Menu

Resources for learning ASL?

I am not sure what ages you are looking for, and we have used quite a few of the resources others have listed. Of course, for the younger set we LOVE Signing Time for vocabulary...

Funnily enough I just recieved an email from Two Little Hands Productions (that make SigningTime) and they have announced a Kickstarter campaign to raise money for their next level: teaching ASL grammar and sentence structure. I am adding the link for anybody who might be interested. The campaign seems to start Friday so there is not a lot of available info except on Facebook for now:

https://m.facebook.com/SigningTimeRachel/photos/pb.121888342226.-2207520000.1424919267./10152678911517227/?type=1&source=54&refid=17

• Like 3

My kids are ages 0-11, mom and dad also want to learn. My husband is hard of hearing and may be totally deaf some day, so we figure it is a good idea for all of us to start learning to communicate visually.

Thank you everyone for the resources posted so far, I am exploring them.

• Like 1

My kids are ages 0-11, mom and dad also want to learn. My husband is hard of hearing and may be totally deaf some day, so we figure it is a good idea for all of us to start learning to communicate visually.

Thank you everyone for the resources posted so far, I am exploring them.

For the kids, definitely take a look at the Signing Time series. They are DVDs done in vocabulary themes, like outdoor signs, kitchen signs, etc. lots of songs and movement, and fun.

There are some episodes on YouTube for samples, the library generally has them, and many PBS stations have started playing them. It is a great way to get started and will make it fun as well...

• Like 1

This year we are using ASLuniversity.com (same as lifeprint.com).  The first 15 lessons are free and you can purchase a CD with lessons for the next fifteen lessons.  Each set of 15 lessons is a college semester (the videos are taken of a student sitting with him during a class at a college in Sacramento).  The video quality is not fabulous, but it has worked and we have learned a lot.  The other day I was able to have a conversation with a deaf Mom that I didn't know. I learned where they had lived before where the kids went to school, where she worked, what ages her kids were, opinions about the quality of our library-regular first meeting kind of conversation.  She only had to finger spell a few words for me.  So I think the lessons are very effective.  I did have a few live ASL classes that were free and informal before doing asluniversity, but my 17 year old son has only done it and could have had the same conversation with her.  

I second the signing time videos (for everyone!) and you adults can do the asluniversity and then teach it to the kids and practice with each other.  The older ones could watch it to, and some of my youngers have but it is a college class and not geared to them.  The teacher has a sense of humor.  He is hard of hearing and married to a Deaf woman, so I trust his knowledge.  

Also spend daily time practicing fingerspelling.  I really like the link for that from the ASLuniversity site.  All the kids that are reading could do that.