Menu

Food science or chemistry of cooking & baking???

Has anyone studied these topics with their children?  Do you have any favorite resources you are willing to share?  Any textbooks out there geared for 8th grade or high school?  I love to do a study on why certain things are done when one cooks and bakes.  Why is flour and corn starch used to thicken sauces?  Why bring it to a boil?  What's the difference between baking powder & baking soda? Etc, Etc.  I'd prefer to not put together my own thing.  There has to be a book or something out there for lay people.  Thanks!

Alton Brown has a great cookbook that goes over a lot of this. We got it last year when dd (then 8) was working on a science fair project. She was a somewhat advanced reader, but she was able to read some of it on her own, and I'm sure it would be easily understood by an 8th grader. I'll see if I can come up with the title...

Episodes of his show are fantastic for food science too. I'd love to build a study around them!

ETA: Found it! We used I'm Just Here for More Food: Food x Mixing + Heat = Baking, which is all baking recipes.There's also I'm Just Here for the Food: Food + Heat = Cooking, which seems to be more about cooking.

• Like 1

There are so many great books out there now, but the grandaddy/bible of food science as got to be On Food and Cooking:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0684800012/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0ZKYVA6AHAPDBP47SYF2&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

MIT OCW has a Kitchen Chemistry course - you can download the syllabus, recipes, etc:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/special-programs/sp-287-kitchen-chemistry-spring-2009/

• Like 1