Menu

What English components are needed for 5th grade?

Mom28kds

Ok, I'm trying to decided between just one English book which has things lined up for me like CLE or pulling together my own by buying things like Winston Grammar, Wordly Wise, IEW, (which I'm using anyway) and a Spelling program (maybe phonetic zoo). If I split it up and use several things I just want to be sure I'm covering everything. I've used CLE before. I like it's simplicity but concerned the number of pages will be overwhelming to my son. I also like how it teaches right to him. I think he might do better with the cards for Winston Grammar (It seems to be something that has helped my kids) other than drawing a bunch of arrows. With one of my older kids I did CLE along with Winston Grammar but it will be too much for my upcoming 5th grader. Thanks for any idea :)

I do need to keep it as simple as possible because he has attention issues. 

I found with my attention-issues son that keeping things as *interesting* as possible was the way to go.  Have you considered MCT?  Once you get over the fact that it's not laid out in discrete lessons (this took me well over a year!), it's open and go.

Ok, I'm trying to decided between just one English book which has things lined up for me like CLE or pulling together my own by buying things like Winston Grammar, Wordly Wise, IEW, (which I'm using anyway) and a Spelling program (maybe phonetic zoo). If I split it up and use several things I just want to be sure I'm covering everything. I've used CLE before. I like its simplicity but concerned the number of pages will be overwhelming to my son. I also like how it teaches right to him. I think he might do better with the cards for Winston Grammar (It seems to be something that has helped my kids) other than drawing a bunch of arrows. With one of my older kids I did CLE along with Winston Grammar but it will be too much for my upcoming 5th grader. Thanks for any idea :)

Grammar

Composition

Spelling (including dictionary skills)

Reading (not learning how to read, but reading a variety of genres, some literature analysis, learning skills such as skimming, reading for detail, recognizing imagery, etc.)

Most traditional English texts will cover the grammar and composition (which will also include things such as learning to use imagery and whatnot that are also being taught in reading); R&S's English series includes using reference materials such as dictionary, thesaurus, and so on (with dictionary skills being taught and reinforced in Spelling by Sound and Structure). It is only publishers such as ACE, Alpha Omega, and CLE that include everything in one tidy little Pace/LifePac/LightUnit (although isn't it ACE that has a separate composition??).

Even though I like Wordly Wise, I would probably not do both spelling and vocabulary. Spelling by Sound and Structure is my favorite traditional spelling series.

Perhaps Easy Grammar would be better than Winston Grammar for your ds.

• Like 1

We are doing grammar, writing, spelling and literature. I am adding in vocabulary because my kids need it. We use phonetic zoo which is pretty independent and I'm going to use vocabulary workshop which should be pretty easy (I'm thinking 15min tops). Reading is books picked by me along with the books recommended to go with VPSP history. I expect most of my teaching time will be spent on grammar and writing. 

Another all-in-one is English Lessons through Literature. My girls love it (only used it for six weeks so far). It includes grammar, literature, composition, narration, copy work, dictation (spelling if you use the free spelling journal), poetry, art study, and short stories. It's really wonderful.

We would be doing R&S English but I took the plunge with Memoria Press's Grammar Recitation instead.  So for 5th grade we have that, R&S Spelling, Classical Composition Narrative, Memoria Press Literature and Poetry.  No vocabulary- get that in Latin and its also in our literature guides.

I do like R&S English and would probably feel okay doing just that for grammar and writing.  Our Latin studies influenced our grammar choice, but I think R&S is still my favorite in some ways!

We are doing grammar, writing, spelling and literature. I am adding in vocabulary because my kids need it. We use phonetic zoo which is pretty independent and I'm going to use vocabulary workshop which should be pretty easy (I'm thinking 15min tops). Reading is books picked by me along with the books recommended to go with VPSP history. I expect most of my teaching time will be spent on grammar and writing. 

How do you like Phonetic Zoo? Do you have a natural speller or one that struggles? Is it helping?