Menu

MCT has a new book out

I feel so left out of the secret email club. ;) What are the new math books?

From the email:

Robert Black, an engineer in his daytime job, is writing novels for us in the genre of mathematical fiction. Night of the Frightening Fractions follows the popularNight of the Paranormal Patterns. Each chapter is filled with pre-algebra math problems that the girl hero has to solve on behalf of a crowd of strange monsters who have adopted her as their Pattern-Finder.

Children's Bookwatch said of "Night of the Paranormal Patterns": Highly recommended, especially for public and school library YA collection. 

I should probably start another thread, but may be someone can give me quick info

I thought MCT LA curriculum for grades 3 and up, but it looks like Grammar Island is for 7 yr old.  Do people start MCT earlier than 3rd grade?

Some people do, but they often report that the poetry component is a little too difficult for their children at that age. It also seems that many of them take a break later on, because their kids aren't always able for the jump in difficulty between levels. Some have used it early without difficulty.

I think the official recommendation is that Grammar Island is meant for 4th graders or for advanced/gifted 3rd graders.

• Like 1

I should probably start another thread, but may be someone can give me quick info

I thought MCT LA curriculum for grades 3 and up, but it looks like Grammar Island is for 7 yr old.  Do people start MCT earlier than 3rd grade?

When I have heard Michael Clay Thompson speak at conventions, he has always emphasized that kids are ready for Grammar Island when they are reading to learn instead of learning to read.

Also, I asked him about the Mud Trilogy and he said it would be fine for a kid to read those before they started Grammar Island.

My current plan is for Peter to read the Mud Trilogy toward the end of first grade (he is currently in K and reading at a high 3rd grade level) and probably be ready for Grammar Island in 2nd.  If, however, he struggles then we will simply set it aside for 6 to 12 months.

Wendy

• Like 1

Yay, another book to stare longingly at and not be able to buy.

I suppose when I finish homeschooling I could set myself up as a local supplier for all the resources that cost a million bucks to post to AU....or hey, MCT could just produce an e-book!!!

Enjoy your book Wendy. And I only say that slightly passive-aggressively :)

Do it do it do it do it!

Yep. They are a zillion dollars.

I know nothing about ibooks, but I assume they don't work on android devices. Anyone know?

I'm pretty sure you can download the iBook app onto windows devices... I'll have to try it.

• 3 weeks later...