Menu

Lively Latin? Latin Prep?

My ds and dd are going into 6th grade next year and none of us have ever done any latin. The end goal would be to use Latin for the New Millennium in 9th grade, but most reviews I have read said an introductory latin would be helpful.

I was thinking of using Lively Latin for the middle grades, but the thought of printing out all the paper is discouraging. I do like that LL has history and teaching videos. Then again maybe Latin Prep would be more appropriate to my children's age. LP is written by a noted classist, so maybe I should go with the guy who really knows his stuff, kwim.

I have read so many threads on Latin that I think my eyes are starting to cross! Any help would be appreciated.

Weve used both. I prefer Latin Prep, but prefer Henle to all of them. Lively Latin is a PITA-we used it, but I hated it. I was always misplacing things, printing them incorrectly etc. I suppose I should have just gone to Staples, printed everything out, and bound it, but I didn't. If I were to do it again, I would definitely do that. Also, I don't like that the answer key and the audio is on the site and that I would have to go to the site all the time. That's just me though. I prefer everything to be in one place. Many people like it ,however!

Weve used both. I prefer Latin Prep, but prefer Henle to all of them. Lively Latin is a PITA-we used it, but I hated it. I was always misplacing things, printing them incorrectly etc. I suppose I should have just gone to Staples, printed everything out, and bound it, but I didn't. If I were to do it again, I would definitely do that. Also, I don't like that the answer key and the audio is on the site and that I would have to go to the site all the time. That's just me though. I prefer everything to be in one place. Many people like it ,however!

What is PITA?

I looked at Lively Latin BB1 for my will-be 5th grader in the fall, but after finishing GSWL this year he is going to go straight into Henle. If you want to do three years of introductory Latin then Lively Latin would be a fun choice. But I have heard you really don't need 3 years of prep for high school Latin. If you do Latin Prep, books 1-3 are equivalent to at least a year of high school Latin. They are more age appropriate, in my opinion, than LL for 6th-8th. My 7th grader really likes Latin Prep's humor, and that it is to the point. You might ask for a specific recommendation from LFNM users (good prep program and for how long).

We used Lively Latin before moving to Henle in 7th grade with my oldest two. It was a great introduction for all of us. I had never studied Latin before using LL and it was easy for me to use and learn. It really broke it down into baby steps for all of us. I actually liked that I could just print out what I needed every day or two. We tried Latin Prep before moving to Henle and it just didn't work for us. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond everyone.

I have looked at Henle and I didn't like the small, compact type-setting. I can cope with First Form Latin's typesetting. Since I don't want to use Henle 2 or 3, I don't know if it makes sense to take 4 years to do Henle 1 using First Form Latin 1-4. 

I ordered a used copy of Latin Prep to see how we like it, and we started the free first chapter of Lively Latin yesterday. 

Maybe I should post in the High School Board to see if there are any more btdt?

Latin Prep worked very well for us.  The programme is very solid and the humour helped too.  The only caveat is that it won't say, 'Now learn this grammar before you proceed', but that is indeed what you need to do, otherwise you will start to drown.  It's not a problem, but some people don't realise this and then can't work out why the programme is becoming impossibly hard for them.  

Age 10 or so is a great age to start it.  Calvin started around then, and did two and a half of the books before going to school.  The school used Cambridge, for which he was very well prepared.  He is now at a good university studying English and Classics.

• Like 4