Menu

Standardized testing -- what and where?

Mom2legomaniacs

I use the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS) for both dd9 and dd12. Last year I only tested dd9 (then 2nd grade) because the local school tested dd12 for free and did a more in-depth testing program than I though ITBS could offer.

I was satisfied w/ ITBS and so, am using it for both dds this year.

I administer the tests myself, getting them through Piedmont Education Services, http://www.pesdirect.com This year I'll be teaming-up w/ another HSing mom who's kids are the same ages/grades. We'll be able to test all 4 kids simultaneously w/ one mom doing 3rd gr. and one doing 7th.

As far as why I test... I like to have another view of how my dds are progressing. Also, it gives me something tangible/recognizable to carry with me as we are military and move frequently, therefore we encounter a variety of state/local regulations re: HSing. Last year as I was looking over the test I realized that there were some areas I'd skipped (like geography & basic social studies) I knew this ahead of time and let dd know that there would be things on the test we hadn't covered, but that she also probably knew some things that wouldn't be on the test because PS kids hadn't learned it yet. I figure it will all even out in the end, but still, I made a note of the Geo/SS gap so I could cover it down the road. (We take a WTM approach to History)

DD was so excited about her test! Don't ask me why, perhaps because we made a game out it? I've always referred to tests as "Show What You Knows". And tell my kids that it isn't a judgement, only a tool to see what's been missed.

I you have a college degree, you can test your own kids with the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS). I get it from Bob Jones University Press. You'll need to fax them a copy of your college diploma, and you'll need to sign an agreement to promise to meet their standards, but this process doesn't take long. The test costs about $60, I think. You order the test from them. It takes about 2-4 weeks to receive it. You then have 5 weeks to administer it. You need to follow their rules (You have to read all those annoying instructions word-for-word, for instance). You can spread out the tests as much as you want, or do them all together. When your child is finished with the tests, you send the answer sheet, and all the test materials, back to Bob Jones. They score it electronically (or you can pay extra for hand grading), and they send you a report back within 4 weeks. We've used it for several years now.

If you don't have a college degree, you won't be able to administer the ITBS yourself. You might be able to administer the Stanford test (also from Bob Jones University Press), but you must also include a child NOT your own at the same time.

You can read about all the requirements at http://www.bjup.com. Click on Homeschools, then Testing and Evaluation (in the blue box).

First of all, it is important to know that I don't have to test this year. We've used portfolio reviews for the past two years and I'm perfectly content with that model for assessing my son's learning skills. That being said, though, I do want to "train" my son to be able to take a standardized test -- it is just a part of life.

So, I thought I'd go ahead and get a Spectrum test prep book and walk him through a little of that and then give him the CAT-E from Seton Hall. It only tests LA and Math skills. I initially though doing the entire CAT-5 would be really unfair of me, since our scope and sequence for social studies and science (more WTM than non) varies significantly from what would occur in public school -- or private for that matter.

:confused:Does this (CAT-E) sound like a good idea? Or, should I subject ds to a CAT5? :confused:What will I learn from the CAT5 in my situation? :confused:And what about the PASS? I can't for the life of me locate my bookmark for this homeschool friendly assessment.

this year. Last year I ordered from Seton Homeschool. The test is $25.00, and their service is Excellent. The test was quite short (we prepped with the Spectrum booklet, and ds was thrilled with how short and easy the actual test was!), and not at all stressful. I'm sure that there are other tests that would give us more information on the chidren's strengths and weaknesses, but I thought the CAT-E was very satisfactory. After last year's test, we decided that he needed some work in reading comprehension, so this year we used Reading Detective and I think he will test better in that area.

to do the CAT-5. Yes, *your* scope and sequence will be different in history and science (although not necessarily different in English skills and math), but it might be interesting to see how your dc compares. And that's what you'll learn: how your dc compares to the children his approximate age in the control group. You and he will just discuss it ahead of time, that there might be things he doesn't know but it's no big deal as he knows lots of things that are not on the test so it evens out :-)

....I do want to "train" my son to be able to take a standardized test -- it is just a part of life.

So, I thought I'd go ahead and get a Spectrum test prep book and walk him through a little of that and then give him the CAT-E from Seton Hall. It only tests LA and Math skills. I initially though doing the entire CAT-5 would be really unfair of me, since our scope and sequence for social studies and science (more WTM than non) varies significantly from what would occur in public school -- or private for that matter.

:confused:Does this (CAT-E) sound like a good idea? Or, should I subject ds to a CAT5? :confused:What will I learn from the CAT5 in my situation? :confused:And what about the PASS? I can't for the life of me locate my bookmark for this homeschool friendly assessment.