Menu

Stainless Steel Appliances

Night Elf

Do stainless steel appliances go with any style kitchen? Does the color of the cabinets make a difference? Would the sink also need to be stainless steel? I also have a built-in microwave about my stove. I'd love to talk my DH into all new appliances. I'm tired of all black. We'll probably move in 5 years or so and the kitchen will definitely need to be updated.

I've had stainless with both dark cabinets in our last home and with antique white in our current. Both looked great. In our last house we had a black fridge but the stove and dishwasher were stainless; here all appliances are. I think you can mix and match depending on your layout ( ie: do you see them all at once or are some hidden from view?). I don't think the sink matters; ours is stainless but I'd looove to have a white farm sink.

Both kitchens were remodeled before we bought the house, so I've never replaced any appliances. I'm not sure I'd spend the extra $$ for stainless, unless it really completed your look. I personally love Smeg appliances (http://www.smegusa.com/), but you'd have to have the right modern-retro layout for those to work.

Fyi, I hate my stainless steel. It is super streaky after I clean it and shows water drips and fingerprints like no other. I'm going back to white with any new appliances we buy.

• Like 5

Fyi, I hate my stainless steel. It is super streaky after I clean it and shows water drips and fingerprints like no other. I'm going back to white with any new appliances we buy.

There's no way I'd do stainless steel again, either! I can get it clean, but it seems like the first time someone walks past it (doesn't even need to touch it), there are smudges again.

• Like 4

If you are updating for resale, do stainless. I see buyers go 'ahhhhhh' when they walk in a kitchen with stainless appliances. Black is the next best. At least that's this year....

Sinks do not have to match, but should be something lovely. You spend quite a bit of time with a sink and faucet in the kitchen. Make it the prettiest you can afford.

My stainless appliances do need wiping down a time or two a week, especially the dishwasher.

• Like 1

We have stainless.  It's not immaculate, but I thought my white looked generally worse in terms of showing grime.  Kitchens get messy and used.  I think white looks institutional, but I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.  We have a stainless sink too but I've seen it mixed with sinks that match countertops too.

I think there are different finishes for stainless. Mine isn't super shiny and I don't have any issue with fingerprints. Can't remember the last time I've cleaned the outside of any of my appliances. That might be a consideration if you do go that route.

I love my stainless. It's still new, but my ds works in appliances and he brought me a stainless steel cleaner to go with it. You spray a tiny bit on a cloth or paper towel and the fingerprints come right off.

I also have a 7yo so there is no shortage of fingerprints, lol.

I still have my white freezer and no immediate plans to replace it.

The downside of going all stainless instead of mix-and-match is that you can't use magnets on stainless, so no alphabet letters for the littles and you'd need tape, funtack, or a bulletin board for the olders' artwork and school papers.

Stainless definitely has ooh and aaah value and might attract the attention of a potential home buyer.

[quote name="Iron Ethel Flint" post="6245852" timestamp=

The downside of going all stainless instead of mix-and-match is that you can't use magnets on stainless, so no alphabet letters for the littles and you'd need tape, funtack, or a bulletin board for the olders' artwork and school papers.

Stainless definitely has ooh and aaah value and might attract the attention of a potential home buyer.

Some stainless is magnetic. Ours are.

I wonder how well the avocado color did in the 70s. :tongue_smilie: I thought stainless steel was supposed to be fabulous. How would I know which finish is best? I do like a refrigerator being magnetic though. I've got all kinds of reminders and pictures on my fridge. Maybe I should just stick with black. At least it's a known quantity. (is that how you say that?)