Menu

What is a good writing program for a 6th grader who's never had writing?

carlyincali

My daughter loves to write stories, but has never been taught how to write via a formal program. She is now 11 and in the 6th grade.

What is a good program I can use that can teach her from scratch?

I also have a 4th grader; but I wasn't going to give her anything for writing yet. Should I? And what should I use?

(For English Grammar we are doing GWG and they find it very easy.)

TIA,

Same here.

If money's tight you could just get the SWI level B (Mr. Pudewa teaching your student on DVD - plug in and go) using their 15 week intensive lesson plans which are available free on their website. Then resell it and get one of their themed based programs.

You'll have no trouble reselling IEW products.

IEW is great - but a second option (just because there always has to be an option, IMO...) would be WRITING STRANDS. You could have her start with book 4 and finish with book 6 by the end of the year.

TOG has a great writing guide called WRITING AIDS that you can use with any program.

There are beginnings of some fun books on grammar (Grammar Girl) that you can find at the library and use sort of as "bathroom readers" (reading short sections randomly through the book).

I just have to agree with the suggestion of IEW. We have been doing Rod and Staff grammar since 3rd grade with my oldest 2 dd's. I've only been doing the writing that's included in R&S. I decided that it was not enough, so a friend let me borrow her IEW to see if we like it. My 7th and 5th grader are doing it together, and it's going very well. We love Mr. Pudewa!

My daughter will be 11 next week and is in the 6th grade. She LOVES to write and spends her spare time working on current writing projects. We have not used much in the way of formal writing up until this year. We tried Writing Strands one year, but I think we had the wrong level and we didn't end up doing much of it. Anyway, I chose IEW for her this year. We haven't purchased it yet, but plan to soon. I'm also planning to use IEW or Writing Tales with her younger sister (3rd grade).