Menu

Runners/running shoe savvy people question

TwoEdgedSword

I love my Nike Pegasus 29s for running and even walking in all day long. I want to get a similar type of shoe, but something not exactly the same.

New Balance and Saucony shoes leave my legs hurting. I think I need some arch support and shock absorption for varicose veins after multiple pregnancies.

Any tips on a shoe similar to the Nike Pegasus Breathe? I'd like to have a little more info before being overwhelmed by all of the choices.

As far as running shoes go, I adhere to the old adage, " if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Every time I've tried something new, I've regretted it, except when I went from Saucony Ride to Kinvara. Love my Kinvaras! I don't even like to change between makes within the same brand.

But if you really want a change, go to a running shoe store where they will fit YOU, not just try to sell you shoes. I have to travel two hours to get to the one I buy my shoes from, but it's worth it. They are the ones that initially got me into the Saucony Rides, which have been the best for me other than the Kinvara, but there was no Kinvara when I first started shopping there. Once you find what you like, you can always buy it online if you like.

Best of luck!

Definitely go to a running store. If I remember correctly Pegasus are a lightweight shoe for a neutral strike. Just like Nike makes a variety of shoes with different support, Saucony and New Balance do as well. Take your old shoes with you so that your stride and strike can be evaluated. I personally like Brooks Adrenaline but it may have too much motion control for you.

Find out if you pronate in or out.... I pronate out, which is more rare, and shoes for this are hard to find. "Neutral" soles work well. What doesn't are shoes designed to prevent pronating inward, it doubles my issue and hurts my feet and back. I was glad to find out this and know what to look for.

Thanks all for your input! And Susan C. thanks so much for what you shared. That's exactly what I was going through with Saucony and NB. I thought I was pronating and I either wasn't, or wasn't very much. I think the Pegasus just set my foot free for a more neutral strike. The others constrained them and made me hurt all over.

All that was in the back of my mind and you refreshed my recollection of what I need. :-)

And I do plan on going back to the same running store where the Pegasus was correctly fitted for me. I just wanted to be more informed before going in.

Also, I saw somewhere that had a "walking shoe." If I'm going to get another pair for just being on my feet all day at home, going to town etc. and not running, should I get a running shoe or consider something else? I just so love the Pegasus, I just hurt if I'm not wearing them. I'm not looking for a fashion shoe at all, just looking for pure comfort for being on my feet all day.

I'm most comfortable in a neutral running shoe.  I wear various Asics for runaround shoes and wear Brooks Glycerin 12's for actual running.  I don't see why you wouldn't wear what's most comfortable.  If you're most comfortable wearing Pegasus then wear them.  I was always told never to run in walking shoes, but that it was fine to walk in running shoes, so I follow that principal.  

Also, I saw somewhere that had a "walking shoe." If I'm going to get another pair for just being on my feet all day at home, going to town etc. and not running, should I get a running shoe or consider something else? I just so love the Pegasus, I just hurt if I'm not wearing them. I'm not looking for a fashion shoe at all, just looking for pure comfort for being on my feet all day.

I think if the Pegasus are working so well for you, I would stick with them. Before I was a runner, I was a walker and I wore running shoes for that too. (I sometimes walked 100 miles/month.) I also hike in my running shoes.