Menu

Best clothing/styles (modest!) for petite, slender, but curvy, women.

AimeeM

I'm feeling kind of dumpy lately, regarding my wardrobe. I prefer skirts (that are easy to move in; not pencil), dresses, and sometimes jeans. Finding skirts that fit me nicely is HARD.

I'm 5'1", slender around the waist, but curvy.

I am somewhat "busty" and I have defined hips. This makes jeans terribly hard to buy, because while I may be a size 2/4 around the waist, I am definitely a 6 or so in the hip section - this is the only reason I can think of that jeans feel a bit too snug going on initially, but (inevitably) once I start moving around and the jeans are "loosened up," they start sliding down and I feel like I'm constantly "hitching" them back up my rear end!

So, my go-to is a pretty skirt that flows, but is generally "shapeless" and an equally shapeless top. This does nothing for making me feel more attractive (and I'm not feeling very attractive lately... at all). 

The other obvious problem is my height. Any skirt or dress has to be altered (thank God my youngest's Godmother lives across the street and is handy with a sewing machine!) for length; if it's supposed to fit right below the knees, it's down my calfs; if it's supposed to fit to the ankle, it's floor length. With dresses this means even more altering because the length of the straps, etc.

Oh, and I already look young for my age, on top of my height (I'm 30; most people assume early 20's, unless it's a bad day and I have no make-up on and mashed potatoes in my hair).

I'm tired of shopping in the junior's section, my Macy's doesn't have much of a petite section at all. I need a make-over. I don't mind having clothing, but I'm at a loss as to what  would look nice, somewhat "hip" style-wise, but still conservative/modest... and more my age.

Wear belts with your jeans?

Shapeless tops are frumpy.

Most stylish tops are too low cut, especially for short people.  You can 'wholesome-up" stylish tops with Cami Secrets.  They are false-front camisoles.  They are better than wearing real camisoles under your clothes because real camisoles show the tops of bOOks almost as much as stylish tops.  Cami Secrets keep 'the girls' covered, even when you bend over.  I got mine at Kmart in the As Seen On TV section.  They're modestly priced, and worth every penny.

• Like 1

Have you ever seen Jag Jeans?  I came across them recently on a blog I read occasionally.  It looks like an upscale elastic-waist jean.  It is a wide, stretchy waist that is meant to be covered by a top but doesn't scream "elastic" if your hem is ever-so-slightly askew.  The blogger who raved about them is about a 14 petite, so curvier than you but perhaps similarly proportioned.

You could try Wallflower jeans. Sometimes they come in short sizes. I'm a couple inches taller than you but it sounds like around the same size. I can wear the regular length jeans, but sometimes they are slightly too long. I always bump up for juniors sizing, so a size 7 short in their curvy jeans may work for you. Because they are made to fit snugly, you can even try a 9 short, but you may need a belt. I particularly like the cut of the jeans with double buttons in the front. The problem with jeans getting looser as you wear them is common. I just wear a belt. They sell them on amazon.com and Kohls.