Menu

Train from London to Paris

TechWife

Various members of my family have used Eurostar and liked it. You can also fly from London City airport to Paris Orly and Transfer into Paris a little bit quicker than the train journey.  But probably depends on where you where staying in London as to whether it saved you any time. Always feel like it takes an age to get out to London city airport area. 

We took the Chunnel in May 2010.  Departure was 6am or so, so there were day-tripers on the train.

Our train stopped right before the underground entrance & sat there for 2 hours or so . . . without explanation.

Long story short, a car was emitting a CO2 alarm & they couldn't enter the tunnel until they determined the problem.

So, YES, we were late . . . but Eurostar has a policy that redeems part of the fare, depending on how late the train is.

So, we got a hefty refund on the tickets.

For our dd and I, riding the Chunnel was part of the experience of our trip--yes, we could have flown, but taking the Chunnel was an experience!

I remember one passenger remarking that she was feeling sick & needed to stop at a pharmacy in Paris to get some meds.

Her travel partner remarked (rudely):  "Great!  We'll spend half the day stuck in this train & the other half stuck at the drug store!"

I wouldn't be able to just spend a 1/2 day in Paris--there are far too many "must-sees" to see!

It ran on time and was very fun and fast. I liked the French countryside and the farmers and their kids waving to us as we flew by. We went Business (I wasn't paying for it!) and had a wonderful lunch with French chocolates. I don't drink so I can't comment on the quality, but wine was also part of the lunch.

It's quite expensive for the day, though. Have you priced it out? It's priced as if the traveller has to choose between the train or a plane. According to the fare table, roundtrip standard fares (as opposed to the more expensive Standard Premiere and Business Premiere classes) would be 89-419 Euros per person, so $100-$500/person. The exact fare depends on the time of day and season, like air travel. Just FYI. I know some people who've been surprised by the high fares. Those fares include taxes, I believe, but not credit card fees.