Menu

Rocketry

My daughter just returned home from camp. She had taken a rocketry class (short - one week but with a great teacher) and now wants to learn more. I think that's great and it's exactly why she goes to camps. However, I know nothing about rocketry. The only rocketry groups I can find are all associated with public schools. We live in a small town and there are no public groups about rocketry (and probably nobody here who is interested). How can I find out more and help her learn? She wants to build rockets (and they sell kits on amazon) and we have an open area to launch. Any suggestions on how to develop a small curriculum for her to do this in our upcoming school year?

Can I order those as a homeschooler? We aren't allowed to join our local 4H group because we home school. There is a group for home school kids but it is an hour away and is mostly home ec type things (which isn't a bad thing, but rocketry will not be on their list of things to do or be interested in doing). 

Can I order those as a homeschooler? We aren't allowed to join our local 4H group because we home school. There is a group for home school kids but it is an hour away and is mostly home ec type things (which isn't a bad thing, but rocketry will not be on their list of things to do or be interested in doing). 

That's odd unless it's only open to students who attend a specific school and do it as an afterschool club.  4-H doesn't allow discrimination.  I ran a homeschool group and we weren't allowed to use "homeschooler" in the name because it had to be open to anyone from the county.

This sounds wrong to me to. check with your county extension office.

here anyone is allowed to check out the 4-H books as long as there isn't high demand.

The county extension office is who I had contacted. They said that most of the activities took place at the school and meetings were scheduled after school. They said that that it wouldn't be appropriate and I should join the other group that was comprised of home school girls. There was a rifle group in 4H that they said was open, but my kids weren't interested. 

I used to do a rocket club when I taught school and we built rockets from scratch using wrapping paper tubes and Estes engines. Building rockets is great fun. Even more so from scratch. There are some you-tube videos on building them from scratch that are pretty easy to follow.

• Like 1