Menu

Scotland???

moonlight

Where would you stay in the Scottish Highlands? Looking for nature and lots of room for my kids to be able to play. We're also staying in the Scottish Borders, but I've already figured out a beautiful place to stay.

What are some not to be missed sights there?

I really want to see The Fairy Pools, but can't find a place that is close enough to it and still somewhat central...

What would you study with the kids to make the country come alive for them? (not in great detail, mainly just for fun and to make the trip more meaningful)

We are going to Scotland and the northern parts of England. Topics we will cover so far: Robert Louis Stevenson, Beatrix Potter, Mary: Queen of Scots.

Thanks.

We stayed in one of these cottages at Loch Ness a few years back. Best experience ever. It was beautiful, peaceful, tons of open space, woods, local castles and ruins to tour.... I'm not sure what the minimum stay is, but it is a good base for exploring the highlands if you want to camp out somewhere for a bit.

http://aldouriecastle.co.uk.gridhosted.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ACE_Cottages_Brochure_A4_2014_2015_prices.pdf

We did Scotland as a personal pilgrimage of sorts as my dh's family traces their roots back to the Isle of Barra--one of the outer Hebrides islands. Most of our time was spent there. As we came back from there, we traveled through some of the Highlands. Glencoe comes to mind as a place we stayed. Very small village with the sweetest cottages and gardens.

For what it's worth, Oban is a pretty little port on the west coast. One of the finest meals of my life was there. .... fresh, hot fish and chips as we sat on the edge of the bay... gorgeous. We were there to catch the ferry to Barra and had a moment as well.

We also did a visit to Loch Ness and spent several days in Edinburgh.

Beautiful, beautiful country.

We thoroughly enjoyed Isle of Harris (and by extension the Isle of Lewis) and the Uists staying in Leverburgh (on the Harris end); Isle of Skye (can't remember where we stayed); and Inverness. We stayed in B&Bs everywhere on that trip and had no issues with finding a place to stay when we were there (October).

We also enjoyed Oban and Glencoe.

I'll try to answer more later. Kid calling.

Depending on how long you are staying you should consider renting a holiday house for a week. Generally very economical per night plus you can do your own catering. Make sure you get one large enough is the only warning I have about them. There is generally just enough room for the number of people advertised. ;)

We enjoyed the Wallace and Bruce exhibits available in and around Stirling. Really good.

• Like 1