Menu

Science without a textbook

sdobis

I'm fairly convinced that I'm not going to use a science textbook until high school with my upcoming 6th grader. I haven't found any texts that I like, and I'm confident in my ability to pull together books from the library. 

Are there any written curricula that don't use a textbook? There's so many history curricula that don't use them, but I'm having a hard time finding something like that for science. We are young earth creationists, but can replace books if necessary.

Thanks, Hearts and Minds. I have been looking at Guesthollow. This may be what we end up using as a guide. I really do love her stuff. I was looking into Sonlight, but the price scares me off. I may look at it again to see what I'd actually have to purchase. I'm also interested in Heart of Dakota, but don't want to purchase an entire curriculum guide for only one subject. I  love to hear if I'm missing something else that's out there. I knew everything else that we were going to use next year, so maybe I'm just trying to desperately curriculum browse.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to use God's Design for the Human Body as a spine for an anatomy class. I don't know if I'll make it a full year course or just a semester. These books are YEC and are very light. This way I can add many other resources to it without feeling like I'm overdoing it. We are for sure using The Body Book and Lyrical Life Science #3 with their text and workbook. We'll add in some easy readers to help with my daughter's reading and vocabulary. I'm looking for ideas from Guesthollow, Winter Promise, and Sonlight.