Menu

How does a university get my dd's home phone number?

My dd is a junior.  She took the PSAT both sophomore and junior years, and has been receiving mail and email from various universities.

Today, she got a phone call from XYZ Univ asking her if she'd like to receive more information about that school.

This makes me wonder... how did the university get our home phone number?  Student Search Services (College Board) says they don't share student phone numbers.  Dd has never responded to any of the univ mail/email to provide further info. 

???

Is your number publicly listed?  If so, it would be easy to find with her surname and address...

That must be what they did, as our phone is publicly listed.  I wish I knew which university called.  Dd said she didn't catch the name, just told the caller "no, thank you."

I got a really strange email in January that looked like it was from College Board but referenced an SAT my kids weren't signed up for. I am pretty sure it was very slick pfishing. I'd be suspicious of phone calls that weren't in response to something the student initiated.

Hmm.  I know she hasn't responded to any mail or email -- at this point she is in "I just don't want to think about college" mode.  She hasn't opened any of the mail and she puts the email into a separate folder, unread. But she got a second call this afternoon.  Maybe these calls will force her to think about college... which could be a good thing.

A few years ago we had a school call my son after he took the ACT.  It was a day before we were able to see the score, but they obviously had seen it.  I assumed that the phone number was passed on with the score.  I never thought about them just looking it up.

I remember my oldest went on some church youth group summer trips.  Those sponsoring groups had a box to check if it was ok to share your contact info with colleges affiliated with the sponsoring denomination.  I know some of them called us.  We got lots of ads (email/mail) from taking ACT, but I don't recall other phone calls from that.. just from the religious camp form that we said ok.  The places she applied called. but that's not relevant.