Menu

BTDT: Gluten, Egg, and Dairy Free Pizza? I'm unsure but giving it a try tonight! ETA: Pics

IfIOnly

I've usually cheated one way or another with our food allergies when making pizza but am really hoping this recipe (tweaked of course) tastes okay. I'm using Bob's gluten free pizza flour (bought in bulk because little packages are too expensive) plus a little sugar though for the dough, and the sauce recipe is from All Recipes. So, as I type that out, I'm just making the vegan mozzarella cheese in the first recipe. Ha!  Suggestions and tips are most welcome.

As a general rule, when it comes to pizza and vegan cheese, I put the cheese under the toppings. So, crust, sauce, cheeze, toppings in that order. I learned it from Tofurky whose vegan pizza was the first that had cheeze on it that I actually liked. :0). It's also something I find you need less of than you might with a dairy cheese.

• Like 2

Thanks, mamaraby.  I'm trying my hand at making my own DF cheese to hopefully save money.  Unfortunately, I added brewers yeast to the cheese recipe and it's just way too yeasty rather than cheesy tasting. Regretting that I didn't follow the recipe as is the first time around, but the family liked the taste test.  We'll see how it tastes on the pizza soon.

• Like 1

Hope it turns out!  We make GF, DF, EF pizza all the time.  Of course, it's also free of lots of other stuff due to our allergies.  :)  A bit envious that you can "cheat" - wow.  We don't have the cheating option here unless we want to break out the epipen and spend a day in the hospital.

I either make a crust from scratch or have used Bisquick GF mix (Bob's is not safe for us - X contamination issues), or we buy frozen Kinnikinnick crusts for when we're in a hurry.  We top with homemade sauce and add on toppings.  We've had no luck with DF cheese, so we just skip it.  Weird, huh?  

If your cheese turns out, will you post how to do it?  Would love to try!  Daiya has not been a favorite here, but that's all we've tried so far... DS would be excited if there's another option.

Good luck!  Have fun.

• Like 1

20150320_201039_zps86i01sjc.jpg

20150320_201610_zpsz6smmuu1.jpg

Well, it wasn't bad! Def. a learning experience. But,hey, I did it! A step in the right direction for my family and they all liked it. I'm the most particular of the bunch. :P The cheese consistency was like a thick alfredo sauce. I doubled the cheese sauce recipe for each pizza.  The cost to 4x the recipe was $1.40 so def. a savings over buying store bought dairy free specialty cheese.  But, I'll keep tweaking and looking to find an even better "cheese" for pizza.

• Like 2

Hope it turns out!  We make GF, DF, EF pizza all the time.  Of course, it's also free of lots of other stuff due to our allergies.   :)  A bit envious that you can "cheat" - wow.  We don't have the cheating option here unless we want to break out the epipen and spend a day in the hospital.

I either make a crust from scratch or have used Bisquick GF mix (Bob's is not safe for us - X contamination issues), or we buy frozen Kinnikinnick crusts for when we're in a hurry.  We top with homemade sauce and add on toppings.  We've had no luck with DF cheese, so we just skip it.  Weird, huh?  

If your cheese turns out, will you post how to do it?  Would love to try!  Daiya has not been a favorite here, but that's all we've tried so far... DS would be excited if there's another option.

Good luck!  Have fun.

Well, we can but shouldn't! Fatigue and GI and mood issues are our main symptoms. Wow, I can't imagine hospitalization being a risk.  That sounds tough. And, I totally get pizza without cheese. Not weird at all!  

For the cheese, I just followed the recipe as is (except adding 1/4 cup brewer's yeast) but 4xed it.  I put everything in my Vitamix and blended it up.  Then, I put it in a pan and cooked it as the recipe suggested and set is aside.  After cooking the crust, I put the sauce on and then glopped the "cheese" over it.  I tried to spread it with a knife without mixing in the sauce too much.  That's about it. 

• Like 1

For an alternative that is really very *different*, I can heartily recommend a pizza (GF dough is fine) topped with hummus and roasted veggies (roast them beforehand)....I like mushrooms, red onions, summer squash, anything.  Delicious!  And GF and vegan to boot.

• Like 3

Your pizzas look yummy! Fatigue, GI, and mood issues aren't fun either

I finally got the link to work (don't know why it wouldn't on a different device) and it's out for us - cashews - but, man, it looks good!

Hope the crust was good too. :)

Your pizzas look yummy! Fatigue, GI, and mood issues aren't fun either

I finally got the link to work (don't know why it wouldn't on a different device) and it's out for us - cashews - but, man, it looks good!

Hope the crust was good too. :)

I read in the comments that you can use any nut or seed.  I would think almonds would be a mild alternative but am pretty sure someone tried sunflower seeds with success.  I've read so many cheese recipes tonight though, so it could have been a comment on another recipe.

The crust was pretty good although a bit overdone.  Next time, I'll lower the oven temperature.  I also use 1/2  Bob's GF pizza flour and 1/2 millet or another GF flour for almost all my baking and subbing wheat flour.  Someday I'll get brave enough to make my own (more whole grain) mix from scratch though!

Not sure if there are additional allergies, but if you can have soy, then you might want to look into Druid's Grove which sells cheese making kits and/or Miyoko's artisan vegan cheese book. Both get pretty high reviews and are on my wishlist. Vegan Richa also has some recipes for vegan cheese you might be interested in.

• Like 1

Not sure if there are additional allergies, but if you can have soy, then you might want to look into Druid's Grove which sells cheese making kits and/or Miyoko's artisan vegan cheese book. Both get pretty high reviews and are on my wishlist. Vegan Richa also has some recipes for vegan cheese you might be interested in.

I saw several recipes today a bit more involved than cheese sauce, but still pretty simple, that looked so good. I'm going to have to try some next. Thanks for the recommendations!

• Like 1

For an alternative that is really very *different*, I can heartily recommend a pizza (GF dough is fine) topped with hummus and roasted veggies (roast them beforehand)....I like mushrooms, red onions, summer squash, anything. Delicious! And GF and vegan to boot.

Do you put cheese on it? It sounds good without, and I think that's what you meant. Just making sure!

I've got to make some gf/df/ef pizzas in a couple of week, mine are just gf but we are cooking for someone who is egg and dairy free. I was just going to use Bob's Red Mill mix (which the kids love) with flax eggs and top it with daiya cheese. It looks like from your recipe that you didn't do any egg substitute with the BRM is that right?

• Like 1

I've got to make some gf/df/ef pizzas in a couple of week, mine are just gf but we are cooking for someone who is egg and dairy free. I was just going to use Bob's Red Mill mix (which the kids love) with flax eggs and top it with daiya cheese. It looks like from your recipe that you didn't do any egg substitute with the BRM is that right?

I did the flax egg sub suggested on the package and it turned out fine. I used the Bob's GF pizza mix instead of the other recipe.  Yes, it is a good mix! Yum! I add a bit of sugar and sub instant yeast though.  

http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes.php?recipe=1466

One of my vegan recipe books has a white bean crust pizza that we have done several times.  I was skeptical but its good.  Just an idea :)

This sounds yummy, and I use white beans a lot in my cooking. I'm guessing the recipe calls for eggs though? We could do so much more if we could only have eggs!

This sounds yummy, and I use white beans a lot in my cooking. I'm guessing the recipe calls for eggs though? We could do so much more if we could only have eggs!

Nope. Vegans don't eat eggs (or dairy). You can probably shortcut your search and look for vegan Gf recipes and it will pretty much take care of the no eggs/dairy part all on its own.

I think the "Oatrageous Oats" cookbook (also vegan) has a cauliflower pizza crust. She's also really great at giving GF subs.

Vegan Richa has a few GF crusts:

Cauliflower Pepita - http://www.veganricha.com/2014/06/cauliflower-pepita-chia-crust-with.html

Oat flour/white rice flower - http://www.veganricha.com/2015/02/vegan-thai-pizza-gluten-free-crust.htm

Minimalist Baker should have some, too.

• Like 1

Nope. Vegans don't eat eggs (or dairy). You can probably shortcut your search and look for vegan Gf recipes and it will pretty much take care of the no eggs/dairy part all on its own.

I think the "Oatrageous Oats" cookbook (also vegan) has a cauliflower pizza crust. She's also really great at giving GF subs.

Vegan Richa has a few GF crusts:

Cauliflower Pepita - http://www.veganricha.com/2014/06/cauliflower-pepita-chia-crust-with.html

Oat flour/white rice flower - http://www.veganricha.com/2015/02/vegan-thai-pizza-gluten-free-crust.htm

Minimalist Baker should have some, too.

Oh, oops! Just reread Pam's post recommending a VEGAN cookbook and recipe. Thank you. :)