Menu

sturdy bookends?

All lowercase, mind you. :) 

I'm looking for bookends that will be heavy, sturdy, and not ugly, and not wildly expensive (I may need a few sets, actually). The plain metal kind I have is inadequate for the job.

Can you link me to something you love? It doesn't have to be a traditional bookend if you've found some other object that serves the purpose.

I love the look of the geode ones on Amazon, but I don't think they'd be heavy enough to hold up hardcovers.

I love the look of the geode ones on Amazon, but I don't think they'd be heavy enough to hold up hardcovers.

I came in to suggest geodes.  It depends entirely upon the size, shape, and weight of the geodes.  I have some beautiful sets which are just the geode halves, but which have not been "made into official bookends". 

At the lower end of the price-point scale, buy small-sized bricks and paint them.  Apply decals to solid-coloured bricks, if you wish.  Cover some by affixing felt or other fabric. 

• Like 2

I just buy the metal kind where the books sit on them and anchor themselves.

The ones I have are just not working that way, but maybe larger ones from the site Moxie suggested will. 

I especially need something for the section of books for the rest of this year and beginning of next year. It's a mix of thin paperback books and big textbooks. I'm adding and taking things out often and need the whole thing to not collapse every time.

bins?  I think all bookstacks flop when you remove a group of books from the middle.  Sometimes heavier bookends mean that something bigger goes crashing to the ground when a stack of books hits them like dominoes.  Now, I do have some from Ikea that attach to the the bookcase and hold their place, but that's a bit different than true, freestanding bookends,  

• Like 1

It's a mix of thin paperback books and big textbooks

I put the thin paperback books into a magazine holder before putting it into a bookshelf.

The only bookends I know that work very well are the tension spring metal tube kind the library uses but they aren't pretty and only works on certain kind of bookcases.

• Like 1

I came in to suggest geodes. It depends entirely upon the size, shape, and weight of the geodes. I have some beautiful sets which are just the geode halves, but which have not been "made into official bookends".

At the lower end of the price-point scale, buy small-sized bricks and paint them. Apply decals to solid-coloured bricks, if you wish. Cover some by affixing felt or other fabric.

I was going to suggest bricks as well. One year, my aunt gave me what looked like a miniature sofa with little pullows and everything. It was meant to be a doorstop. It was two bricks, covered in quilt batting and fabric. Those make a great bookend.

• Like 2

I was going to suggest bricks as well. One year, my aunt gave me what looked like a miniature sofa with little pullows and everything. It was meant to be a doorstop. It was two bricks, covered in quilt batting and fabric. Those make a great bookend.

Your aunt is so clever! 

Although I suggested paint, the fabric covers are better because [the cover] guards against scratching the shelves. 

From age eighteen for the next ten years, I was dragging large concrete blocks from a building site and particle board shelving from city-to-city (including from college in N.C. back to graduate school in TX) because I had no other bookcases.  When I finally could afford to ditch those dinos, I thought I had reached financial success!  Concrete and bricks, accordingly, quickly spring to mind as an affordable solution for many tasks.

• Like 2