Menu

I love Thinkwell Math

I'm brushing up (getting up to speed again) on my Pre-Calc and Calc--I'm also learning how to use a graphing calculator--they did not have such creatures in the dark ages...

Yesterday the Pre-Calc 'notes' came. I'm VERY pleased. Just the notes alone are an awesome resource for Algebra 2-College Algebra and Trig. I was expecting a small packed--I received a HUGE paperback book...well worth the $25!

My middle dd will be in Pre-Calc next year--and I want to know as much--if not MORE than her teacher---I have not taught Pre-Calc in over 10 years...

I hope to order their Calc program after Christmas.

I read all the Algebra II and beyond Algebra II math posts. I like reading about math books and math education more than hunkering down and actually plowing beyond chapter 2 in ... (fill in name of any math book you choose).

Just wanted you both (and all others who post about math) to know you have an appreciative audience. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the heads up Mary, cuz calculus will be here soon enough! BTW, Thinkwell is used as a learning resource by the the college I'm using (it's an online college). I'm planning to be a math teacher and have already learned things I wish I could have taught my daughter (and I have called my son over many times with, "remember when we talked about XYZ, here is another way to remember it!").

We are big Chalkdust fans here, but I am wondering how Thinkwell compares in cost? I have no plans to leave Chalkdust, I'm just curious (nosy??)

Oh, I agree, Dana Mosley is great too. BUrger is hilarious at times though!

Thinkwell used to be only $49 but is now about $229, I think. You can pick up just the disks w/o the problems etc. used though quite cheaply. I got a set for $14. I think Chalkdust calculus runs $400. Other programs might have different pricing structures.

HTH!

Mary

If you do Thinkwell as an independent, it's $89 and the workbooks are like $19 or $29, I think. I would not get the homeschool set and pay extra just because they decided to market to hs'ers.

BTW, my school is using 3 other resources (book, website to go with book, another math website) along with Thinkwell, so not using it by itself. There are like 12 practice problems per section which is plenty enough for me or my kids but wouldn't be enough for many. Also, my ds needs review ocassionally so I would get something else for the cumulative reviews if nothing else.

However, if we go back to traditionally homeschooling (and possibly even if we don't!), I will get my ds the Thinkwell. He's doing Dolciani Algebra I this year and I keep meaning to try the NROC resource with him. I need to start that this week :) However, I usually do two of each math program with my kids so we'll need something for Algebra I again next year anyway :)

This is my ds's favorite course taken in high school.

I'm glad to hear your kudos for the pre-calc. Maybe we'll look at that. Is there a reason why you are using Thinkwell for this vs. Lial's? (OK, I read the rest of the posts...so you are using this as a supplement?)

I'm using Thinkwell for me! It has been about 10 years since I taught Pre-Calc and graphing calculators were not around then. I'm skimming Pre-Calc again and teaching myself how to use the graphing calculator. I will go on to review Calculus next--I had it 25+ years ago with a BAD BAD teaching assistant (she did NOT speak English...and I did NOT speak German growllllll). I let my teacher certification slip and I need to take a test to get it back at the highschool level...and the test has Calc on it...

I can do College Algebra on down nearly blindfolded...and I remember a good part of my Trig...but I don't go much beyond that...

I've specialized in teaching 14yr old boys Algebra 1 (the majority of my students of the past 20 years!)...most of my current students are 15-16yr old girls--go figure. Most of my current students (and my own dd) are using the Lial series (with GREAT success). I have a copy of Lial's Precalc and I've used it some for practice. I'm just a visual learner and I also enjoy WATCHING other good Math teachers (see-I get extra methods training too). I've also played around with ALEKS.