Menu

Looking for online math class for ds12

lewber

DS 12 is in 6th grade at public school. He actually has a good math teacher and is technically a year ahead in pre-algebra, but that is still very easy to him. He has a lot of free time on his hands and agrees with me that he could use a challenge. I'm really looking for a challenging pre-algebra class or some math that he isn't going to be exposed to in school. Something to make him think, but not just learn early what he's going to learn next year. 

Ideally it would be online, and either self paced or available at many times in the evening throughout the week. Or maybe I should get the Life of Fred books back out. We did a couple a few years ago, but that might be something to re-visit. Hmmm. 

I haven't looked into this at all, so any suggestions will be very helpful.

Thanks! 

Art of Problem solving or Elements of Mathematics at elementsofmathematics.com.

EM is more self-paced whereas AOPS moves at a breakneck pace, but AOPS is more aligned with scope of a standard classroom (so it's easier to transfer in and out).

They are both extremely challenging and rigorous programs.

• Like 2

Math he isn't going to be exposed to in school:  at AoPS, the Mathcounts on-line class, Intro to Counting and Probability, Intro to Number Theory.  I'm not sure how much algebra is necessary for the Intro books, but the Mathcounts class he could start now.  AoPS also has an excellent Prealgebra text.

• Like 2

Thank you both so much. I was familiar with AoPS and was considering it. We went ahead and signed up for algebra 1. If it goes well, we'll try the probability one next. It looked like more fun but I think he felt more comfortable getting started with algebra- something more familiar.

I've heard so many good things about these classes, I'm looking forward to seeing what it's all about.

Another possibility is Algebra with Courtney James at math perfect. I searched high and low for a challenging algebra class. This one seems the best so far, that I could find. My son had a free consultation lesson with him and very inspired and excited about math (and that did not happened in a while).

Have you perused Quark's thread about nontraditional math education for her son? I reckon you might find some fitting suggestions there, if your DS needs things to do between online classes.

If he wants to jump straight in to something a bit different online right now, coursera has a great little course on propositional logic, which just started today. I think it's fab, and IMO it would not be beyond a bright and eager 12yo. ("Something to make him think, but not just learn early what he's going to learn next year.") :)

• Like 1

Have you perused Quark's thread about nontraditional math education for her son? I reckon you might find some fitting suggestions there, if your DS needs things to do between online classes.

If he wants to jump straight in to something a bit different online right now, coursera has a great little course on propositional logic, which just started today. I think it's fab, and IMO it would not be beyond a bright and eager 12yo. ("Something to make him think, but not just learn early what he's going to learn next year.")

This coursera course sounds very interesting, but I can't find it on their website? I'm not familiar with how it works, but I put this title into the search on their website and nothing came up?

• 6 months later...

I haven't tried this place yet, http://www.goodsofthemind.com/index.html;the teacher is Cleo Borac, author of these books, http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B00DXHDM2A.

I'm going to sign up for a summer class and then a regular class in September.

Have you tried Cleo Borac's class? The Summit Tutoring Center is an easy commute for my kids and I am still looking for a tutor that is not online.

http://www.summittutoringcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/STC-Fall-2015-Schedule-081115.pdf