Menu

growing sprouts (s/o lettuce)

athomeontheprairie

I've always wanted to grow sprouts. But never had. I can't buy them locally. Or rather I can't buy seeds that are specifically marked for sprouts. Maybe they'll work anyway?

So what do I need to know? Where should I start? Recommendations for online suppliers? How much do I need? (Or how long will x-amount last?)

Thanks!

You have to make sure you use seed that is untreated.  If you can get seeds meant for eating, they will often work to sprout also.

Some sprouting trays you can buy will start with a starter pack of organic sprout seeds. Or you can use a jar with cloth over the lid to allow rinsing and draining.

My favorite type of sprouts are actually pea sprouts, and I think they are best grown in a little pot (say 4 square inches) with soil. I use whole peas such as are sold for making pea soup. (Split ones won't grow usually though).  Mung beans also make good sprouts.  Clover and alfalfa also are tasty, but since they are not normally used for human food you have to find sources that are safe for eating. Radish is spicy, but I only like a bit of radish sprouts.

I've always wanted to grow sprouts. But never had. I can't buy them locally. Or rather I can't buy seeds that are specifically marked for sprouts. Maybe they'll work anyway?

So what do I need to know? Where should I start? Recommendations for online suppliers? How much do I need? (Or how long will x-amount last?)

Thanks!

What kind of sprouts? Bean sprouts? alfalfa sprouts?

When I lived in Charlotte the stores would carry a mixed "crunchy bean" that I loved!  The beans only had a tiny tail so all you'd have to do is soak and rinse over a couple days to get the same effect, the crunchy bean included mung, pea, black, pinto, adzuki, lentils, and a couple other I can remember.  For sprouts the same grocery store carried 3-4 different types, besides Alfalfa the one I I always bought was the broccoli sprouts(a little sweeter), I kind of liked the radish sprouts but they did have a bit of spiciness to them.

I like these people, Sprout People, they sale seed mix but they also have a lot of good info.