Menu

Medicaid spend down

anneinco

I know I had asked a few questions 7-8 months back but have a few more.

We are finally in the process of applying for my MIL who lives with us.  She qualifies for a set number of hours of care at home each month, but needs to be on Medicaid so they are paid for.

Currently she has $3500 over what they allow.

What are our options for spend down so that they don't raise a fit and ask for payment back?   I can't talk to anyone til I apply, which I am in the process of doing.

I know it will be some combo of the below, just not sure if all are 'ok' and not frowned upon... 1 and 2 should be no problem and will take up $1500-2000

1.  I know we can prepay cremation costs $600-800

2.  Part of it will go to back rent/utilities that we paid prior for her to having her money moved to a local account/income routed to local bank. 

-------

3.  Since she qualifies for care at home, can she repay us for the time this year already?  (Washington state does allow family to provide care).

4.  Can she use that money for one last awesome road trip this summer?  She is at the end of being able to travel, and spent about 5 years unable to do so before she came to live with us.  She loves to get out and see new things.

5.  Nothing.  We need to use to supplement services and once it is gone then medicaid kicks in.

Ok thanks for ideas. Might consult and see what elder law attorney has to say too. She pays rent/board each month. We took a guess at a fair value and we were about $180 under what she will be allowed to keep toward that each month. Curious if we can reclaim the difference now for past 10 months? I would rather be able to place money legally in a way we can help her/treat her than have it go to care that she would receive if she didn't have it.

There will most likely be no service. Cost for burial will be a couple hundred. That might be prepayable. That is just to open up a space in family lot. I checked before we moved her.

When in a similar situation with my mother in law and trying to spend down the rest of her minimal assets to qualify for Medicaid we did take her on a vacation. It meant a lot to her to take a trip with her grandchildren, and in her condition, it was her one and only chance. She is not well enough to travel now and most likely never will be again, so I'm glad we did it. As for Medicaid, once we had spent down her final few thousand dollars on a modest vacation, paying her storage unit fees for 6 months in advance, buying a new recliner to replace her old one, etc. we simply applied for benefits and that was it. We had receipts handy in case anyone ever asked where that  few thousand dollars went, but they never even asked to see them. In the grand scheme of things, spending $3k over a couple of months really isn't even on their radar, I don't think. $30k over a few months would be a different story... 

When in a similar situation with my mother in law and trying to spend down the rest of her minimal assets to qualify for Medicaid we did take her on a vacation. It meant a lot to her to take a trip with her grandchildren, and in her condition, it was her one and only chance. She is not well enough to travel now and most likely never will be again, so I'm glad we did it. As for Medicaid, once we had spent down her final few thousand dollars on a modest vacation, paying her storage unit fees for 6 months in advance, buying a new recliner to replace her old one, etc. we simply applied for benefits and that was it. We had receipts handy in case anyone ever asked where that few thousand dollars went, but they never even asked to see them. In the grand scheme of things, spending $3k over a couple of months really isn't even on their radar, I don't think. $30k over a few months would be a different story...

Thank you, you were helpful months ago and this helps too. We have spent down some the past year but I didn't want to do it too fast in case she did not go one medicaid. Now we know it is more beneficial than not. I just want to make sure we don't have to come up with it the money, if it not done correctly.

Can you perform any necessary repairs or helpful upgrades (a handicapped ramp or installation of bathroom/hallway grab bars, for example) on her home to spend down that money?

She is with us, and we have pretty much done it all already. We thought about a lift chair but are concerned she won't be able to use the control. She is using one of our tvs, so maybe have her buy one of her own so my husband can take it back into the shop. I need to get a copy of her bank records because she may not have paid us back for her furniture we bought when we moved her out.