Menu

Talk to me about Habitat for Humanity

Amethyst

My dd15 wants to go with church youth group to habitat for humanity trip. Church does this every year but none of my kids have participated. We just got a form that asks her to rank her ability in certain areas and I just have to laugh... Electricity? Roofing? Plumbing? She can paint walls(sort of) and knows how to use a broom. Thats about it as far as i can tell. Are these trips helpful to anyone? Are they safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only worked on local houses, but the project or site managers are really good at working with people who are not experienced construction workers. If she did happen to have plumbing skills, they would want her to use those instead of having her hang drywall. Since she doesn't, they will teach her how to drive a nail or paint. There is always site clean up too.

• Like 1

My mom works with Habitat and has traveled on several work trips.  In her experience they are well organized and very safe (except for the occasional splinter or bruised thumb from a misplaced hammer swing).  There are some volunteers who show up with no building experience at all, and they find something useful for everyone to do.  Many jobs, like landscaping or painting or hanging siding, require lots of man hours, but relatively little skill.  Even a complete novice can contribute valuable labor (and learn valuable skills) when working under an experienced crew leader.

Wendy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...