Menu

Help me plan a vacation

Moxie

We've never been on a real vacation. We travel lots but it is always to see family (NOT A VACATION!).

My oldest is going into high school so our time is running out. Boo hoo.

The budget is 5k for 7 people.

We live in the Midwest and don't want to spend days driving.

It has to be fun for mom too! No camping!!!

The kids want to go to Universal but I imagine it is out of our price range and I am not in love with crowds.

Thoughts??

Can you fly?? Do you have costco or sam's or AAA to check out package deals?? DH has something through something called wild at work through his HR that gives discount tickets for events/cruises, etc. I would start there and see what you can find on special in driving distance.

Here is a site that might help with ideas/lodging: www.getravelop.com . They have places for 7 nights for $369. Lots in Branson if that would be nearby??

Otherwise I think Universal in CA would be $$$. Not sure where you are located, but flights alone for 7 could eat up most of the budget. Plus rental + hotel + park passes..... I don't think 5000 would cut it, iykwim. Is FL closer? Although that also might run $$$$.

Do you have preferences besides no camping?? Historical sites? State parks? Zoos? Museums??

All real airports are at least 2 hours away. Flying from a local airport is very expensive.

No passports.

We need to go in June.

I like the beach. DH and kids like to "do something".

Either drive to Michigan and hit the beaches there, or Wisconsin Dells (Kalahari waterpark is where we used to stay).  We also liked to drive down to Nashville - and the waterpark there is on a lake https://www.nashvilleshores.com/ plus it is cool and cheap to park at the mall and walk into Opryland Hotel - we caught a free show by some Chinese acrobats there once.  There is always something going on at that huge hotel, the kids loved wandering all over it.  We usually stayed at a cheap motel on outskirts of town....but with your budget you could stay someplace nicer.

• Like 1

All real airports are at least 2 hours away. Flying from a local airport is very expensive.

No passports.

We need to go in June.

You've got to give us an idea (closer than "midwest") of where to start from if you don't want to spend days driving.  It need not be exactly where you live, of course.  Pick one of those 2 hour away airports...

FWIW, the main airport we use is 1 1/2 hours away.  It's worth the drive - and sometimes a night's stay near there - to have their inexpensive flights.

I recently made flight arrangements for my boys to come home from college.  It only cost youngest $80 to fly home from FL.  If these airports have similar lower fares to popular spots, it might not be inexpensive to fly somewhere decent - even for 7.  It's why I asked as it wouldn't take me long to check.   :coolgleamA:

There are plenty of beaches that are terrific in June and many of those have things to do around them.  We just need to know where you can get/stay within your budget without days of driving.  To do that we really need a starting point.  A 2 hour away airport would suit just fine.  Give a couple of airports if you can.  We usually fly from Baltimore, but once in a while Dulles or Harrisburg is actually less costly for reasons unknown.

• Like 1

Oregon coast? Fly to Portland, rent a vehicle and drive to Bandon area. Beach for you and swimming, hiking and cheese tours for them?

It depends on what she thinks of when she thinks "beach." Oregon is definitely a coast--waves, sand, tidal pools, cool rocks and cliffs . . . but also freezing cold water and likely at least some rain.

If she thinks beach means sun, miles of unbroken sand, and warm water, Oregon could be a shock.

And I say this as someone born in Oregon who loves the Oregon coast.

• Like 2

No passports.

We need to go in June.

Family of 6 here. For family trips, we usually fly out of Montreal (2.5 hours away) or Boston (3.5 hours away). The cost savings x6 almost always make it worthwhile.

• Like 1

Large families often need two rooms at hotels, which gets expensive. Places like Staybridge or Courtyard Residence Inn by Marriot are often far more cost-effective. If it has at least a small kitchen and , you won't have to pay for every meal in restaurants. Many places also serve breakfast, which keeps your meals costs down too. 

Since you are thinking about Universal, I checked prices for you:

1 day adult ticket costs $147; 4 day adult ticket costs $214.99.

The first day costs the most--and after that it's not much to add more days. Your whole family could spend 4 days at Universal for around $1500, (not counting food or hotels). That would leave $3500 in your budget for travel, lodging and food. 

Wherever you decide to stay, a pool would be on my "must have" list. (Beaches are great, but watching kids at a pool is usually easier--and therefore I find pools more relaxing.) Bring life jackets for any of your kids that can't swim. Some of my fondest memories of family vacations, both as a child and as an adult, are of the times spent by hotel/motel pools.  If you decide to drive, make the trip there part of your vacation by stopping off at things to see along the way and staying at motels that have nice pools.

• Like 1

Homewood suites are also another option if they have any where you will be staying.  They often have 2 bedrooms with a sofa bed and kitchen.  Another plus is that they often offer a "light meal" for supper M-Th which has things like taco and salad bar, pizza and salad bar, pasta and salad bar, etc. They also have a very nice and hearty hot breakfast.  For a family of 7 that could be a huge savings in meals to eat some suppers and all breakfasts in the hotel.  Then depending on your budget you could eat out at local/fun places or pack something for lunch.

• Like 1

Go to homeaway.com to find home rentals.  You can sometimes rent a home for an entire week for $1K or less, depending on where you go, perhaps one near Orlando.

If not a house, Drury Inns and Suites are the best value as they provide both dinner AND breakfast, along with a pretty affordable nightly rate (plus snacks throughout the day and night).

Doing the above may free up enough money to fly to Florida.

If Florida isn't affordable, I would second what others have said about Michigan (assuming that's not where you already live).  In Michigan, you've got Mackinac Island and then north of there is Sault Ste. Marie (and the Locks, which are a blast to check out).  Also in the Upper Peninsula are Pictured Rocks boat tours, Tacquemenon Falls, Copper Harbor, and Whitefish Point (where you can see relics of the Edmund Fitzgerald).

If you do live in Michigan, maybe head south to Tennessee...you can go to Chattanooga and take the world's steepest incline railroad up the mountain, and also check out the caves. 

Another option is trailering a camper to Niagara Falls.  We did this and even though it is camping, the beauty of the falls certainly made up for it. 

• Like 1

I think if you are willing to drive to a "real" airport Universal Studios could be doable for your budget. You need to research the best way to get airline tickets. My neighbor says the cheapest day to fly on Southwest is Tuesday. You have to look into issues like that.

I've been researching Universal for myself. My budget is far, far lower, but I am only taking two of my dc and I will drive my smallest most fuel efficient vehicle for 13 hours to make it work.  

• Like 1