Menu

Anyone try MBTP for a dyslexic?

I looked on MBTP forums for 2e using their curriculum. My dilemma is the program looks good to me. I love great lit and having science unit studies looks ok too. But it just looks hard to implement at this point. We're still cobbling together one sentence thoughts while writing. And when I scribe the ideas are brilliant but not exactly grammatical. Any advice on using or discarding the idea? There's a used curriculum sale this weekend and I'm hoping I can look through some actual books but IDK if it would be available to look at.

I've recently been putting more emphasis on science as DS's strong suit. I want to put more play in his strengths instead of a bunch of time into weaknesses which is hard. Probably MBTP wouldn't be a great fit then, right?

I am dabbling with it with one of my 2e kids.

We are getting the readers on kindle and then turning on the audio voice and making the text big as a kind of immersion reading.

I do scribe for the writing. It is going to be rough for my kid no matter what we do. I love his ideas and I use the writing assignments to show how to put those ideas into something richer. Mine has a strong vocabulary but his written voice sounds years younger because his output abilities are mixed.

I'd say dabble by buying a book guide or two and see how it goes. :)

• Like 1

When I Google MBTH, links about proteins show up. Would you please provide a link? I am curious now.

Eta|. MBTP...I have never looked at those materials before. Looking over them now, I cannot see a reason not to use them. They seem expensive and don't follow a 4 year history cycle, but that may not matter to you. Modify/accommodate when necessary. The science seems expensive for an early grammar staged student. Maybe try a unit and then model it with library books for other topics.

I am dabbling with it with one of my 2e kids.

We are getting the readers on kindle and then turning on the audio voice and making the text big as a kind of immersion reading.

I do scribe for the writing. It is going to be rough for my kid no matter what we do. I love his ideas and I use the writing assignments to show how to put those ideas into something richer. Mine has a strong vocabulary but his written voice sounds years younger because his output abilities are mixed.

I'd say dabble by buying a book guide or two and see how it goes. :)

This is a brilliant idea.  I was thinking of getting a science unit guide so I could try that out.

When I Google MBTH, links about proteins show up. Would you please provide a link? I am curious now.

Um... that was a typo.  It was supposed to be MBTP for Moving Beyond the Page (I fixed it). 

Sorry!  :leaving:

That's what I get for phone typing at 3 or 4 in the morning!

I bought MBtP for my dd9 last year.  I really wanted to love it,  but it didn't work for us.  I think it is a fine program, but one of the things that was hard for my dyslexic dd is that there is a lot of writing and very little writing instruction.  I have since realized that her writing instruction has to be really systematic. If you have any specific questions about the program, let me know. Buying one unit is a good idea. I bought my curriculum used on their yahoo group. 

• Like 1

Lots of writing, lots of school-style busywork.  The woman who wrote it had never homeschooled but was just a ps gifted teacher.  And you know how that is, if you have a degree you KNOW something.  ;)

Use videos so he can get advanced content and make more connections than what he'd be limited to with age-typical (even for gifted) materials.  My ds is synthesizing and making all kinds of connections with the videos he watches.  It's just a fabulous, fabulous modality for him right now.  I can't fathom that slogging through a book would cause him to learn more.  Now as part of our mix I did get the BJU online science and heritage studies, which we really like.  With those there's an ebook and when it says to pause and read I read it to him.  That's fine and he gets that experience.  But for just really learning and quenching the thirst, it's videos.  (Discovery, History Channel, Prime, etc.)  To me the curriculum videos are handy for filling in odd gaps in his understanding.  Like in the Heritage Studies they were exploring the concept of community.  For where he is socially, this is actually very intriguing to him and their attention to details like how to read a map, etc. interested him.  He wouldn't necessarily get those details by watching lots of random videos, and he's the type who might miss those details.  For someone more typical, like my dd, that extra detail was unnecessary; she just seemed to pick it up environmentally.  So I guess know your kid.

• Like 2

I used a few of the lit. units with my dd, and we really enjoyed them. We used level 7-9 when she was 9-10. At that level, anyway, the writing assignments were very doable, and I appreciated there being more than one assignment option for most lessons, so I could choose the one that best suited her abilities. Many of them included filling in charts, venn diagrams, etc., which was very helpful.

I would suggest buying one unit on a topic you think would interest him, and give it a shot!

• Like 1

I bought MBtP for my dd9 last year.  I really wanted to love it,  but it didn't work for us.  I think it is a fine program, but one of the things that was hard for my dyslexic dd is that there is a lot of writing and very little writing instruction.  I have since realized that her writing instruction has to be really systematic. If you have any specific questions about the program, let me know. Buying one unit is a good idea. I bought my curriculum used on their yahoo group. 

Yes, I think that it seems like I'd love it but it would probably not be a good fit for DS, especially as reading/writing/spelling need to be done a certain way.  And honestly, a lot of our read alouds are either literature from a good list, science text, or some other subject I feel like reading.  I'd rather spend extra time doing science than working longer on writing.  Goodness knows we spend enough of our day just on remediation!

• Like 1

Lots of writing, lots of school-style busywork.  The woman who wrote it had never homeschooled but was just a ps gifted teacher.  And you know how that is, if you have a degree you KNOW something.   ;)

Use videos so he can get advanced content and make more connections than what he'd be limited to with age-typical (even for gifted) materials.  My ds is synthesizing and making all kinds of connections with the videos he watches.  It's just a fabulous, fabulous modality for him right now.  I can't fathom that slogging through a book would cause him to learn more.  Now as part of our mix I did get the BJU online science and heritage studies, which we really like.  With those there's an ebook and when it says to pause and read I read it to him.  That's fine and he gets that experience.  But for just really learning and quenching the thirst, it's videos.  (Discovery, History Channel, Prime, etc.)  To me the curriculum videos are handy for filling in odd gaps in his understanding.  Like in the Heritage Studies they were exploring the concept of community.  For where he is socially, this is actually very intriguing to him and their attention to details like how to read a map, etc. interested him.  He wouldn't necessarily get those details by watching lots of random videos, and he's the type who might miss those details.  For someone more typical, like my dd, that extra detail was unnecessary; she just seemed to pick it up environmentally.  So I guess know your kid.

Your first sentence is enough to discourage me from it, unfortunately.  After DS's public school gifted teacher made an impression on me, I'd rather work with What if the Wolf were an Octopus?

I agree about videos and documentaries.  I'm probably going to post in gen ed about that because DS is bright but documentaries have yet to really interest him as of yet.  So I want to get some good ideas.  I'll have to look into BJU.  But I'm trying to dedicate science to more hands on experiments and less reading to help really make things stick. 

I used a few of the lit. units with my dd, and we really enjoyed them. We used level 7-9 when she was 9-10. At that level, anyway, the writing assignments were very doable, and I appreciated there being more than one assignment option for most lessons, so I could choose the one that best suited her abilities. Many of them included filling in charts, venn diagrams, etc., which was very helpful.

I would suggest buying one unit on a topic you think would interest him, and give it a shot!

I'll try maybe a unit and see what I think, as that type of variety is likely something I won't bother with for a lit assignment.

I tried MBTP with my older kiddos when they were young (just one lit unit, way below level for oldest/dyslexic) and I loved and hated it at the same time.  I loved the depth of questions about the literature.  I hated the worksheets/writing required, which pointed out how very weak of writers I had (the worksheets led to boatloads of tears.)  I tried MBTP again years later with both dd's (for science & soc st), and that was mixed as well.  dd12 did not do well with it at all (dyslexic tendencies, found the reading beyond difficult to understand in the 11-13 level, which honestly I also found challenging.)  dd7 loved it and did great with the 8-10 level, but she has no problems with reading & writing!!   For a dyslexic child, you would need to modify a lot...either scribing or omitting worksheets, and reading most of the stuff aloud.  You may even need to paraphrase things to make them understandable (in the older levels especially.)   That said, the 7-9 level was a lot of fun...the science kits and such, and I think would be fun regardless of dyslexia.    Just be careful of overloading...you're likely going to be spending a lot of time remediating dyslexia, and MBTP could cause you to feel pressure to complete too much....if you're going to use it, use it in a relaxed fashion, maybe planning to spend more than a year on a level.  It is nice to have the unit studies already pulled together for you.

• Like 2

I really wanted to like it and I have looked at it so many times but it is just a mismatch that would not work for us. In order to maintain interest I would have had to level up for literature, but then the writing would be too much overall and too much of a workbook style for my boys. I agree with Minerva too about not enough writing instruction for my kids. It just would not be a good match at all.

• Like 2

Your first sentence is enough to discourage me from it, unfortunately.  After DS's public school gifted teacher made an impression on me, I'd rather work with What if the Wolf were an Octopus?

I agree about videos and documentaries.  I'm probably going to post in gen ed about that because DS is bright but documentaries have yet to really interest him as of yet.  So I want to get some good ideas.  I'll have to look into BJU.  But I'm trying to dedicate science to more hands on experiments and less reading to help really make things stick. 

Well is he a kinesthetic learner?  It makes sense to go really hands-on if he's kinesthetic, but not every kid is, dyslexia or no.  You might just try a variety of things and see what clicks.  Whatever makes him light up is what you should be doing.  :)

• Like 1

Well is he a kinesthetic learner? It makes sense to go really hands-on if he's kinesthetic, but not every kid is, dyslexia or no. You might just try a variety of things and see what clicks. Whatever makes him light up is what you should be doing. :)

Yes, he's always tinkering so I'm trying to incorporate a lot more into the studies. It's more effort from me but more fun for him and we're finally transitioning from homeschooling just being a better fit than public school to actually good(ish).

• Like 1

Have you seen the K'nex education kits?  They come in different levels and topics.  We're doing the bridges kit right now, building and pairing it with a book of pictures of bridges.  Then you can look them up online and see videos, look at where they are on the map, etc.  K'nex has AMAZING roller coaster kits.  Not the predone ones with the weird tracks but the older style with the tubing.  You combine kits and make your own coasters.  There's a forum for it.  I have some kits saved up and am excited to get him started.  I figured his first set would be his reward for finishing Barton 3 (which isn't soon, sigh).  Meanwhile we're building through the Knex 52 model set.  We just did the bomber, and wow was that amazing! 

Have you seen the K'nex education kits? They come in different levels and topics. We're doing the bridges kit right now, building and pairing it with a book of pictures of bridges. Then you can look them up online and see videos, look at where they are on the map, etc. K'nex has AMAZING roller coaster kits. Not the predone ones with the weird tracks but the older style with the tubing. You combine kits and make your own coasters. There's a forum for it. I have some kits saved up and am excited to get him started. I figured his first set would be his reward for finishing Barton 3 (which isn't soon, sigh). Meanwhile we're building through the Knex 52 model set. We just did the bomber, and wow was that amazing!

No, I'll look into it. We have a regular roller coaster but it's still in the box (sigh). I'm considering Lego education but they're so pricey.

OTOH, I just started calling the math linking cubes "dragon eggs" (after months of just tolerating math but that he's good at), and surprise! Math is fun! Or at least better. And we have Lego adventures where the minifig is needing something and to get out he has to say his doubling numbers and 10 number bonds. The best part is I ask DS to come up with a story each time :)

I also invested in engineering is elem unit I'll have to check out.

• Like 1

Ooo, I haven't seen the Engineering is Elementary stuff!  I'll go look!   :)

The Knex science kits are less expensive.  They go half price on amazon before Christmas.  Don't even ask what you can blow on amazon with their deals from Oct to December, mercy.   :coolgleamA: 

I'm with you that lego education stuff is neat but crazy expensive.  I've got the GEMS unit Frog Math that my ds keeps bugging me to get set up.  It starts with Frog and Toad and gets into all kinds of math in a hands-on way.  I picked it up used on amazon for a pittance.  Might be another direction to look.  GEMS has all sorts of nifty units on science and math topics. They will include reading lists as well.  :)

• Like 1

Displace, here are a handful of book titles to consider for hands-on science and literature....Reading Strands Understanding Fiction teaches the user how to apply the Socratic Method when reviewing stories with your student.  Use How to Report on Books to expound on what story elements are discussed.  Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method provides 100 experiments that teach the SM using critters that you capture from your backyard.  E-M's Giant Science Resource Book is filled with integrated science sheets that can be used to supplement science books from the library, science, and animal encyclopedias, documentaries, and science kits.  Inspiration software and basic mindmapping can be used to support the writing and projects.

• Like 5