Menu

Birds and the Bees? Check!

Today, I gave my 11 yodd all the nitty gritty about the birds and the bees. She was blissfully clueless and she had some very cute questions about the whole thing. Questions like "when you and Daddy did that (past tense)....." I explained that we actually still do it regularly. :001_smile:

She handled the whole thing very well and it was very comfortable. I had been waiting until she started asking questions and in the last two weeks a couple of things have come up that made me know it was the right time! The best part is that our 2nd child is a boy, so dh gets to do that one!! I've done my work! ;)

Today, I gave my 11 yodd all the nitty gritty about the birds and the bees. She was blissfully clueless and she had some very cute questions about the whole thing. Questions like "when you and Daddy did that (past tense)....." I explained that we actually still do it regularly. :001_smile:

She handled the whole thing very well and it was very comfortable. I had been waiting until she started asking questions and in the last two weeks a couple of things have come up that made me know it was the right time! The best part is that our 2nd child is a boy, so dh gets to do that one!! I've done my work! ;)

That's great. I remember my ds thinking we'd only done it 4 times. He was shocked we still do it. Then he wanted to know when. sputter. Kids are so funny.

I've done my work! ;)

:lol::lol:

Congrats on completing your "assignment."

I've done most of the talk with dd. Basically I gave the woman's side of the story about AF and where babies come from. I told her that sp**m come from the husband but managed to avoid telling her how it gets into the uterus.

"How do the sp**m get in there, mom?"

"Oh, honey, they manage when your married."

Hopefully I can hold off on that part a couple more years.

Way to go, Mom! I'm sure you're relieved that it's over and that it went well.

My son asked WHEN we do it! My husband and I had planned to talk to our boys together, but he was working when a situation came up and I felt I just had to talk to them then. It was weird at first, but turned out fine.

Chelle

:lol::lol:

Congrats on completing your "assignment."

I've done most of the talk with dd. Basically I gave the woman's side of the story about AF and where babies come from. I told her that sp**m come from the husband but managed to avoid telling her how it gets into the uterus.

"How do the sp**m get in there, mom?"

"Oh, honey, they manage when your married."

Hopefully I can hold off on that part a couple more years.

LOL! Yes, my dd knew that it took a sperm and an egg, but for some reason it took her forever to ask how the two meet. She never really did ask that specific question, but now she knows. :001_smile:

That's great. I remember my ds thinking we'd only done it 4 times. He was shocked we still do it. Then he wanted to know when. sputter. Kids are so funny.

My friend told me that their dd asked if that was what they were doing during their Sunday afternoon naps. She said, "What could I say? So, I told her.....NO.";););) She wasn't quite ready to give up her Sunday "nap" time.

I bow to you. GREAT job......as the mom of an 11 year old dd, you've given me the courage to tackle it.......tomorrow :-) ("Tomorrow...." in the Scarlett O'Hara sense!) LOL!

High Fives,

Astrid

I had quite a few tomorrows in there! But, yesterday we were with my cousin who is pregnant and not married. So, she asked me about that and I felt it was a good lead-in.

When I had a discussion like this with my daughter at 8 (not way nitty gritty but the essential where babies come from and how) she was astonished. The poor thing wants siblings soooooo badly that she went into her room and came out later with a calendar with almost every day labled "Do The Sex." She said she was pretty sure we could manage a sibling "if we would just follow this schedule."

I saved it. :001_smile:

MomOfOneFunOne - this is the funniest thing! I'm glad you saved it. She'll get it a kick out of it too someday.

WTG, Mindy - I've found that the sooner you talk about it and the more you talk about it, the easier it gets. It amazes me how open my sons are with me - even when they take me off guard. Dh is kind of a Ward Cleaver type, bless his heart, and he'd still be waiting for the right time to talk to them.

I explained that we actually still do it regularly. :001_smile:

Smart. I have a friend who actually made it all the way to college thinking her parents had only done it three times. Her roommate had to disabuse her of that notion, and she was mortified, both at her parents and her own naivete. So when her own children were old enough to learn about the birds and the bees, and she was asked how many time she and daddy had done it, my friend said, "Oh, hundreds of times." She wanted to save her daughter some mortification. I had to ask, "so, uh, how did that work for you? Achieve your goal?" No, still mortified. But I think the child will get over it.;)

MomOfOneFunOne - this is the funniest thing! I'm glad you saved it. She'll get it a kick out of it too someday.

WTG, Mindy - I've found that the sooner you talk about it and the more you talk about it, the easier it gets. It amazes me how open my sons are with me - even when they take me off guard. Dh is kind of a Ward Cleaver type, bless his heart, and he'd still be waiting for the right time to talk to them.

Do the sex! That is hillarious!!!!

Amy, I told dd that daddy knew that I was explaining everything and that if she had any questions she could talk to me or daddy. Tonight dh said to her, "So, I heard you learned all about the birds and the bees today." She was happy to chat with him about it too. It was cute. They got to share a little moment also. :001_smile:

came out later with a calendar with almost every day labled "Do The Sex."

That is HILARIOUS - and now you don't have to think of any special "theme" or "ice-breaker" or anything like that at her rehearsal dinner! Heck, you could just give her a framed copy as a wedding present - I'm sure her dh would adore you!