Menu

The downside of Facebook

poppy

You can send out an event and people can one-click respond. You then get a list of everyone who's attending without having to cull the names from an email and write them down, and people who alter their response automatically update. 

This. And it keeps conversation and discussion all corralled in one place, unlike email, where people are responding at different times, to different emails, maybe forgetting to "reply all," not noticing one email string while accidentally starting another, etc. 

• Like 4

This. And it keeps conversation and discussion all corralled in one place, unlike email, where people are responding at different times, to different emails, maybe forgetting to "reply all," not noticing one email string while accidentally starting another, etc.

Exactly. It's easier for the organizer and the participants IME as both.

• Like 2

Safe posting in order to be PC just seems like FB small talk. 

While I don't safe post in order to be PC, to me FB is for small talk. Small talk has a place in social interactions.

I don't see FB as a place to have deep conversations. Some people think they do, but sharing memes and forwarding controversial statements or media stories from questionable sources isn't the way to have a deep conversation. So yeah, kid, grandkid, pet photos, and small talk. That's what facebook means to some of us.

• Like 3

While I'm not a Facebook hater, there are other options like Evite that allow everyone invited to an event to respond and comment on a central location.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I don't like FB is because I guess it reminds me of how old I am getting. I admit, it is fun to look up friends from high school. However, it often comes as quite a shock as to what they look like now. Graying hair and weight gain. What, who's that? No way, we aren't that old yet!  Lol!  It's still nice to  picture friends as they were in the good ol' days.  Then they post themselves with their grandchildren. (I am still raising my kids.) It reminds me that I am glad I started my family late and the kids are keeping me 'young'!  Oops, time to go out for a bike ride now...

I agree that there are both positives and negatives to Facebook. I like keeping up with people that live far away and seeing their children grow up in pictures. It is a good way to keep family updated with pictures all at the same time. I also like how convenient it is for event planning and knowing what is going on.

The negatives are that bad information spreads like wildfire and there is a definite lack of quality. People also tend to share their political rants or views on nutrition and vaccines etc that I do not care to see. People also can tend to really lack a filter online and call people idiots for not believing like they do.

I keep mine very simple, uncontroversial and boring. I don't use it as my soapbox. It is a very poor format for that anyway. Some times though I do like things that I know some people could make judgements about.

• Like 2

While I'm not a Facebook hater, there are other options like Evite that allow everyone invited to an event to respond and comment on a central location.

True, but Evite isn't already a staple in the vast majority of people's online lives. Facebook is (and I am a FB hater :lol:). And Yahoo Groups and Google groups have horrible, miserable interfaces and, IMO, are not user friendly at all. 

• Like 1

True, but Evite isn't already a staple in the vast majority of people's online lives. Facebook is (and I am a FB hater :lol:). And Yahoo Groups and Google groups have horrible, miserable interfaces and, IMO, are not user friendly at all. 

Yes. I loathe evite.