price via the internet but could over the phone. Something about it being a Bernina/Pfaff policy and not selling over the internet. He said that was in his contract to sell both brands. During a phone call, I got all the price quotes I wanted. LOL

EX bought Dd a used, middle of the line Bernina for around $300, I think. I don't know the model number or anything, but it is just a basic machine.

the Viking was very, very nice, but the Bernina is absolutely flawless. I think it's the best machine on the market---IMO, better than the Viking and the Pfaff, although they're very good machines.

But, Bernina's are expensive. I'm not sure how much a lower-price range machine would run, or how well it would work. They're Swiss-made; I bought mine at a dealer in St. Louis, and I get free tune-ups for life!

I have a Bernina, and it is amazing. Simply amazing. I would never be able to afford one, but my mom died and I have her machine.

What about buying a used one? The one I use is one that my mom bought in the early 1990's. She paid a pretty penny for it then, but surely a used one would be much, much cheaper now. It still works like it was brand new. And she was a quilting teacher, so she gave it quite a workout.

I have a basic Pfaff - tipmatic 6122 - that I purchased specifically for the ease of hemming denim jeans with it. It has a built in walking foot that I use for denim and quilts, or denim quilts. It doesn't have embroidery programming, etc, I didn't want or need that or to pay for it. If I could have ANY machine in the world, I would look into a Bernina. I agree, go to dealers and use the machines, test your most specific needs, buttonholes and such. have fun! - Jill

p.s. mine is at least 8 years old and has been extremely reliable

Timely post for for me. I need another new machine. My Kenmore died two years ago and I went for a Euro Pro:thumbdown:. At first I was impressed, but it was a piece of em...%$#@ as Michella mentioned. It is now resting at the dump.

I think I might check out a used one too. Thanks for the tips.

I have the basic model Bernina...it's 15 years old!...and, it's fabulous! I have a friend that has the model that came out before mine...she's probably had it 25 years...and, it still works great! I don't know what others are talking about with it not being a good machine. Maybe it's because it doesn't have all the "bells and whistles"...but, it still has a number of decorative stitches (which I've used maybe 5 times!) and makes a good button hole. I've altered a kilt on the thing...having to sew through leather straps and that thick wool material!!! My DD even knocked it off the table once...she didn't see the cord, walked right into it, and pulled it off the table. I had it checked out and nothing was wrong.

I don't think you can go wrong with an entry level Bernina or Pfaff. I learned how to sew on a Pfaff with all the "bells and whistles." To me, it was just more to go wrong and have to fix. My teacher told me if the memory went out on hers...it would be $100 to get a new one...and, that was probably 18 years ago.

Good luck with your decision.

Smiles!

~Holly