Menu

SAT Prep?

If your AL took the SAT early, did you have them prep? if so, what did you do? Did you cover any topics ahead of schedule (I'm especially wondering if doing something like Key to Geometry to at least have the terminology down would be good). DD10 now has a reason why it's important to her to do well, as opposed to taking the test and then seeing what she's eligible for, so the stress level is going to be higher.

We used the Sadlier-Oxford Vocab Workshop series and Grammar & Writing for Standardized Tests. Also practice tests from the CB Blue Book. I focused on the verbal portions because the goal was to get a SET-qualifying score and she's within striking distance on the verbal but not the math.

I did recently buy a friend's copy of Dr. Chung's math book but we haven't used it yet.

I have no idea whether this experience from decades ago is relevant to you, but my mother did make sure I had a basic grasp of the main topics that would be covered on the math portion of the SAT when I took it in 7th grade in the early 80's. This amounted to her explaining these concepts to me for a couple of hours, not any kind of major test prep. 

If I had a child who was motivated to do well on the test, I would definitely make sure they had an opportunity to be prepared for the material they would encounter. I'd probably buy an actual test prep book, because the math covered on the SAT is so specific. 

If she is feeling stressed, I would address that first. What exactly about the test might stress her? The geometry isn't extensive and in my humble opinion, a bright, math-loving kid who is already working on algebra might figure it out by practicing with the blue book's practice tests. Work on a few tests and see what she feels...consider if it makes her more or less stressed and address those areas again accordingly.

If she has been working on those etymology contests, perhaps vocab will come more easily to her than she thinks. Kiddo's area of concern was the writing section--essay, sentence structure, and basically, most grammar-related questions. That was the only section where I went over requirements and answers with him more carefully.

We split up kiddo's prep by first giving him 1-2 subtests at a time. Then we built it up to about 2-3 subtests at a time. Then about 3-5. Once he felt confident, he did one full test per week in conditions as close to the exam as possible. We upped it to 2 tests (IIRC) the last week. I think he might have done 5 or 6 full practice tests altogether and 7 if you count those various subtest combinations.

• Like 2

Quark, did your DS use a calculator? If so, how did you address it? DD has taken hers to the EXPLORE each year and has never actually used it, because she doesn't see a need (and because she never uses it at home. She occasionally will use one for statistics calculations, but is more likely to use R). I know graphing calculators are allowed, and we could get DD one if she needs it, but I have no clue how to teach graphing calculator use (I never really took math classes where calculators were all that helpful-like DD, I used one occasionally for stats, but that was about it, and I've never owned a graphing calculator).

Yes, I believe he used his plain vanilla scientific calculator. We did incorporate that when he was practicing so that he will remember to. Hee, hee, he is like your DD but he forgot to use the desktop calculator for Explore although it was right there in front of him (he tested at home with our own proctor).

No need for a graphing calculator at this stage (I think you only need one for the AP Calculus exams? No clue yet as DS isn't taking those). He has a graphing calculator but barely uses it. For his DE calculus, he used online graphing platforms like Geogebra and Graph Sketch when needed.

• Like 1

We did prep similar to much of what Quark said above.  CB tests were invaluable to acclimate them to format and procedure. 

We did no real prep for vocabulary, as it was not necessary for my kids. CR passages only required work in terms of strategy.

For math, we used some from Barron's for topical review but leaned more on PWN the SAT for math strategy.  My kids used a basic calculator for some questions.  Calculator usage is discouraged around here until necessary for Calc.

The writing also required no real preparation for them.

Overall, the only challenge was really math strategy because they had not learned some of the content. While more kids, statistically speaking, struggle with CR and W and are much more likely to receive 800s on math, mine had to spend some time to achieve high math scores and very little time for perfect scores on CR and W.  So I think it really depends on each kid. For my kids, they wanted to excel, so they were motivated. This was important to them and instigated by them, so I think that desire also helped them to excel.

• Like 1

My dc each did a practice test, and my older ds did a little bit of math review. It's important to go over how to "grid" the non-bubble math questions.

Is your dd taking it soon (old SAT) or will she be taking the new SAT? My understanding is that there's less geometry on the new SAT.

We did have DS take practice tests beforehand, but not so much to prepare for a shot at SET (which he made, btw!) as it was to keep his algebra skills sharp while he did number theory.

I would recommend taking at least two practices, but cramming to make SET will add stress and make ith harder.

I should clarify that we used the Sadlier-Oxford VW and Grammar 4 ST books as part of our regular homeschool curriculum rather than as "cramming". The VW series we started several years ago after finishing up Michael Clay Thompson's "Caesar's English" series and not finding the "Word Within the Word" series to my liking. But test prep was part of the reason for doing VW, because my DH had used them at his Catholic high school and swore by them for SAT prep.

• Like 2

Honestly, natural ability is going to shine through provided students have a chance to familiarize themselves with the test and provided test anxiety is not an issue.  Cramming rarely works in the short term and definitely not in the long term.  Yet what looks like cramming to some people may simply be the speed and rapidity with which another person can master content. That's why I don't talk to most people about what my kids do... false assumptions and stereotypical characterizations abound.

• Like 7

I'm not thinking cramming so much as "how can I raise her confidence and comfort level to take a test in a roomful of kids 6+ years older than she is, when she's actually putting stakes on the test instead of it being "just for fun"". Until she decided she wanted to apply to a specific school, I'd planned on having her do the SAT just to see how it goes (and expected that she'd have a good chance of being SET eligible because she has a history of hitting ceilings on tests and tends to do better on harder tests than on easy ones-but just as when she took the EXPLORE for the first time, I hadn't planned to even tell her about SET). Now, though, she's putting pressure on herself to do well, and that changes everything. In my area, it is highly unlikely that there will be a large number of talent search kids taking the test, because we're in TIPS country. In general, the only kids taking the SAT are those who did well on the PSAT or who are going for highly competitive colleges (or, usually, both). In DD's case, too much familiarity with the test will likely lead to lower scores. If something is too familiar, she tends to skim, go too fast, and make silly mistakes.

I was planning on having her take the old SAT before it changes mostly because I thought she'd have fun with the verbal section. We'll see how it goes from there.

• Like 1

I'm not thinking cramming so much as "how can I raise her confidence and comfort level to take a test in a roomful of kids 6+ years older than she is, when she's actually putting stakes on the test instead of it being "just for fun"". Until she decided she wanted to apply to a specific school, I'd planned on having her do the SAT just to see how it goes (and expected that she'd have a good chance of being SET eligible because she has a history of hitting ceilings on tests and tends to do better on harder tests than on easy ones-but just as when she took the EXPLORE for the first time, I hadn't planned to even tell her about SET). Now, though, she's putting pressure on herself to do well, and that changes everything. In my area, it is highly unlikely that there will be a large number of talent search kids taking the test, because we're in TIPS country. In general, the only kids taking the SAT are those who did well on the PSAT or who are going for highly competitive colleges (or, usually, both). In DD's case, too much familiarity with the test will likely lead to lower scores. If something is too familiar, she tends to skim, go too fast, and make silly mistakes.

I was planning on having her take the old SAT before it changes mostly because I thought she'd have fun with the verbal section. We'll see how it goes from there.

My son tested with HS seniors, so I know what you mean about the older kid thing.  No talent search kids were around then either.  My kids struggle too with things that are too familiar.  The biggest challenge for DS was slowing down, annotating easy questions.  Actually DD was like that too, though to a lesser extent.  But like your daughter, the harder the test, the better my kids tend to do.  The only thing I found that worked with the test was having them practicing underlining/annotating the questions.  That was the only thing that kept their brains "engaged" with the easy work. I also had them notate passages on CR to keep them engaged in reading articles that were of no interest to them. Other than that, just knowing what to expect helped a lot.

Good luck! :)

• Like 2

Many test sites segregate the talent search / underage group so they can effectively manage releases to parents. You might check with the facility. In those cases, being surrounded by older kids won't be a problem.

ETA: We're also in TIP country... There were 30 talent search participants.

When my son took the SAT for TIP, there were probably 200 other seventh graders testing, and it was held at a separate campus.

I didn't work with him much at all. I borrowed a few test prep books for him to look through so that he'd have a rough idea of how the test is set up. He wants to take it again next year to try to improve his math score so he'll be eligible for the upper-tier TIP stuff (he scored high enough for the middle level - his CR was by far his strongest score). He'll be taking geometry by that point so he should have a better chance going into it. 

I used to teach SAT prep an aeon ago for one of the big test-prep providers and that pretty much soured me on the entire industry - seeing how a student's score could improve a few hundred points just from learning "tricks" for the test, not from learning any actual content. But I did want my son to be comfortable with the general format of the test and the different types of questions. He would have gotten way stressed out if I had made a bigger deal out of it. OTOH, when my daughter takes EXPLORE this year, and then when she does the SAT for TIP, I'll probably review with her a good bit so that she DOES take it seriously. I guess it's just a matter of what is going to work best for your child in terms of balancing stress levels with preparedness. 

If you've not already done so I'd say start with a single practice test at home. For the practice test use "real" paper and pencil printed materials from the SAT. For that sample test for a most younger students I'd say do a couple of sections back to back in a day. Read over the instructions because once they've read them on a test at home they won't have to think about them in a test day. Use a timer. When those sections are done, immediately move on to something else, preferably something fun outside involving activity - swings, taking dogs for a walk, etc. Don't spend time noodling over questions, reflecting, or looking at scores at that point. That can help keep anxiety down because it isn't giving their body time to be stuck in any worry spot.

Once you've got all the sample sections done look at the score and see where she is relative to the needed number for the particular program she's working on. After the single sample test we realized a couple of grammar things we needed to review. We reviewed them without dwelling on their connection to the test and left it there because we didn't want to create any worry over it. We also live in an area with few talent search testers so we got plenty of experience here being the youngest tester in the room. It was never a problem or anything negative. Somebody will probably say "You must be really smart".... and that's not the only time they'll hear that in life for sure!

When ds took it at age 12, I had him read the material in the blue SAT book and do a practice test (over several days -- one section per day). It was very helpful for familiarizing him with the types of questions, the format of the exam, and the pacing requirements. I also was able to give him a few tips on how to work more efficiently -- like don't spend 20 seconds bubbling in one answer!

We didn't study any content because after all it is an above age test. I told him I didn't expect him to know everything or to finish everything. The prep we did do was with the goal of familiarization to prevent the stress that comes from the unknown.

Taking it with older kids turned out fine for him. He says he was a little nervous going in but just ignored them. Everyone was focused on their own work.

Good luck to your dd!