Menu

Science Curriculum

Dragonfly_Mom

Just wondering what suggestions anyone has for a good science curriculum to start next school year (August 2015). I have an up coming 2nd graders and Kindergartener. I was kind of debating between Real Science for Kids and Apologia. To anyone who has used either of these: can you tell me what you liked and disliked? Or if there are other science curriculum that you would recommend. 

Thanks

for that age, we have really enjoyed Sonlight science, it is a little pricey though. They have some great Discover and Do videos for experiments so those are pretty nice just on their own and the books have lots of pictures so are very engaging. I wouldn't do Apologia for that age range. My second grader has tagged along for Apologia this year and is probably the youngest I would want to use it with. It's a great curriculum but can get a little repetitive and wordy at times. 

For that age group, Nancy Larson was a hit around here. They retained information and the science "experiments" were very doable. It's a hefty price, but worth it. I wish they had a 5th grade program.

This is what I use currently. Love it. Easy to use, no planning, very hands on, and my kids retain the info well.

I've blogged about it quite a bit. If you want to read about what it looks like in our homeschool I can link up later.

• Like 2

We are doing REAL Science Odyssey Earth and Space right now and we are not really a fan. We have had a few expirements fail on us (and DH is a scientist!) and it is hard to gather some of the items we need every week.

We are going to go to A Reason For Science next. It is all inclusive and that seems like a better fit for us. Though honestly my son gets science just by living in this house. We are always talking about it.

I would look at the samples online both at grade level and around and base your decision on that.

I also love BFSU. No, it's not open and go, but all it takes is a little reading on your part and maybe ordering some books from the library or googling a video. I like that it is very hands on and conversational instead of just book work.

• Like 1

Guest iteachwisdom

If anyone wants to look into Classic Science (www.eequalsmcq.com), it is low cost and looks good. The firs science course is free (life science). it is  36 week downloadable curriculum. Take a look at it. I have poured over it and will be using it for first grade. The next one is Earth Science, then Chemistry, then Physics for 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade respectively.  It looks thorough, and fun, and has plenty of hands on activities.  

Once we hit fifth grade we are migrating over to Apologia. I have done a ton of reading over the curriculums, and for getting my kids engaged in the world of science at this stage, its great!!!!  I'd rather spend the big bucks for middle and high school! :)

Hope this helps!