Menu

Oak Meadow Integrated Health and Fitness....

...uses Glencoe's Health: Making Life Choices in their Integrated Health and Fitness course.  It's $110, and I would like to find it on sale or used.  I realize that specific book is scheduled in their syllabus, but is there any way I could substitute another health book that I could get for a more reasonable price?

Does the syllabus list a chapter's name or topic or does it just say, "Read pages 1-10"?

Also, if you've used this course, please review it for me.  I want to focus on the positive aspects of health and minimize mental health and behavior disorder issues.

Dd loves fitness and health.  She's preparing to run in a half-marathon soon. She is the perfect picture of health, and she will thrive on a well-planned health course.  I also have TTC Physiology & Fitness as well as TTC Nutrition Made Clear as supplements.

What did you like about OM Integrated Health and Fitness?  

What did you dislike about it?

PS... I plan on buying the syllabus in May when it goes on sale, and I will buy the individual books used/on sale from Amazon so that I can avoid their high $180 price tag for the whole package.  

We used the Glencoe book.  I chose it because it had human sexuality integrated and not as a separate book.

It was fine.  I don't remember it focusing on dark mental health issues.  It seemed fairly balanced to me.  I think my son got something out of it.

I bought the textbook used for a couple of bucks on Amazon, ISBN 065811189. 

Syllabus says to read pp. ## - ## in textbook, and sometimes lists the topic.  Each lesson in the syllabus has a topic heading. 

I haven't used the course yet.  My rising 9th grader will use it in the fall.  My other high schooler used something different, but after looking at OM health wished she'd used it instead.  It's fairly straightforward and sensible.  The mental health section does not strike me as dark.  Of course, you can always choose to skip/substitute any portion.  I plan to condense parts to try to fit it into a semester instead of a whole year.

Good for your dd for training for a half-marathon!  I hope she enjoys the race and does well!

• Like 2

Check Amazon.  I searched for that and several editions came up.  There seemed to be several low priced used copies available.

I have no experience with it myself. 

I'd think even if you go with an older edition than what is used you can easily wing something like that if it does not line up perfectly.  No way in hell would I pay that much for a health book.

I bought it when OM had a sale (20% off maybe?) because it was cheaper that the prices on Amazon. I sold mine for about 75% of what I paid for it when I was finished. It worked out fine. The book is assigned by page number and the course is well worth it.

• Like 1

I bought it when OM had a sale (20% off maybe?) because it was cheaper that the prices on Amazon. I sold mine for about 75% of what I paid for it when I was finished. It worked out fine. The book is assigned by page number and the course is well worth it.

Thanks, Debbie!

Just clarifying... Currently, the Glenco text they use is $110.  This is driving me to consider other health texts.  You did say that the text is assigned by page numbers, but what about by topics too?  For example, if the syllabus says read pages 10-20 on cardiovascular health, then I could probably use another text (that I could buy cheaper than $110.)

I wish they had a sample of the syllabus available to view.  That would make it easier for me to know what to buy.

Also, if you've used this course, please review it for me.  I want to focus on the positive aspects of health and minimize the somewhat strange and dark mental health and disorder issues even though I know these will be part of this health course..  

I find this language hurtful to people with mental illness. Mental health issues are real medical issues just like cancer and diabetes and arthritis. When we use language like "strange and dark" to describe these conditions, it contributes to the stigma that mental health sufferers face in our society. We can't eliminate the pain of mental illness, but we can make sure not to add to the pain of those who suffer from it by using language that doesn't disparages. It used to be that a cancer diagnosis brought shame and stigma to a patient. Thankfully, that is no longer the case. Let us show the same compassion for mental illness.

It sounds to me as if you want to focus on preventive health care rather than a study of disease. I understand this impulse. It is painful to talk about disease. Disease (mental and physical) can be heartbreaking. I am not speaking about your decision to study or not study disease, only of the language used in this thread to describe mental illness. I'm asking you to consider using inclusive language when referring to mental illness.

Your dd sounds amazing, and I wish you luck in your health studies.

• Like 1

I find this language hurtful to people with mental illness. Mental health issues are real medical issues just like cancer and diabetes and arthritis. When we use language like "strange and dark" to describe these conditions, it contributes to the stigma that mental health sufferers face in our society. We can't eliminate the pain of mental illness, but we can make sure not to add to the pain of those who suffer from it by using language that doesn't disparages. It used to be that a cancer diagnosis brought shame and stigma to a patient. Thankfully, that is no longer the case. Let us show the same compassion for mental illness.

It sounds to me as if you want to focus on preventive health care rather than a study of disease. I understand this impulse. It is painful to talk about disease. Disease (mental and physical) can be heartbreaking. I am not speaking about your decision to study or not study disease, only of the language used in this thread to describe mental illness. I'm asking you to consider using inclusive language when referring to mental illness.

Your dd sounds amazing, and I wish you luck in your health studies.

Cosmos, I never intended to sound hurtful.  

Your second paragraph better describes my intent.  

Cosmos, I never intended to sound hurtful.  

Your second paragraph better describes my intent.  

I know you didn't mean to be hurtful! You seem very sweet and so does your dd. :) That's why I said something. When someone nice says something hurtful, I figure it's because they don't realize it's hurtful and would want to know. I don't talk to people who are mean and nasty, because what's the point?

• Like 1

Thanks, Debbie!

Just clarifying... Currently, the Glenco text they use is $110.  T

I did understand that. That is the same book and the same price they had when I bought it. They do have a spring sale, I think in May. If you decide to use the Glencoe book, wait until then to buy, and know that you can do well reselling, so your end use cost is not that high. 

OT:  Not for Oak Meadow, but if you are open to something else, this is the textbook I bought for DD. She will take the 9th grade course beginning in August. The book has good reviews on Amazon and I am hoping DD will use this book all of her life. I bought the hardcover edition because of that.  I bought it on Amazon from Quality School Texts in OH for $7 + $3.99 shipping. Below is from the TTUISD description for the HIGH FPF / Online course, which is one semester:

NOTE: I just searched on Amazon for this textbook. Apparently it was in a price war that bottomed out. You can buy the hard Cover edition for one cent plus shipping at this time. Here's the link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0736046623/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2_har_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1428011421&sr=1-1&keywords=Fitness+for+Life+%28updated+5th+ed.%29.

Description:
By taking this course, students will increase their knowledge of basic physical fitness and mental health. This course will challenge students to develop physical, mental, social, and emotional fitness as they learn how to incorporate the five health-related components of fitness into their exercise program safely and effectively. Through study of exercise, diet, nutrition, stress, and consumer health, students will be able to make healthy choices to help maintain fitness and wellness throughout their lives. View TEKS.

Required textbook (Sold separately):

• Corbin, C. B., and Lindsey, R. (2005). Fitness for Life (updated 5th ed.). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
  • Like 1