Menu

MENSA reading list program

I was thinking my kids might ilke the challenge of the MENSA reading list this summer.  Is there a time limit for this?  I didn't see anywhere on the website where it said it had to be completed within a certain amount of time to get the certificate and shirt.  But I don't want to tell my kids they can earn a certificate and shirt if they won't be eligible if they take "too long".  I think it will take quite some time at least a year for DS to get through the k-3 list.

Thanks, Chelsea

• Like 1

They state that there is no restriction by grade level. They encourage parent and child to choose whichever list is the best fit for that child. So the K-3 list could be used equally by a 3 year old or a 13 year old.

I love recommending this program to people specifically because it is so open in its rules!

Great, thanks.

My dd is just finishing third grade, and my son is just finishing second. We are going to work through the list this summer. Some of the books will be easy for dd, but enough are long enough that she will be challenged. Ds will get confidence from the picture books, and the longer ones we will listen to or I will read aloud.

They state that there is no restriction by grade level. They encourage parent and child to choose whichever list is the best fit for that child. So the K-3 list could be used equally by a 3 year old or a 13 year old.

I love recommending this program to people specifically because it is so open in its rules!

Yes, I remember reading that they actually recommend kids going back to finish earlier levels. :)
  • Like 1

From their page:

Can I get credit for books I’ve already read? For each list, you may count no more than ten books previously read. The program is designed to encourage youth to read, and if a significant portion of a list has been read previously, you may either re-read the books or choose another list.
  • Like 1