Menu

I'm thinking of buying Eyewitness books......

Once

Ancient Rome, Ancient Egypt and Bible Lands. Anyone have praise or criticism for these DK books?

I want to buy them for next year as a supplement. They are on sale right now but the reviews seem mixed for at least one of them. I'd love to hear any opinions on them...good or bad!

TIA

We have 20 or so of the Eyewitness series books. I used to try to buy whatever books in the series that corresponded to what we were studying or to my son's interests.

He perused the books quite a bit more from about 8 to 11 years old. The text was just enough to spark his interest or to help him decide that he really wasn't interested in pursing that particular piece of information. We found that the content was factual but there was never enough of it. On the other hand, my son was often distracted by all the pictures/images and felt that the books were too 'busy.'

I still do collect the books when I find them cheap at garage sales, but I no longer find that they're worth spending much money on. My son is now almost 14, so I think it depends alot on the ages of your children as to whether they're worth buying or not.

Just my 2 cents

Sue

SW in IL

Thanks Sue and Rosy!

I had heard from the Amazon review that the Bible Lands book was anti-Christian since it presented several OT stories as mere myths that did not actually happen. Does anyone have this book and want to give feed back?

We have taken out many Eyewitness books form the library but they do not have the Roman or Egyptian one. I was curious to see if people thought they were twaddle or not. With two young boys they tend to gravitate to the non-fiction and I thought these would be a good picture book of the times.

I'm listening. :bigear:

The way the text is kind of scattered around the pages, with long photo captions in small type . . . My son used these as the spine for science one year and really hated them. It was very difficult for him to tell what information was important. And, when all was said and done, there wasn't a lot of content.

I thought he would like them because they were so colorful and had such great pictures, but it seemed like they were more of a distraction than anything.

The EyeWitness books are wonderful, but I don't know if you want to buy them when you can borrow them from the library. My library owns all of them. Then if you dc are absolutely in love with them, you can always buy them. I personally save buying for things my children will be devouring, like readers.

Unfortunately, this is what I had suspected. Some people really like them and some people do not care for them. My kids like them but the ones that we all want our library does not have.

I had not considered a difference btw the science and history ones. It makes sense that the history topics would suffer from a lack of connections. Perhaps if we only used them as a supplement the connections could be drawn from other sources.?.

I'm guessing nobody has the Bible Lands one. ????? Still undecided about that one.....