Menu

One week of VT and already changes?

I know this is really strange but dd9 who has been doing VT for nine days is doing better. And guess who brought it up? DH!

He asked if I noticed how much better dd9 has been. She's been showering more and wearing new clothes. She has SPD and bathing and dressing have always been...less than ideal. She also seems calm and happier. She's cleaning the new private space we made for her in the house and even vacuuming.

I don't know if VT could do this but the timing is curious.

She's also doing her VT homework everyday without any issues. :)

Ironically, she got the bloodwork done today that the pediatrician ordered to rule out any medical reason for the problems she'd been having. I was not looking forward to how that would go, but she came back and said it didn't hurt at all. Dh said she did great.

• Like 4

Bottle it and ship it our way, hehe...   :hurray:  

So are they doing something with EF in it?  What are they doing?  Maybe they just really nailed something that has been bothering her that she couldn't put into words?  Are they doing some exercises to integrate reflexes?  

In any case, enjoy it!!   :)

Bottle it and ship it our way, hehe...   :hurray:  

So are they doing something with EF in it?  What are they doing?  Maybe they just really nailed something that has been bothering her that she couldn't put into words?  Are they doing some exercises to integrate reflexes?  

In any case, enjoy it!!   :)

I'm not sure what they do in the VT room. Dh has gone in and not me because she cooperates more easily for him. 

At home she's doing an exercise reading the tiniest print book we can find. She puts on a pirate patch and holds a lens over one eye while she reads a sentence of the book held sixteen inches away. Then she removes the lens and continues to read the next sentence. Puts it on again and reads the sentence after that. Off again, rinse and repeat. She does both eyes for a total of fifteen minutes. At this week's appointment they gave her a new lens to make it even harder for her to focus. I think this exercise is supposed to treat her accommodative insufficiency or problem focusing. She was dx'd as having spasms of her focusing muscle.

So simple, but it seems like it's doing something.

• Like 2

So great to hear, Tiramisu!

It's barely 4 mths since ds graduated from VT. His focus and stamina has improved so much. No more headaches or dizziness in the car! He's a lot more cooperative and easy going. Yesterday, we were bowled over by his swimming. He's learnt since he was 1, but could never coordinate his arms into a rhythmic freestyle swim. It was always this jerky movement despite weekly coaching. There was a time he stopped going because he felt left behind as his friends and younger kids were getting promoted to more advanced classes every few months :(. But suddenly, it's smooth, efficient, and controlled. :o

Maybe it isn't VT per se, but it coincided with a some sort of maturation.

I read from a VT site that when the frontal lobe is bogged down with trying to manage information input, it can't do its job of overseeing and planning (executive function). This is akin to a restaurant manager who has to do the job of cooking and serving when the employees don't show up. When they do, the manager can go back to actually running and overseeing the business.

In the broadest sense, this reasoning may apply not just to vision issues alone. If we can help our kids find their "employees", there could be a significant boost to overall functioning because a primary resource is being freed up.

• Like 1

It's barely 4 mths since ds graduated from VT. His focus and stamina has improved so much. No more headaches or dizziness in the car! He's a lot more cooperative and easy going. Yesterday, we were bowled over by his swimming. He's learnt since he was 1, but could never coordinate his arms into a rhythmic freestyle swim. It was always this jerky movement despite weekly coaching. There was a time he stopped going because he felt left behind as his friends and younger kids were getting promoted to more advanced classes every few months :(. But suddenly, it's smooth, efficient, and controlled. :o

I read from a VT site that when the frontal lobe is bogged down with trying to manage information input, it can't do its job of overseeing and planning (executive function). This is akin to a restaurant manager who has to do the job of cooking and serving when the employees don't show up. When they do, the manager can go back to actually running and overseeing the business.

In the broadest sense, this reasoning may apply not just to vision issues alone. If we can help our kids find their "employees", there could be a significant boost to overall functioning because a primary resource is being freed up.

You know if she was having headaches (from the focusing strain) and the therapy is improving that, then yes her behavior would improve.  We know ourselves with headaches and without and how much more pleasant we are without.   :)

Dd was getting headaches quite a bit. But even more than that she complained of dizziness. I've been thinking if that could have been the misbehaving eye muscles.

• Like 2

That is fantastic. It sounds like she is feeling better.

DS1 had visual issues that caused him to not know where he was in space, so he was always checking. That translated to hyperactivity, constant sensory seeking touching and bumping things, running around and around rooms and up and down the aisles in stores, libraries, etc. Addressing his amblyopia and visual motor problems changed all that.

• Like 2

I love this post. And I really need to find my employees!!!

The eye muscles have a direct connection to the balance mechanism in our ears.

Which it uses as the primary guidance system for the eyes.

This is fascinating and it makes me want to get my own VT eval. My balance really isn't the best. I'm always knocking into things and knocking things into other things. I'm also very prone to carsickness.

Now that I'm older I sometimes have to be careful about turning my head quickly or looking under cabinets. I takes me longer to regain my equilibrium.  I can still do cartwheels (fast) and be okay, but somersaults (slow) make me sick. I was thinking that it's because with cartwheels I don't have time for my eyes or ears to adjust to the mid-position so I'm fine at the end. Whereas with somersaults, I have more time to process at each point so I'm more messed up at the end. I think I'm overthinking this. LOL.