Menu

math is different from when I was in school

Can someone explain to me how my math experience corresponds to the current math levels?  I took Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2, Trigonometry/Elementary Analysis, and Calculus AB.  Then at college, I started in second semester Calculus.  Followed by Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus.

So... I assume that Trig/EA is now Precalculus?  Is that right?

And I assume that Calculus AB is Calculus I and second semester Calculus is Calc II and Multivariable Calculus is Calc III?  Is that correct?

What the heck is College Algebra?  Is it the same as Algebra 2?  If not, why would someone need to take it if they had gotten to, say, Calculus?

Please explain.  Thanks!

The trig/ea course that you took probably best corresponds to precalculus now.

Calc AB is calc 1 and some topics from calc 2. Multivariable is usually calc 3.

The reason that someone might need to take college algebra if they had taken calculus in high school is that they didn't really learn anything from their calculus class. It would follow algebra 2 (intermediate algebra at a college).

Where trig goes will depend on the school and the course.  Next fall, my dd will take "Honors Algebra 2 and Trig" just as I did about thirty years ago.

However, the same school's regular, non-honors algebra 2 course does not include trig.  There is a separate course called "Trig/Math Analysis" that comes after the non-honors algebra 2.  Eta, that would be the final math course for the non-honors track at this particular school.  Any student starting high school at a level higher than regular algebra 1 would take the honors version of alg 2/trig.

College algebra is essentially the first semester of precalculus and trig is the second semester.

This was our experience, too. 

After taking Algebra 2 at home in 10th grade, my daughter took two math classes at the local community college in 11th grade.  The first quarter she took College Algebra; the second quarter she took Trigonometry.  Both classes used portions of the same textbook - Sullivan's Precalculus.

Regards,

Kareni

Collge Algebra and Trig are the courses taken after Alg 2 here if the student was successful. If the student struggled, he takes PreCalc, which has less trig and a gentler pace and depth for the algebra. HE will likely take a semester of College Alg before taking Calc at a state U.

Funny - it's the opposite here, with college algebra being a lower class than precalc! 

Collge Algebra and Trig are the courses taken after Alg 2 here if the student was successful. If the student struggled, he takes PreCalc, which has less trig and a gentler pace and depth for the algebra. HE will likely take a semester of College Alg before taking Calc at a state U.

It is the opposite here. Our higher level kids go into Precalculus.

Have have searched for college name and math sequence, then paired this with course descriptions.

For example, here is one CC with the math sequence depending on if the student plans on liberal arts or math/engineering:

http://www.swccd.edu/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=2108

(Though personally, I would recommend even a liberal arts student take something more along the College Algebra/Trig route, simple to be a more attractive transfer applicant for colleges that are impacted in CA.)  Note that there is a one semester Precalculus (this was 6 credits and met Monday-Friday) as well as a two semester College Algebra & Trig sequence that was an equivalent.

Here is a similar page for NoVA Community College, a network of campuses outside of DC.

http://www.nvcc.edu/loudoun/scidiv/math/prereq.html

I like this one because it lays out what students should take, depending on what their math goals are.