Menu

Stressing over 3rd grade Math curriculum decisions!!

amyc78

I am really starting to panic over which math curriculum to use for DS8's 3rd grade year. We are on lesson 24 of MUS Gamma right now. He has always done very well with MUS… my only issues with the program are:

1) not enough practice at the Gamma level- once multiple digit multiplication started, we've had to slow down and add in some extra practice, which is not a huge deal except that it requires a little extra legwork from me. 

2) Using Steve Demme's method (place value notation) for multiplication is confusing to BOTH of us, so I've been reteaching him to do multiplication in a way that makes sense to us… this makes me wonder if this is just a one time occurrence or if I will find myself reteaching in Delta as well, in which case maybe we just need a different program?

3) I have to supplement for math fact memorization, telling time, weights and measures, money, graphs, etc. I keep hearing that all of this has been or will be covered but either I've missed it or its not often enough. We haven't even discussed whole numbers, fractions, decimals, percentages, etc. 

4) I did not learn math the way MUS teaches. I love the conceptual foundation it has given DS but if he has questions I am often at a loss for how to explain it to him, find myself rewatching the DVDs with him so I can try to understand how to explain...

5) He seems to forget what he's learned very easily. I don't know how many times we have gone over the difference between area and perimeter but it's just. not. sticking.

All of the above may or may not be resolved in finding a new curriculum or it just may be issues that occur no matter how you teach math...

DS is good at math but he doesn't LOVE it. He is a perfectionist who needs some confidence building review without being bored. We originally chose MUS because as a 5 year old, the blocks were very attractive and the short assignments were about as much as he could handle. Now that he is more mature, he can handle more work at one sitting (but not a ton more) and he no longer uses the blocks.

SO what do I want in a math program? Honestly I'm not 100% sure and I'm not even sure how to know what i want. I want DS to be adequately prepared for college prep high school math, whether that be at home, through CC Challenge or public or private school. I need a program that is not teacher intensive but provides enough support that I can help him without being totally lost myself. He personally likes colorful, games, "codes", etc to keep him interested. He is very science-y, excellent at memorization, has great spatial ability and an engineering mind, so I would like to encourage these gifts through math if possible.

In the past week, I have looked at (and been convinced to buy, haha) Abeka Arithmetic 3, Saxon Intermediate 3, Saxon 5/4, Horizons 3, Teaching Textbooks 4… Or the option to stick with MUS but supplement with Life of Fred, Kumon workbooks, math facts games, Kahn, etc.

If anybody could give me any insight into what formed your math decisions, that would be so helpful. Opinions about specific curriculum would also be helpful, but at this point, I'm not even sure what my own 'math philosophy' is or how to form one… And I've got a rising first grader who I've got to make these decisions for as well… {sigh}

TIA for any wisdom and insight you can share!

• Like 1

Hmmm. You want CLE :).

We left MUS for some of the same reasons you mention.

"1) not enough practice at the Gamma level- once multiple digit multiplication started, we've had to slow down and add in some extra practice, which is not a huge deal except that it requires a little extra legwork from me.

3) I have to supplement for math fact memorization, telling time, weights and measures, money, graphs, etc. I keep hearing that all of this has been or will be covered but either I've missed it or its not often enough. We haven't even discussed whole numbers, fractions, decimals, percentages, etc.

5) He seems to forget what he's learned very easily. I don't know how many times we have gone over the difference between area and perimeter but it's just. not. sticking."

#1, we didn't make it that far, but there wasn't enough review. This ties into #5 about lack of retention. Ditto with my kids. I retaught SO many times. Especially time! #3! Craziness, only taught in a block once a year. CLE starts teaching all of those items in #3 in first and keeps at it. It has ongoing mixed review of ALL the previously taught skills so they are not forgotten. It scheduled flash cards and includes speed drills for fact memorization.

#4 will be fixed because CLE is very traditional.

We have really enjoyed CLE and given my children math confidence. Despite the fact that I was ideologically committed to MUS, CLE's spiral approach with ongoing review was a game changer for us.

We still use the blocks and MUS place value methods though!

• Like 3

Hmmm. You want CLE :).

We left MUS for some of the same reasons you mention.

"1) not enough practice at the Gamma level- once multiple digit multiplication started, we've had to slow down and add in some extra practice, which is not a huge deal except that it requires a little extra legwork from me.

5) He seems to forget what he's learned very easily. I don't know how many times we have gone over the difference between area and perimeter but it's just. not. sticking."

#1, we didn't make it that far, but there wasn't enough review. This ties into #5 about lack of retention. Ditto with my kids. I retaught SO many times. Especially time! #3! Craziness, only taught in a block once a year. CLE starts teaching all of those items in #3 in first and keeps at it. It has ongoing mixed review of ALL the previously taught skills so they are not forgotten. It scheduled flash cards and includes speed drills for fact memorization.

#4 will be fixed because CLE is very traditional.

We have really enjoyed CLE and given my children math confidence. Despite the fact that I was ideologically committed to MUS, CLE's spiral approach with ongoing review was a game changer for us.

We still use the blocks and MUS place value methods though!

I'm looking at CLE now. The fact that we could try out a unit before committing to the whole year is attractive. If he is finishing up Gamma now, would I start him at Grade 3 Light Units next year? Are the answer keys and teachers guide both necessary? How much teaching time does it require from you?

I haven't used MUS, and I don't know when they teach what.

But regarding:

3) Fractions, percents, decimals...we're using Righstart.  We've only *briefly* touched on fractions.  NO percents, NO decimals.  Only a cursory introduction to line plots.  Are these normally grade 2 topics?  I wouldn't have thought so!

First, do the placement test, it's free online. The -01 light units are review after summer type books and don't had the same teaching format as the others, so get a different one to sample. I'd say 15-20 minutes tops once you do flashcards, speed drill, any oral counting, and going over any topics that need help. The worktexts is self teaching. TGs with answers in are better than answer keys, Sunrise 2nd edition contains full page reproductions with answers, extra practice page, teaching tips, alternate tests, indexes etc. answer keys only have answers,

CLE doesn't teach decimals or percentages in 2nd, but does have fractions BTW.

CLE has a lot to recommend it, and it would fit your criteria for not so teacher-intensive and more review. It may not meet his need for games and challenge, though, so definitely consider that as you give a light unit a try. You might also consider Math Mammoth, as it meets many of the same criteria but presents topics with a bit more variety of formats, and with some color.

If you'd like some thoughts on thinking through a philosophy of math, as well as thinking through your personal preferences, take a look at my article on how to choose homeschool math curriculum. http://kateshomeschoolmath.com/how-to-choose-homeschool-math-curriculum/

• Like 2

CLE has a lot to recommend it, and it would fit your criteria for not so teacher-intensive and more review. It may not meet his need for games and challenge, though, so definitely consider that as you give a light unit a try. You might also consider Math Mammoth, as it meets many of the same criteria but presents topics with a bit more variety of formats, and with some color.

If you'd like some thoughts on thinking through a philosophy of math, as well as thinking through your personal preferences, take a look at my article on how to choose homeschool math curriculum. http://kateshomeschoolmath.com/how-to-choose-homeschool-math-curriculum/

Thank you so much, Kate, I just read several of your blog posts. What do you think of combining MUS with CLE? We are on lesson 24 of Gamma right now (double digit multiplication with regrouping) and I am slowing it down to just keep practicing this concept for a while and work on memorizing through the 12s times tables (just for efficiency sake). If I slowed down MUS and added CLE 300, would that be too much? It seems like he's already covered the concepts of the first part of CLE 300 but this would be a more traditional application (plus fill in with lots of real life math work and memorization). We've done no fractions in this point of MUS but he is mathy enough that I think he will be able to grasp them quickly.

And yes you could probably run MUS and CLE together but it might be overkill.

Definitely give the placement tests and start back a few levels when you print them out. Make sure there are no gaps. CLE can be a bit ahead of other programs in the introduction of concepts. Easy to accelerate so dont worry if he places back a level. Just shore up the gaps and move forward.

We are in Abeka 3 right now after becoming very frustrated with Saxon 3.  I also started my second son on A Beka K at the beginning of the year.  I can give insights on these programs since you mentioned them.

Both are incremental/spiral and continually review subjects.  Both have very detailed teacher's manuals.  Both have plenty of drill and practice.  Both teach in more of a "traditional" math format.  Saxon K-3 was written by a different author and is less popular than 5/4 and up.  I would take a placement test, but he could probably go into 5/4 if he has been doing well with multiplication.  5/4 is similar in scope and sequence to A Beka 3.  A Beka 3 has a lot in it, and then 4 and 5 move a bit slower in their scope and sequence.  

One of the things we like about A Beka is how colorful it is for my visual-oriented boys.  I know that sounds trivial to many, but my kindergartener (who is more workbook-y) begged to do this workbook and often wants to do more than one page a day.  My third grader, after seeing the A Beka curriculum and doing only Saxon for years, begged to do the more colorful one.  Another thing I love about A Beka is the fact memorization, which I believe is very important in these ages.  It is the foundation for math.  Both teach traditional algorithms, but I find it is easy to teach a deeper concept or another way of looking at something, but I don't have to belabor it when they "get" it.  The most important reason we switched is their presentation of math facts in families in order instead of the haphazard way they present it in Saxon.  They also give you several oral drills and game ideas and challenge questions in the teachers manual.  The cons of A Beka is that there can be a lot of visual aids and classroom type of extras that add up. You don't need them all, but some are helpful.  It is more classroom based.  They can also have too much drill for some people, but this is easily adapted.  A portion of their math is numbered in green, which denotes extra practice.  Therefore, it's easy to say, do the black problems unless they need extra reinforcement.

Saxon is great in K-3 for its use of manipulatives.  This tends to go away in upper levels.  In 5/4, they will need to write out all the problems.  The workbooks go away at this level.  But it is rigorous and thorough in the things they cover.  In 5/4, there is no teacher's manual.  All the instruction is in the book.  They mostly learn multiplication by skip counting and drill, and the facts are not presented in order.  

Saxon is a better curriculum for the long term, imo.  We may go back to it at some point, but my oldest has some strong hatred toward it right now.  I think A Beka is better at K-3.  A Beka does not have the deeper, conceptual thinking in the upper grades.  I personally wouldn't use it past elementary.  We also supplement with LOF and may add Beast Academy at some point.  I have heard Horizons is better at this than A Beka and goes through Algebra I.  I chose A Beka because I had planned to use Saxon in upper levels, and I did not think the Horizon Teacher's manual was as thorough as I desired.  

Those are my experiences, and I hope that is helpful to you.

• Like 2

My son is in MUS gamma right now. We are on the other side loving it. I do supplement with a few other things, but not on a consistent day to day basis like I use MUS. I don't think it is necessary though.

MUS gamma and delta saved my three older children from tears when it came to learning multiplication and division.

I start at gamma and use another programs from k-2 ( BJU )