Menu

Writing curriculum for 6th grade reluctant writer?

We are transitioning from FLVS full time to traditional homeschool this year. My son hates to write. When given a prompt he says he can not think of anything to write. This past year with FLVS I did a lot of hand holding and he actually produced some fabulous essays with some coaching. He had little to no instruction when in PS with writing so this was a huge accomplishment for him and a great confidence building year.

I need to find a writing/grammar curriculm for him that continue to build his confidence and help him get his ideas on paper. I am open to online classes but do not want to over burden him with them since he is burnt out from 4 hours in front of the computer every day last year.

Oh, and now I see your post count and realize you're new here. Welcome. This is Brave Writer:

http://www.bravewriter.com/

It's a sort of loose program. The Writer's Jungle is the book that explains the whole philosophy. There are these project supplements now though that have a much shorter explanation of the program and also lay out projects for the whole year. My rising 6th graders are doing Faltering Ownership next year. However, if your ds is really struggling, Partnership Writing could be right for him. Poke around on there by reading her blog and get a feel for whether or not it might be for you guys. It's really about building up writers and getting kids to love writing, trust their voice, and have confidence in lots of different writing forms. However, it's not as laid out an approach - it's not really a step by step thing like some people want.

• Like 1

Thank you for the Welcome. I have looked at Brave Writer. I am considering a few of the online classes for my upcoming 9th grade. She is the opposite. She can throw together an A paper in half an hour. I will look into the program more for DS.

I'd look at Essentials in Writing. The 6th grade book will have both writing and grammar. There are short, incremental lessons taught on video (3-5 minutes typically), and then the student works on that concept. It really helped my reluctant writer (actually both of my kids). Here's a review I did awhile back. We've since used levels 7-10.

• Like 2

Thank you for the Welcome. I have looked at Brave Writer. I am considering a few of the online classes for my upcoming 9th grade. She is the opposite. She can throw together an A paper in half an hour. I will look into the program more for DS.

Yes, I think Brave Writer can potentially work for a lot of different profiles of kids - but I think it's especially good for kids who like to write and write because it honors that and helps harness it in a more gentle, less top down way than a lot of programs - something all those natural writers like because they often don't like to be told what to do with their writing. But it's also good for the kids who can barely get words on the page for some of the same reasons - because of the gentle, anyone can write, your words are worthy sort of attitude.

• Like 2

Brave Writer has been great for my reluctant writers.

:iagree:   It was the tool that showed my son that he does have something to say, and can write.  We got the books, but the online classes and him receiving positive feedback from someone else was what really helped him to want to write.

:bigear:

Welcome! I'm in FL too. We are actually just starting to explore a couple of FLVS classes (for upcoming 9th grader) and I have a 6th grade reluctant writer boy, too.  :seeya:  I started a thread about him last night...

I'm another one who really likes the BraveWriter philosophy. It's kinda hard for me to wrap my head around and trust myself with it though. My older dd took KidsWrite Basic from them several years ago. It's online, but very little time is actually spent online--not at all like FLVS. It was good teacher training for me--I'm considering going through it again this fall with my son.