Menu

Does this exist? History through art/architecture

K&Rs Mom

This is what my 10yo has requested for next year (6th grade).  She wants her history to be based on studying the architecture of different times/places.  She also wants something textbooky with occasional worksheets.  I'd settle for one or the other, because I can make worksheets or supplement a text with art resources.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

As far as I know, you'll have to build it. My DS did architecture for his fifth grade science. We had a blast!

Some of the resources we used:
Building Big book and 5 DVDs by David Macaulay, extra projects on the DVDs (this was our spine for half a year or more, we really fleshed it out though)

The Complete Architecture Handbook

Grand Constructions by Cesarani

Kaleidoscope Kids activity books (Bridges, Skyscrapers, etc)

Eyewitness book on buildings in general

lots of internet research

documentaries

Complete a Sketch for drawing skills

The Heights by Ascher

City By Design: ________ (choose large city near you)

probably lots more I'm forgetting
Draw 50 Buildings
__________ Then and Now (city again)

Great Courses has a course called Understanding the World's Greatest Structures. We didn't find it until after he'd finished architecture, but if I see a deal on it we're totally getting it.

• Like 1

Oh, Architecture is Elementary by Winters had some good lessons in it too.  How Buildings Stand Up and Why Buildings Fall Down are also good reads, but probably not for the 6th grader to read straight through on their own.

• Like 1

We used these in middle school.

The Annotated Arch: A Crash Course in the History of Architecture by Carol Strickland

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Arch-Course-History-Architecture/dp/0740710249/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428278188&sr=8-1&keywords=the+annotated+arch

The Annotated Mona Lisa: A Crash Course in Art History from Prehistoric to Post Modern

http://www.amazon.com/The-Annotated-Mona-Lisa-Prehistoric/dp/0740768727/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

• Like 1

We just finished an interdisciplinary unit on houses and I can say that if you're willing to, I think there's enough out there to make architecture into a history through architecture unit. Having just come off of the focus we had, I can say that it would seem especially possible to do US history through architecture in a really interesting way. We had a book that we just loved about the history of styles of houses and how they reflected changes in the country. It was really nifty. You could do it a few different ways - history of the US through architecture, then through music, then through visual arts... Could be three really neat units and you could keep a timeline to make it come together. But it would definitely be a DIY curriculum project. 

• Like 1

We had a book that we just loved about the history of styles of houses and how they reflected changes in the country. It was really nifty. 

Could you tell me what book it was?

This looks interesting: The Story of Architecture

And it turns out this one is at my library: A History of Architecture  :D  That's definitely where I'm going to start.

I don't homeschool yet (son is only 1) so I can't comment as to how this will work, but I have "Art in Story" by Marianne Saccardi that I was planning in using with SOTW. It's meant for elementary, I would say earlier years, so you would probably have to beef it up. It covers ancient world art, art of the East and Africa, middle and renaissance era, various time periods in America. Each chapter offers a basic background info, a story, small activity, curriculum connections to make, and additional adult and children references to pull from. As an additional reference for myself I have the "The Story of Art" by E.H. Gombrich which seems a little dry and meant as more of a college type text, but could be a source to help you pull things together.

• Like 1

Could you tell me what book it was?

This looks interesting: The Story of Architecture

And it turns out this one is at my library: A History of Architecture  :D  That's definitely where I'm going to start.

It was Old House, New House by Michael Gaughenbaugh. It's super out of print but it was very good. Long picture book in an interesting, meandering format with a little bit of a story to go with it.

• Like 2

My DS has been working his way through A Child's History of Art: Architecture, doing 1-2 lessons a week. There are 54 lessons in all so he will finish it next year. We use it as an elective but it could easily be fleshed out to make a full blown history course. It is a Calvert course but we bought it at Christian Books. 

http://www.christianbook.com/a-childs-history-of-art-architecture/v-m-hillyer/pd/228502?event=ESRCG

• Like 2

My DS has been working his way through A Child's History of Art: Architecture, doing 1-2 lessons a week. There are 54 lessons in all so he will finish it next year. We use it as an elective but it could easily be fleshed out to make a full blown history course. It is a Calvert course but we bought it at Christian Books. 

http://www.christianbook.com/a-childs-history-of-art-architecture/v-m-hillyer/pd/228502?event=ESRCG

This may be exactly what I'm looking for.  Calvert is a Protestant school, right?  Is there much/any religion in this course?  It would be hard to cover architecture history without temples & cathedrals, but I'm curious how that is handled.

Religions are mention in context of the buildings (many of which are temples/cathedrals) but as far as I've noticed there doesn't seem to be a religious agenda. My son uses this program on his own, so I haven't read every lesson. It does assume some basic knowledge of bible stories... ie "Do you remember the story of the Babylonians building the Tower of Babel?" but it does not include the bible story in the text and if you didn't know the story it wouldn't really matter. I think it can be used in a Christian or secular program without any modification. 

• Like 1

This looks great. Could this be done on the side or would you use this for history by itself?

My DS uses it as an elective and does it 1-2 a week. He does his main history M-W and then has Th-F to work on the Architecture lessons as he wants. I haven't tried to line them up with anything... but that doesn't bother him at all. He is covering about half of it this year, which works well since he is doing World History part 1 (from Seton) this year and will finish World History 2 next year. So around the time he is hitting modern times in his Seton book he will be hitting modern times in the architecture book next year.

There are three books in set, including the main textbook, the lesson guides, and the art cards. The lessons are generally set up so that it alternates between a reading lesson with a few comprehension questions, followed in the next lesson by a hands on activity or art project. The art cards add more photos and there are quite a few website links to add more depth. 

You could really use it either way... as an elective like we do (basically we use it as an art class). My DS pretty much does it on his own and I don't require any writing to go with it. BUT you could easily make it full curriculum by adding in larger research projects, outlining/papers, and similar. It was an awesome find for my architecture loving DS.

• Like 1

We do this. Gardner's Art Through the Ages. That is all you need. I have the eleventh edition from way back when I was in college, before they split them all up. It could use for a bit more women mentioned, but for sixth grade it would be ideal. We used it this year for fifth grade.

It specifically lists the artof the time periods along with the history giving you visual examples pulling you through time. It discusses explicitly hoe Egyptian columns look like papyrus reeds and this is how Greek columns were fashioned after the Greeks saw the Egyptian one's. Lots of such content. Full color pictures.

The older editions are less than ten bucks on Amazon.

For worksheets, we do CrashCourse world history viewers guides. The Teaching Company has a Great Course called How to Look at and Understand Great Art. If this is avaliable from your library, I highly recommend it.

• Like 2