Menu

Pre-test for AoPS Pre-Algebra

Prior work with fractions, decimals, and operations with negative numbers are the prerequisites.  For the most part, the pretest indicates that, though I'd want more experience with fractions than the pretest requests.  I'd also probably want an intro to percents.

• Like 1

Any idea why?

One reason the mismatch happens is because you can't make clear the depth of AoPS in a pre-test format. It tests for the minimum computational skills needed; it does not test for the ability to read math or the maturity needed to struggle through tough problems.

The other reason is that the writers of AoPS want you to get problems wrong. The whole program is designed that way. The only way to design a pre-test is with the goal of getting a certain number right. For that reason, the problems must be easier than they will be in the actual text. So the pre-test isn't totally useless as a guide, but it should not be the only factor when considering readiness.

• Like 1

So, not factoring in the depth and complexity factor, and determining readiness, do you think that the pre-tests at least give a fair summary of what content needs to be covered before attempting that level?

Yes.

So it is more 'don't consider it until you have covered these skills'?

And yes.

I went to the site to look at the Pre-A pre-test since it has been awhile. I definitely think it is a fair representation of skills you need to have covered.

quoting Wapiti:

Prior work with fractions, decimals, and operations with negative numbers are the prerequisites.  For the most part, the pretest indicates that, though I'd want more experience with fractions than the pretest requests.  I'd also probably want an intro to percents.

Yep, this.

I also think that an intro to exponents would be helpful. AoPS is going to start at the beginning with every one of the topics covered in the book. It is just going to move very quickly from 'this is a fraction/exponent/etc.' to 'solve really tough problems using fractions/exponents/whatever'. My dd benefited from already having at least some familiarity with every topic covered in AoPS. I'm sure that some kids don't need that intro, so like always, ymmv. :)

More intro to percents than what is in Singapore 5/6? What else would be recommended? Key to Percents?

What about for exponents? If we have done those chapters in BA is that enough? Other additional resources?

More intro to percents than what is in Singapore 5/6? What else would be recommended? Key to Percents?

What about for exponents? If we have done those chapters in BA is that enough? Other additional resources?

I don't know what's in Singapore 5/6, but assuming it's at least comparable to MM, that should be enough for an intro to percents.  

My kids only had very basic exposure to exponents before AoPS Prealgebra; maybe ch 2 would have been easier if they had had more experience going in.  While I can't remember what's in BA for exponents, I'd feel pretty confident coming from BA even though there's no 5 yet.

• Like 1

Everything in BA is working to prepare someone for Pre-A. It is really cool to see the connection. So yes, I think the BA exponent coverage is enough.

My kids only had very basic exposure to exponents before AoPS Prealgebra; maybe ch 2 would have been easier if they had had more experience going in.  While I can't remember what's in BA for exponents, I'd feel pretty confident coming from BA even though there's no 5 yet.

My son did this--went from BA4 B (the most recent BA book at the time) to AoPS Pre-A--and the exponent coverage in BA was definitely sufficient. We did do some work with fractions, decimals, integers, and functions using the MM Blue series because most of those hadn't been covered in BA (yet. They are now, or will be in a few weeks). So far it's been enough, but we haven't gotten to the percents chapter yet. He's done some of it in Khan Academy, though. My daughter will be going from BA4 D into Pre-A, and we won't need to use the MM books since the second half of BA4 is/is about to be out. If the fifth grade books were out we'd definitely use those first, and I'm sure that'll be preferable when it's an option. I have complete confidence that the complete BA series will be sufficient preparation when it's finished.