Menu

Spinoff: using CLE for both math and LA

KeriJ

We already use it for math, and I have considered switching from R&S to CLE for LA.  Like someone mentioned on the math thread, I worry about workbook overkill, which is funny since I actually use workbooks for spelling and handwriting already.  (R&S and Pentime) But there's something about using the same type of workbooks for both math and LA that I worry my kids will balk at.  

How does that look for those of you that use CLE for more than one subject?

We are using CLE for LA and Math. Just started using both a few weeks ago but so far so good. The lessons are short enough that it doesn't feel like workbook overkill. Since there is quite a bit of review, I can cross out a couple questions here and there if I feel my kid doesn't need to review them. He's come such a long way since we started using CLE, very impressed. I'm actually considering adding a third or even fourth CLE workbook (Bible and Socials and perhaps some science to fill in any gaps he has) ... they are just so good.

• Like 1

We used CLE Math all of last year, but added the LA and Reading in Jan.  I wasn't sure about doing LUs for so many subjects, but in the end I decided that getting it DONE was better than trying to make everything FUN. ;)

I was surprised when, like the above poster, my (oldest) child has really made a lot of progress after switching to CLE!  We were picking and choosing and putting a bunch of things together before -- we really like the open-and-go simplicity of CLE.

Honestly, there are days that it feels a bit loooooong  :p ...but I don't have a problem crossing out some review or skipping segments that we don't need.

• Like 3

We use CLE for pretty much every thing except for social studies and science. We may use 8th SS next year though. I really love how thorough it is....I don't need 6 different resources to get the job done. No, it isn't super duper hands on fun...but I can't pull that off very consistently at all anyway :).

• Like 1

My older kids actually like the CLE subjects they've used more than anything else they've ever done. So, your mileage may vary. They like knowing what to expect, the consistent length of lessons, and getting it done so they can move on with their day to bake, craft, play legos, build stuff in the garage etc. Using multiple CLE subjects hasn't been an issue.

• Like 3

We already use it for math, and I have considered switching from R&S to CLE for LA.  Like someone mentioned on the math thread, I worry about workbook overkill, which is funny since I actually use workbooks for spelling and handwriting already.  (R&S and Pentime) But there's something about using the same type of workbooks for both math and LA that I worry my kids will balk at.  

How does that look for those of you that use CLE for more than one subject?

You're already using workbooks for handwriting and spelling, so you'd actually be REDUCING the amount of workbooks as the LA has English/spelling/handwriting combined. 

If you're concerned using multiple CLE subjects would frustrate your kids, why not try a LA lu for each and give it a go. Not much wasted for trying.

• Like 1

We used both CLE math & LA last year for 2nd and 4th grade. It went fine -- in fact, we're adding reading next year. My boys are 8 and 10, very active children, and are not particularly workbooky, but they've done fine with it so far. I think the consistent format actually makes it easier for them - they know what to expect. I printed off some Evan-Moor stuff for summer review recently and they wanted to do their CLE LUs instead! 

• Like 1

My 6 year old uses Math and LA with no problem. He enjoys them, and he likes that he can get them done independently. He did the Math last year, and started the LA in February this year. My 8 year old is only using the Math right now, and he kind of complains that he has separate phonics, reading, and spelling workbooks (all R&S) and thus has more subjects. :p I want him to get through R&S Phonics 2 before moving over to CLE LA though.

• Like 1

My older kid is very active too and he enjoys the workbooks. He likes the consistency and knowing what to expect, exactly how long it takes him to finish, etc. and he also likes that he can just take off with the workbook and do his school work anywhere he wants... the couch, the stairs, his bed, etc... cause it's all independent so he can just do it anywhere. I think the CLE workbooks are actually his favourite out of all the curriculum we use. The math for sure - he prefers CLE math to Singapore big time, and he is retaining way more. He loves the speed drills (and the chart to keep track of scores) and he loves the frequent quizzes and tests cause he's always trying to get a higher mark.