Menu

Happy Ramadan ** Ramadan Kareem ** Ramadan Mubarak **

umsami

Just wanted to give a shout out to all the Muslim mamas on the board and wish them a Ramadan Kareem.

Ramadan begins for many tonight at sunset.  (The Muslim day begins at sunset.)  Tomorrow will be the first day of fasting from food and beverages, from sunrise to sunset, for the entire lunar month.

Many mosques (masjid is the Arabic word for one mosque, masajid is plural) host community meals at sunset to break the fast.  If you or your kids would like to experience Ramadan, you could call your local Islamic center or check their webpage to see when the next community iftar is. Some communities have one each night.  To get the whole Ramadan experience, try fasting a little.  The whole day may be too difficult, but perhaps you could try and fast from food and drink from after lunch until sunset.  People break their fast usually with a few dates or sometimes some lentil soup.

We fast from food and drink to remind us that many in the world involuntarily fast (go hungry and thirsty).  While fasting from water and other drinks seems harsh, it really makes you appreciate how wonderful a glass of clean, cold water is.  

If you have Muslim friends and want to wish them a Happy Ramadan, you can say "Happy Ramadan", "Ramadan Kareem" (Think Kareem Abdul-Jabbar), or "Ramadan Mubarak" (Think moo-bar-ik like the ex-President of Egypt.)  

:)

:party:

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Ramadan Kareem!

I actually met Mrs Spy Car very shortly into my very first Ramadan fast (which I did as an act of support for some recently arrived old friends who'd just relocated from Cairo). We'd gather for iftar every night.

Meeting the woman of my dreams made the fasting more than tolerable :D

Bill

• Like 9

For those of you who want to try some Ramadan treats with your kids, Pinterest is your friend. :)

Traditionally, people break their fast with dates.  There are tons of different varieties, but some of the best are easily available at your local grocery store or warehouse club....Medjool dates from California.  Most have pits, so be aware...but they are big.  A lot of people eat them with a glass of milk.  Some people will make a date shake, by blending the dates with the milk, or just breaking them up in pieces and letting them soak.

Some people will take out the pit and replace it with an almond.  Some people like to make date balls and roll them in coconut or pistachios.  Lots of options. :)

A very traditional soup to eat during Ramadan is shorbat ads (red lentil soup).  Trader Joe's sells the red/orange lentils as do most Indian/Pakistani grocery stores. I just saw some at Publix too.  Bulk food type stores are also good.  

Lamb would be a traditional food...but anything goes.  In my experience, people in the Middle East tend to cook their lamb well done compared to Americans.  This is a great recipe for lamb kofta (like hamburgers). IF you can't find ground lamb, or it is too expensive, you can use all beef.  http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/kofta-b-siniyah-shop

Rice-A-Roni is a convenience version of rice pilaf which is very common in many Middle Eastern countries.  During Ramadan, people will jazz it up by adding nuts (almonds, pistachios, etc.) to the rice.

Mango and apricot juice is very common.  People will make fancy looking drinks by layering the juices in different layers (different densities).  If you pour it over a spoon it helps.  

Dessert wise.... kunafa (which is shredded phyllo dough), baklava, cookies, etc. :)  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...