Menu

Higher level decoding

With my children, I found the cheapest was to give them a good book to read and pull out any words on a page that were more difficult to decode and then teach them separately before reading the page. I have seen both young and older struggling readers learn a lot just by using a really good exciting book - if the content is great then the effort taking to read it becomes worth the effort. If I found there was a particular sound that my child was struggling to decode then I would make sure I found that sound more frequently, perhaps taught it in spelling if the child was older or give them a list of words or find a phonics book that addressed that particular sound. 

My children were very young when reading multi syllable words - initially I taught them to take the ing and ed off words and read the root word and then showed them the same with prefixes, but when it came to other multi syllable words, I would show them where the syllables were without expecting them to know by themselves for a long time before they learnt how it was done.  I am not sure, but I might use the same method with an older child unless they asked for syllabification rules.

I have used reading pathways with her and it has helped her able to break apart a multi syllable word to read it but she does not know any of the more advanced syllable rules. Something like that but with more of the advanced rules. She would probably do well with more lessons. She picks up decoding and spelling pretty well. Your resources look good Elizabeth but I just am not sure I will be good at implementing it. I also do not have a printer at the moment.

I have used reading pathways with her and it has helped her able to break apart a multi syllable word to read it but she does not know any of the more advanced syllable rules. Something like that but with more of the advanced rules. She would probably do well with more lessons. She picks up decoding and spelling pretty well. Your resources look good Elizabeth but I just am not sure I will be good at implementing it. I also do not have a printer at the moment.

There are only a few pages of my syllable division rules, you could do them on the computer. You could also try Webster online, or it is a bit under $19 from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Websters-Spelling-Method-Teaching-Reading/dp/1496153278/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432865239&sr=8-1&keywords=webster+spelling+donald+potter