Menu

Charter School - how to find?

MomOfABunch

After reading the other charter school thread, I got to thinking about the benefits, but I can't find any homeschool charters nearby? Are there any and I just don't know where to look? I'm in northern VA.

They would be listed as charter schools, not "homeschool charters." Not all states have charter schools of any kind. If your state has any, you could probably find out by doing an Internet search with those key words: "charter school [your state name]." You'd be able to tell by the description if the charter school is home-based or campus-based.

As said, not all states have them.  Or more specifically, not all states pay for them.  You can opt to pay for one yourself. 

I'm referring to stuff like K12.  I don't know anything about something called a homeschool charter. 

Many charter schools, at least in California, are physical, not virtual; they have stipends for their students to pay for textbooks or other materials, classes, etc.  It's a charter school first, then home-based or an Internet based (there are campus-based charter schools, as well, where students actually show up each day). For the Internet-based charters, students are enrolled in the charter schools, not K12; IOW, they're enrolled in California Virtual Academy, which requires/provides K12. Connections Academy is another Internet-based charter school.

It is a misnomer to refer to it as a "homeschool charter." 

• Like 1

Many charter schools, at least in California, are physical, not virtual; they have stipends for their students to pay for textbooks or other materials, classes, etc.  It's a charter school first, then home-based or an Internet based (there are campus-based charter schools, as well, where students actually show up each day). For the Internet-based charters, students are enrolled in the charter schools, not K12; IOW, they're enrolled in California Virtual Academy, which requires/provides K12. Connections Academy is another Internet-based charter school.

It is a misnomer to refer to it as a "homeschool charter." 

Misnomer or not, the term is common parlance, at least in California.

For example: http://www.time4learning.com/homeschool/charter_schools.shtml

http://a2zhomeschooling.com/regional/us/california/california_charter_schools_homeschooling/

https://www.facebook.com/MountainHomeSchool

http://charter.uhsd.k12.ca.us/

• Like 1

That's what people call it, but if you want to find one, you won't find an official designation of "homeschool charter."

People should refer to things by their proper names; otherwise, confusion ensues, as in this case when legally, children enrolled in homebased charter schools are legally *not* homeschoolers but are actually public school students. That legality makes a difference.

That's what people call it, but if you want to find one, you won't find an official designation of "homeschool charter."

People should refer to things by their proper names; otherwise, confusion ensues, as in this case when legally, children enrolled in homebased charter schools are legally *not* homeschoolers but are actually public school students. That legality makes a difference.

I understand that this is your oft-repeated, legalistic interpretation, but it's nonsensical IMO to tell people who homeschool their children through a public homeschooling charter that they aren't homeschoolers. That would be like me insisting that people who file an R-4 aren't legally homeschoolers, but are instead small private schools (because CA statutes do not expressly authorize homeschooling). It's divisive to keep telling people who instruct their children at home that they aren't homeschoolers.
  • Like 4

I understand that this is your oft-repeated, legalistic interpretation, but it's nonsensical IMO to tell people who homeschool their children through a public homeschooling charter that they aren't homeschoolers. That would be like me insisting that people who file an R-4 aren't legally homeschoolers, but are instead small private schools (because CA statutes do not expressly authorize homeschooling). It's divisive to keep telling people who instruct their children at home that they aren't homeschoolers.

Please read carefully. I did not say that people are not homeschooling if they enroll their children in charter schools. I said that *legally* their children are public school students, not homeschool/private school students, and subject to public school statutes. And yes, when people in California file an R4 their children are legally private school students, which means they are subject to private school statutes, not public school statutes. Others here have debated whether charter school people are homeschooling or not; I haven't. I have stayed strictly with the legal status of the children, which is that they are public school students.

I read carefully. You said that we aren't homeschoolers. Full stop. And my point is that, by your definition, neither are people filing an 4R homeschoolers. They are private schoolers. Your distinction is hurtful and not even meaningful in CA, where statutorily, there is no such thing as a homeschooler.

• Like 2

I read carefully. You said that we aren't homeschoolers. Full stop. And my point is that, by your definition, neither are people filing an 4R homeschoolers. They are private schoolers. Your distinction is hurtful and not even meaningful in CA, where statutorily, there is no such thing as a homeschooler.

Whatever.  If it hurts for someone to say that your children are *legally* public school students, then you're over sensitive.

And I am agreeing with you that people who file an affidavit are private schoolers.

There is a difference between being a private schooler and a public schooler.

I'm moving on.

Whatever.  If it hurts for someone to say that your children are *legally* public school students, then you're over sensitive.

And I am agreeing with you that people who file an affidavit are private schoolers.

There is a difference between being a private schooler and a public schooler.

I'm moving on.

I don't know why you feel the need to resort to a personal attack.

You wrote: 

"People should refer to things by their proper names; otherwise, confusion ensues, as in this case when legally, children enrolled in homebased charter schools are legally *not* homeschoolers but are actually public school students." 

You wrote (with emphasis, I might add) that we are not homeschoolers. Those are your words, Ellie. Why is it difficult for you to understand that such a statement might be hurtful to people who invest the same substantial emotional and financial resources in educating their children as people who file an R4? It is a tremendous commitment to be a homeschooler -- one which I take seriously. So yes, I resent being told (repeatedly) by you in various threads that I am not a homeschooler. If that fact makes me "over sensitive," then so be it. 

• Like 2

It appears there are 7 public charter schools in Virginia. Here is the link: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/instruction/charter_schools/charter_schools.shtml

In WA there are also virtual charter schools. I will look and see about those. Virtual Virginia looks to be the major online option: http://www.virtualvirginia.org/index.html

This might also help, but it looks like it might just be approved coursework for schools todo transcripts and virtual learning all combined into one. A bit of weeding might be necessary to sort out the actual virtual providers and the other options. The drop down tabs appear to be this kind of filter: https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/amop_public/

It appears there are 7 public charter schools in Virginia. Here is the link: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/instruction/charter_schools/charter_schools.shtml

In WA there are also virtual charter schools. I will look and see about those. Virtual Virginia looks to be the major online option: http://www.virtualvirginia.org/index.html

Thanks for the link. None appear to be the variety discussed in the other charter thread, so mystery solved. Oh well, I would totally do some additional paperwork and testing to get an educational stipend per kid!

According tomy quick searching, charters were approved in 2010 and only really got establish and regulated with real boundaries in 2013-2014. So it looks like this sort of stipend program might not quite be to Virgina yet. We did one in WA for the first couple years, but with the budget crisis the just chopped the program to nothing and we left. The hoops to jump through were a serious pain, but over a thousand dollars a year was hard to pass up.