Menu

Is it okay to ask a puberty question?

My oldest dd will be 9 in one month. She has developed breast buds seemingly overnight. I was a late bloomer so I'm puzzled and, to be honest, alarmed. She seems so young. Her tooth fell out the same day I noticed and I realized I had a kid that was excited about the tooth fairy and developing. Can some moms with older daughters please help me navigate these waters? Is this a "normal" age for this? I really trust the moms here at WTM so I wanted to ask here first. Thanks.

Is your daughter mine? I could have written your post, down to the 9th birthday next month.

I was thinking that they really aren't breast buds. They have to be due to her chubbiness. That was denial. I'm going to have to get her some appropriate undergarments soon.

No advice. Just know you aren't alone.

I have an 8 1/2 yr old daughter. She has breast buds and some underarm and pubic hair. My mother in law started her cycle at 10 years old, and it would seem that despite my efforts at keeping soy out of the house, organic dairy in the house, and limiting eating of hormone-containing meat, early puberty is happening anyway.

Be back to post more.

My oldest dd will be 9 in one month. She has developed breast buds seemingly overnight. I was a late bloomer so I'm puzzled and, to be honest, alarmed. She seems so young. Her tooth fell out the same day I noticed and I realized I had a kid that was excited about the tooth fairy and developing. Can some moms with older daughters please help me navigate these waters? Is this a "normal" age for this? I really trust the moms here at WTM so I wanted to ask here first. Thanks.

My dd will be 10 the end of this month. She developed breast buds several months ago. Just two weeks ago she lost a tooth and was thrilled that the tooth fairy came.

The buds have stayed little buds for a while now - does that help? :grouphug: I'm just thinking, I am so not ready for her to have periods yet.

NO, you can't ask a question! ;) Sorry, couldn't resist!

I'm going through exactly the same thing! My dd9.5 starting "sprouting" before she turned 9--she now has real little breasts! Can't use one of those flat little material bras, because her nipples totally show through it, and she has started getting tiny pimples once in a while, which I totally don't know how to handle; I always had perfect skin; had my first pimple when I was 22, and have only had 5 in my life!

I have heard that just different chemicals in water and food make a diff nowadays. I don't know if that is true, but, also, your dh's background can influence it. And, we are veg, and eat a lot of soy, which I know can influence it. Either way, it is here and I know I have to handle it. No period yet, thank goodness! My sister complains so about her's, I don't know how my dd will handle it!

Basically, for what has happened with mine, I downplay the whole "boy" thing, letting her know that, even if her body is developing early, she is still a "little girl", and she knows that. We are very open about everything, and I have discussed the changes with her--I don't want her to feel uncomfortable, as I did, wearing big clothes, etc. I let her wear things that show that she has a body--not tight, etc, but normal, and she likes her body, is comfortable with it, which I love, but not obsessed. That is the way it should be, I feel.

I really believe most of her attitude will come from you, some from her friends. Don't let her know you are bewildered or concerned. I did tell my dd I didn't develop as early, but that isn't a prob. One book my dd adores is from Usborne, called "What's Happening To Me". Highly recommend it.

HTH. In the meantime, just remember to breathe. :001_smile:

First....:grouphug: and more :grouphug:.

My daughter will be 15 in November so I have waded through those waters....

When my daughter started budding, I took her out and bought her a sports bra. The little kind....not the athletic sort.

She was also still in school then and wanted something on since they were dressing out for PE in the 4th grade.

Generally over the next couple of years we would talk about body hair and start preparing her for her menses.

What I have been told is that depending on the family history of when women start in your family will give you a rough idea of when your daughter will probably start her cycle.

Yes...like Mom to Aly said....if you eat a lot of soy products that can also cause budding. I had a friend whose 6 year old was really developing....her doc said it was from the soy milk they drank.

:grouphug: Mom's....exciting times ahead.....

Thanks for the replies so far. I feel better that it seems to be, based on this anecdotal evidence, fairly common. It does make me feel better that they can stay buds for a while. I will try to remember to breathe.

I want to mention that I wrote a bad sentence because it made it sound like dd was excited about developing. She was excited by the tooth fairy and seems oblivious to developing breasts. I'm in shock because I was a late bloomer AND my blooming was, um, rather subtle. Also because she's always been significantly smaller than kids her age. I brought her home from school last year, in part to preserve her childhood...hadn't banked on this thing I can't control.

Good point about the father's genes. The women on her father's side are probably early developers. It would be easier to deal with that as the source rather than soy products (we eat 'em) or hormone laced dairy (we eat some of those too).

Is this considered early puberty?

I don't know if it is technically early puberty or not, but it's happening here too. DD started even earlier, though...just after she turned 8! We've moved slightly past the bud stage already...

I did some reading on the subject and found that medical folks suggest that periods will come approximately 2 years after breast buds arrive. I'm thinking I'm gonna have a 10 yr old with a period here. Poor baby. I agree with the poster who said that she's explained to her daughter that she is still a "little girl." No reason to call a 10 year old a woman, IMO. Too much pressure.

:grouphug:

In all of my experience (haha!) it may have something to do with genes on either side, but it really does seem like EVERYTHING is happening earlier. When I look at the Sunday school class - about 15 little girls in 5th grade- my dd is the LEAST developed, and she has been wearing little bras for almost a year (make it a fun outing! Or give them to her as a Christmas present...).

I remember that when I was in school, it was VERY unusual to have 5th graders developing physically - I think there was one girl in my 5th grade class who started her monthly cycle. Now, at the BEGINNING of 5th grade, there are at least 6 in dd's Sunday school who have started.

:grouphug:... keep buying her dolls, and letting the tooth fairy come to your house... let her be a little girl as long as she wants.

It has actually helped my schooling with her this year, as I can look at the daily cryign jags and KNOW it is not me, but the hormones. Because really, would I want her to sob uncontrollably when she can't find her green colored pencil?

30 years ago......before all the hubbub about soy & hormones in milk and stuff....

I was 9 yrs old when I started needing a bra. I actually wore one in 5th grade, so I was 10 1/2 with the memory of actually wearing one. But I remember buying it in the summer. So I think we bought it the summer between 4th and 5th grade. That would put me at 10 yrs. (That was the day when you started k at 5 yrs old, too!) So, brea$t buds at around 10, adn then I started my period within 2 weeks of my 12th birthday. I don't know if there is still that amount of time between the 2 but for me, the one didn't immediately mean the other.

My girl's experiences...

no. 1 buds at 7yrs old! Body hair at 9. Menstruation 11.25yo Weight 55kg.

no. 2 buds at 11. Body hair at 11. Menstruation 13.5yo. Weight 50kg

no. 3 buds at 9. Body hair at 9.5. Menstruation 11.75. Weight 50kg.

I have heard, and it seems right in my girl's cases, that after the appearance of body hair, menstruation will be at least 1.5yrs - 2.5yrs. Bud development is not so reliable an indicator because some girls will have not much development when periods come, and bloom afterwards - while other girls are quite large up top and still not have their period.

Also a weight of around 50kg is the key time! Keep watching the scales! Of course this won't help if they are very small frame girls, or the other way around.

HTH