Menu

Biology SAT Subject Test w/o AP. Success stories?

DS will take biology with me next year. I would like him to take the Bio Subject test when he is done, but I keep reading about students taking it after AP Bio.  He may never take AP Bio.  

I have skimmed through both the Barron's prep book and the Big Blue SAT Subject Test book, and compared them to Honors Bio texts.  If the student truly knew the content of an Honors Bio text, it seems like it would work out OK.  But it would probably be way easier for an AP Bio student.  Any success stories?

• Like 1

My son took the Chemistry SAT last year without AP Chemistry, which I have also heard is not recommended.  He scored 700, which is not fantastic, but it is certainly good enough to send to colleges if he ends up applying to a school that requires it.  We decided to have him take the test only 3 weeks before it was scheduled, so he did only a little test prep.  If he had studied for it as he went along he could have done better, because there were a few things he had to cram into the last 3 weeks because they were covered in more depth on the test.  So I think if you plan from the start to take it and add in SAT type questions to your tests the entire year you can be successful.  And if you don't like the score, just don't send it to colleges.

• Like 2

My dd took the Bio SAT2 after honors bio freshman year. She got 730.

Her twin sister just took it this year along with an AP bio class. I've always just heard take it when you're taking the highest level in that subject you're going to take. We knew her sister wasn't going to take AP so she took it earlier. obviously worked out fine. :)

• Like 2

And if you don't like the score, just don't send it to colleges.

I know you can do that for AP scores, can you select which SAT subject exam scores to send or not send to colleges?  If you send one SAT subject exam score, will all subject exams that a student has taken also be sent?

• Like 2

I know you can do that for AP scores, can you select which SAT subject exam scores to send or not send to colleges? If you send one SAT subject exam score, will all subject exams that a student has taken also be sent?

According to everything Dh and I have read you can send only the exams you want to send to Universities. Exam name and date taken for SAT Subject exams so you can be a bit brave with these.

• Like 2

I think I read that you would have to send every SAT subject test that you took on that date.

I don't think you can just choose one or two...you can take three in one seating. But I don't know if I am right about that.

I think I read that you would have to send every SAT subject test that you took on that date.

I don't think you can just choose one or two...you can take three in one seating. But I don't know if I am right about that.

Pretty confident that it is by exam, if not we have a problem. We let dd do an extra last week along with two that she should do really well on. Signed her up for three again in June. One definite good score, one should be fine but needs work before, and one the is a we will see but she really wants to have (not given often).

You can't break up the ACT, maybe you were thinking of that one.

Fyi, dd learned Saturday that she can take more subject exams (other than Languages with listening) if she wants to do more after having paid for one ( or two). They are all in the exam book that they are given. You are billed later if they take extras. Of course she mentioned that after we paid for three this morning.......

• Like 1

Found it.... From the CB site, it sounds like there is a way to only send specific, individual SAT subject exam scores. But I guess different colleges could require that any and all SAT subject scores be sent.  I know it's not uncommon to require any and all SAT scores. I wonder how common it is to require any & all subject scores.

"Select which scores you want to send to your score recipients

Score Choice gives you the option to choose which scores (by test date for the SAT and by individual test for SAT Subject Tests™) you send to colleges — in accordance with an institution's stated score-use practice.

If you decide not to use Score Choice, all of your scores will be sent to your recipients."

• Like 2

Dd took biology at co-op, using the Apologia text.  The teacher held two short review sessions at the end of the year, adding an overview of evolution which the Apologia book didn't include.  Then dd went through some sections of the Princeton Review's subject test book prior to taking the test.  She received a very good score. 

• Like 2