Menu

Can highschool and AP chemistry and biology labs be done in a small living space?

Hello,

We may end up homeschooling for high school and I am wondering if the lab work for AP Biology and AP Chemistry can be done easily in a small 2 bedroom apartment without a porch or outdoor space. We do have access to a workshop downstairs that might be a possibility and we do not have much storage space at all since we are already very crowded in here:)

I appreciate your help.

Ideally you can open and work near a window for some chem labs.  It's not ideal to do labs in the kitchen, but I suppose if you do a very thorough job cleaning up after it'll be ok.  We have a heat proof folding camp table we use for heating stuff.  Another idea is a sheet pan. That way you won't burn your table.  Stay clear of curtains and shades.

We have done some stuff outside, but it's not really ideal because if there is any sort of breeze it can blow out the burner. 

We haven't done bio yet, but I'd think there would be less issues with biology. 

I'd have issues with chemistry. Fumes that should be outside, chemical spills, etc. If you pick carefully, you might be able to find labs that can be cone inside -- especially if you work on a small scale. However, I find a larger scale is much more fun.

I teach chemistry lab out of my garage, and what I do I wouldn't take inside.

I have never gotten through a Chemistry class without doing some labs outside or in the garage. I don't know if you could really do the labs required for AP Chem without being able to get some fumes outside. You might consider having your child take Chemistry at the local CC instead of doing AP at home for a more complete lab experience.

On the other hand, AP Bio labs can be done in an apartment with no problem at all. This one is easy :). 

Yes. However, you might want to consider doing labs all at once over the summer, and then if you do have some toxic ones, maybe you can go somewhere to do some of them (a friend's, a relative's, take a class--I've seen classes for doing all the labs for a class in 2 days--just straight labs). That might be helpful since you don't have much storage space either. My dd did all her biology dissections in one day in the summer, and it was a great way to do them--one time set-up, one-time cleaning up the mess! Plus she had all the tools out--it was painless to go from one to the next and she remembered techniques as she went from one to the next, more than she might have if there had been weeks between dissections. It made me wish we had done more labs "in a day" like that!  Even if we did labs a couple hours a day for a week...so many options!

• Like 2

Also, check into disposal instructions. We've found things even in Thane and Kosmos kits that really, really shouldn't be just washed down the drain without being treated first because of potential groundwater contamination.

I'm planning to go visit my parents for the more dangerous/toxic labs-my dad is a Physical chemistry professor :).

• Like 1